Tent for BSA.

10:15 a.m. on September 14, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

My son (6 years old) wanted to join the Boy Scouts. Now as a Tiger Cub we have our first camp out coming up in October. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tent (2-4 man) that would be good for the southern region of the US?

11:19 a.m. on September 14, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Eureka Timberline 2.

Contact Johnson Outdoors (distributors of Eureka tents) they give discounts to Boy Scouts.

11:59 a.m. on September 14, 2005 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

First thing is, as a Tiger, and throughout the rest of his Cub career, he will only be doing "family camping". Individual camping is not allowed under BSA rules until the Boy Scout level, except for 2nd year Webelos when participating in an invited outing with a Boy Scout troop. "Family camping" is also car camping, not backpacking. If your son's Cub Pack goes backpacking or anything other than family camping (a parent must participate for each boy on the camping trip), they are not in compliance with the rules. The rules are driven by the Youth Protection policies (if you have not yet done so, get on your Council's website and go through the on-line Youth Protection Training. Also, go through the on-line Fast Start program).

So what you are looking for is a tent that can be used for car camping, not necessarily backpacking. Ed's suggestion of the Eureka Timberline is a good one. It is a standard tent for many Boy Scout Troops (most troops have troop gear for tents, stoves, and cook pots). You can order the 2-man from Campmor at a fair discount (99.99, minus an additional Scout discount). You will have to do the Scout discount with a phone order (last time I looked, the online forms did not have the Scout discount indicated). www.campmor.com

Many Cub families just use their regular family car camping tent. When your son gets to be a Webelos, one of the requirements is to visit Boy Scout troops to find one he would best fit (remember to make it his choice, not yours). A question to ask as he visits troops is what their equipment policies are - what troop gear is supplied, what is needed by the individual scout, and so on.

Something I will note that I have observed as a Scout leader for several decades is that the boys who benefit the most are those whose parents are involved with the unit, while at the same time encouraging their son to do as much as possible on his own. That is, in Cub family camping, give him real responsibility in helping set up the tent (but remember it is a learning experience, and he will make mistakes - make the mistakes positive learning experiences through encouragement and don't yell at him). Once in Boy Scouts, the most successful troops are those where the parent is NOT the one who handles any problems with the son, but rather a youth leader first, backed by another adult handles the teaching and any problems. In the Pack of which I was Cubmaster (and my son was a member) and the Troop of which I was Scoutmaster, we had firm rules that an adult other than the parent was the teacher, guide, and problem-solver (this got tricky when my son became Senior Patrol Leader of the Troop, but I had one of the Assistant Scoutmasters guide the Patrol Leaders Committee and act as his advisor). Most important thing is make your son's scouting from Tiger through Venturing fun. AS B-P said, Scouting is a game, with a purpose.

9:30 a.m. on September 15, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Bill and Ed,
Thanks so much for the replies!! The information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply