Went skiing today

10:08 p.m. on April 17, 2006 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

My goodness its quiet around here... I've been gone for a long time moving to Oregon. Hi you guys Bill, Ed, Dave, Hikergirl, et all...

I went cross country skiing today. I drove ten miles up the road to Meissner Snowpark and headed in for a quick ski. Since I live at four thousand feet in Bend I can go up to the Winter and not feel the altitude anymore. In fact I can drive 20 miles and be at Mt Bachelor ski area and take a lift to the peak and not feel the altitude there. Whats so great about this is that I was one of those people who lived at sealevel and I would start getting altitude sick around 6,000 feet, so the first night in the Sierras I was always panting - my body has adapted. I do a lot of hard work up here and I've lost a lot of weight, but it took about 4 months to stop panting while working hard here.

Its so easy to ski here, you just drive 15 minutes and jump out with your ski clothes and boots on, grab you skis and poles (and ten essentials including water) and go. I didn't stop at the board - I didn't read the signs. I picked a trail, went a couple miles and then up hill cross country and hit a trail going back towards the hut, followed it till I hit a junction with a trail sign and took the left trail home. SO how do you feel about trail signs in the wilderness? I think I'd rather be lost than see them but since they're there I guess I read em. (:->) I take my dog four wheel driving in the Deschutes national forest at 5,000 feet and its 3 miles up the road.
But then I don't really like it here in Bend.
Jim S

11:51 p.m. on April 17, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Don't like it in Bend? Well, where else ya gonna find skiing so close? Salt Lake City (actually yes, but they have smog there second only to LA)? Hey, every place has its pluses and minuses. You got away from the San Andreas, but traded it for a bunch of semiquiet volcanoes. Young Son traded the flash floods of the Front Range for the tornadoes of Wisconsin (but then his area of research is violent storms, so its ok).

Signs in the wilderness - I've been reading Laurance Gonzales' book Deep Survival, discussing who and why people get lost, die or survive disasters, etc. Problem is that most people today live in the cozy forgiving environment that is suburbia or maybe more urban (call 911 and help is only 5 minutes away). They just aren't familiar with all that can go wrong out there more than 100 feet beyond the trailhead (guy died near Tahoe a couple years ago a couple hundred feet from the parking lot when he apparently got lost). Jim, you and others here probably recall a backpack I took some scouts on in Crown Valley (near Tehipite and the Kings River) where we came across a guy who had been wandering lost for 3 days - only food he had with him was a couple cans of coke and some candy bars. The rest of his party had the main food supply. Then after we led him to where his party was camped at Spanish Lakes, it turned out they had not yet reported him missing. That was basically the same area you and I, Jim, went on one of our superlight backpacks. How can you get lost there, since there are trail signs all over the place? And why did his buddies not report him missing for 3 days?

I guess my view is that having the signs cuts down a little on the need for search and rescue. I can always head cross country to get away from the well-worn trails, signs, and crowds. And since I, like almost all my hiking, BC skiing, and climbing companions, practice LNT, those who have the skills and experience to do the same will also find no signs of our passage.

12:17 p.m. on April 19, 2006 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Yeah, sounds like you're having a real rough time of it out there Jim. Welcome back!

Trail signs? Don't bother me too much most of the time. On the other hand, I find signs and cannisters marking supposedly trailless summits really annoying.

10:48 a.m. on April 20, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey Jim!

I still envy the heck out of you man. Skiing today, wow.

It's 92 degrees here today. My camping season is over until late October.

I am currently busy putting on the 2nd Supra/Moomba Owners Jamboree (competition ski and wakeboarding boats). It will be held this Saturday at a State Park on achain of lakes about a mile from my house.

Big goings on - I have to spend the day on the beach hanging out with boat factory big wigs, pro wakeboarders and teach people a relatively new sport (in this area) - wakesurfing.

Yep, wakesurfing. You get pulled out of the water on a special surfboard, find the sweet spot in the boats' wake, let go of the rope and you can surf behind the boat as long as it is moving.

A wakesurfing team from California is coming to handle the teaching duties. Got a couple of different companies to donate eight surfboards to be raffled off to the boat owners.

7:27 p.m. on April 30, 2006 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Re: Went kayaking and canoeing today

Yo dudes,
I went down to REI to buy some new Lowa hiking boots and it was kayak day at the Deshutes River so I tried out a 2 person kayak. Theres enough current in the river to get a good test. I like the seats in Kayaks - it hurts my knees to kneel in a canoe for a long time. Then I took my canoe up higher on the river and had a good workout. Its warm here now and as I pulled into shore wearing my levis and a red flannel shirt, 5 guys and gals were jumping in with their kayaks and all the garb - they look like bicycle riders.

I broke down and bought my first pair of downhill boots yesterday, they're solomon - nice. Since its only 19 miles to Mt Bachelor I hope to use them a lot.
Jim S

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply