Wonderland Trail

10:18 p.m. on June 18, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am planning on doing the trail in six nights / seven days. There is one day along the way that will need to be a 20 mile hike...was wondering how difficult this may be since i have never been on this trail before...all help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

12:48 p.m. on June 23, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

20 miles on the Wonderland is tough pretty much anywhere.
Have hiked it twice. Should have done it last year, the flora was the best in memory! Will be hiking a section again this year. Longmire to Mowich Lake. What section were you interested in?

12:28 a.m. on July 13, 2006 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

We did it in 9 days and it seemed terribly rushed, considering the scenery. It was early September. Lots of flowers, berries, 'shrooms (take a fungi book for identification - many more types than flowers or trees).

Next time I'd like to do it in sections and take a month or more to just take the time to get off trail (where you can) and explore up and down mountain.

I agree, any 20 mile day would be tough. There are parts of the trail where you will spend most of half a day just going up hill on 'steps'. I couldn't believe that counterclock wise it is all up hill. Total up (and down) was near 28,000' as I remember somebody said who was keeping track.

Couple of good places to cache food so the pack is not that heavy.

Take lots of: fast film, 'chips', and batteries. If the weather holds you will run out...unless you do it in 6 days.

I would not make my last day going below Paradise/Mirror Lake.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply