Backpack Reccomendations (Nepal)

9:27 p.m. on April 18, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

For about a month in June I'll be trekking the himalayas of Nepal and perhaps Tibet. I am a somewhat experienced hiker and have done lots of camping but never been backpacking before. My main concern right now is gear. I have no idea what brand to get. I need an internal frame with a somewhat large capacity. I wont' have much camping gear, as there are places to stay along the trail, but will require clothes and toiletries for the days spent in civilization, (can't pick up hot Indian girls smelling like a mountain man). All of my North Face gear has held up very well, but I know there's tons of other brands out there and NF seems a bit pricey for what you get sometimes. I don't really have an exact budget, but probably something under $300.

5:04 a.m. on April 19, 2006 (EDT)
35 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Try looking at the Gregory "Escape" Series.
I have the Triconi. The medium is 3800 cubes ($249). I haven't so-called stretch the legs on this pack yet, but my initial feedback is that this is a very comfy and will do a great job. The Baltoro ($269) in this series is 4300 cubes in a medium. I don't think you can go wrong with a Gregory. My two cents.

Wish I was going with you. Sounds like it will be a great trip! Enjoy.

12:39 p.m. on April 19, 2006 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

If you're not going to be carrying shelter, food, stove, etc. you should be able to get by with a pretty small pack -- 3500 cu in / 60 liters, maybe even smaller if you pare down the wardrobe and carry clothes that can do double-duty for trail and town.

Since you'll be spending a lot of time carrying your pack, look for something light -- you'll enjoy the trip that much more if you're not humping a huge load around all the time.

Here are a few that I would consider:

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone
Arc'Teryx Bora 50 or Bora 60
Osprey Aether 60
Gregory Reality

Fit is very important with backpacks, so try to find a local shop that carries a few different brands where you can try them out.

12:40 p.m. on April 21, 2006 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

please pay some attention to the Nepali political environment, if you already have not. things are bit different overthere now a days.

2:06 a.m. on April 26, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am, and it's getting scary and I have plenty of worries, but my ticket has been bought and I'm not about to abandon all my plans.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply