Load Lifter Straps...How Important?

2:42 p.m. on September 20, 2005 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

First post here with a question.

I have not been very active in the backcountry over the past 7 years, however, we have not stopped camping...30 nights so far this year.

With my 7 year old son's joining the Cub Scouts last year, my backcountry interest has been rekindled.

I am upgrading from some of my old school gear (E-frames) in favor of I-frames.

Right now 3 day packs are the focus and have determined that 3,000 to 3,600 suit my needs (smaller for my son).

I have picked up a Jansport Alpine Access 49 (3,000)http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=14&pid=TK11
and a Kelty Moraine (3,600) http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=pack&ID=150.

The Jansport has the upper shoulder load lifter straps and the Kelty does not.

With 30lb's each, I can't feel the difference just wearing around the yard.

Being an E-frame person, what kind of REAL benefits do the lifter straps afford?

Thanks

10:26 p.m. on September 20, 2005 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Load lifter straps if properly adjusted serve two purposes. One they pull the load more tightly onto your pack and two they shift some of the load from the tops of your shoulders onto the front of your shoulders. Practically speaking all this means is that the weight of your pack is distributed across more contact surface area of you body so each contact point is bearing less weight. In my experience, after a long day of hiking with a load at or above 25 lbs, my shoulders feel less tired. Don't notice much difference with very lightweights <20 lbs.

11:18 p.m. on September 21, 2005 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I have used internal frame packs with load lifters since the mid-70s. I love the adjustment and how I can vary the amount of the load that's on my shoulder.

I like to tighten them down when I want balance, say, on xc skies or scrambling. I like to loosen them a little when I am on a trail and want to put more weight on the hips.

I would go for the load lifters if its a close choice

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply