One more new member

2:33 a.m. on August 29, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello all.
Great forum, very informative. I've actually read this board on and off for a year or so, and thought I'd jump in.

Apologies upfront if this topic has been discussed here many times before, but I just wanted to know what some of you thought about Wiggy's sleeping bags. From some of what I've read elsewhere about them, the general consensus seems to be that they're very warm, very durable....and very heavy, compared to FF, WM, Marmot, etc.....

I've looked at his website, and I know he's very proud of his product. Is Lamilite as good a fill as he claims it to be? I'm trying to keep things in perspective by factoring in the obligatory marketing hype that's going to be standard with anyone selling their own product. Maybe some of you here have owned, or currently do, some of his bags??

Hey Bill S. I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was just curious as to what you do? After reading numerous replies from you on here, I just kind of assumed you do ( or did) work for one of the outdoor products manufacturers?? Or perhaps as an educator? Not trying to pry, I just like to learn about others who have lots of experience in something that interests me...in this case, camping, hiking, outdoors, etc.....

Thanks.

9:15 a.m. on August 29, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Hi and welcome aboard.

I owned a Wiggy's overbag for several years. I found it to be well made and did what it was designed to do, which is to extend my 3 season bag into a 4 season bag. I eventually sold the overbag as it was on the heavy side relative to it's warmth. I'm not an ultralite backpacker, but as I age I do look for lighter gear.

I also own a couple of Wiggy's sleeping pads and a chair. I find the gear to be well made, but nothing exceptional.

For the most part I can't say anything bag about Wiggy's gear outside of the fact that it is on the heavy side. In general I think you can find gear of similar quality for less money as Wiggy's bags never seem to go on sale. If you shop campmor, sierra trading post and the like you will find similar gear for less money. Lamalite, as I understand it, is really just a Polarguard variation.

I've become convinced that goose down is the way to go for most outdoor applications and this runs a bit contrary to what Wiggy will post on his site.

11:31 a.m. on August 29, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Heikki -

No, I am not a member of the outdoor industry, nor a professional outdoor educator. I am just an old geezer who has been wandering the woods and hills on several continents for 2/3 of a century (the "OGBO" that appears below my name on the posts = Old GreyBearded One, a nickname one of the guys who used to frequent this website gave me). The environments range from desert (I grew up in Arizona) to jungles (Central America where I lived for a while) to the Arctic, summer heat both wet and dry, winter cold, etc.

In my various former lives, I was a university professor for 20 years or so (hence the long dissertations), then in the aerospace industry (like Brian in SLC, but a different company and different aspect) for another couple decades, but now retired to doing volunteer work for youth organizations, the Sierra Club, Leave No Trace, and some other organizations (busier now than when I was gainfully employed). So I get a chance to try out all sorts of gear and observe others. That means I have gotten to learn from hundreds, or maybe thousands of mistakes - my own as well as others. Luckily (no, no, thanks to my innate brilliance), I have done a lot more things right than wrong. And I have had a number of excellent and patient mentors and partners, some of whom have been and continue to be brutally honest (even when they are clearly wrong).

Well, that's a lot more than you really wanted to know.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply