Hammock for Base Camp

6:36 p.m. on May 29, 2006 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

New here, but have been camping and backpacking, and so forth with my Venture Crew and after getting back from Seabase I was planning on going to Summer Camp with a Hammock, but am unsure of what to do. I was going to buy a Byer Traveler Hammock and use some extra climbing rope and 23kilonewton biners to anchor it to trees and was wondering if anyone who has any experience with this or other hammocks has any recommendations for the hanging or hammock choice. I should be covered in the average canvas tent at camp but was also wondering what the length of this fully extended and anchored would be, I have and extra tarp for that if need be

5:59 p.m. on May 31, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

get a Byer Mosquito hammock - the one with the mosquito net built in. You can get it at Campmor for about $50.00 When hung horizontally, it will fit nicely under a tarp that is 8 feet long.

Get rid of the hanging ropes that come with it. Get 1" webstraps for each end. Use a 6-8' foot length of strap and feed it thru the hem on each end of the hammock. Much more tree friendly and easier to hang the hammock.

For a good reference for hammock setup check out mosquitohammock.com and "Sgt Rock" has a great hammock camping forum.

5:47 p.m. on June 2, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Update:

Just noticed that campmor.com has the Byers Moskito Traveler Hammock on sale for $29.95.

I just ordered one. I now own 8 backpacking hammocks.

3:37 p.m. on July 24, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I bought a DD hammock with mosquito net from www.ddhammocks.com recently - have found it to be great value for money - cheaper than on mosquitohammock.com, its a similar hammock, very tough, and arrived super fast.
Just wondering if anyone has camped in cold conditions in one of these - they have two layers underneath to insert a mat/ thermarest into - I've never tried this, so any tips would be appreciated as I'm off for some cold weather camping soon.
Cheers,
James

5:07 p.m. on July 24, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I see what you mean about mosquitohammock.com current prices! Ouch. When I bought my jungle hammock (which came with fly) it was $60. That was less than two years ago.

What do you consider cold weather camping?

Most experienced hammock campers make themselves a quilt for when the temps fall. In addition to the quilt, many also use two sleeping pads placed in a "T" formation. The top of the T is where your shoulders lie.

Even with this amount of insulation, it gets pretty uncomfortable in a hammock when the temps start dipping below 40 degrees F. You are just too exposed to ambient temps when hanging in the air.

Do a search and find Sgt Rock's web site. Great source of info for hammock camping. Not that many folks on this board are into it.

I tried hammock camping a few times. I'm back to using a tent for sleeping and just carry the hammock to relax in. It's great to lie back, take your boots off and get your tired footsies off the ground.

Edit: here's the link to the Sgt Rock site:
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply