Davis Mountains, TX

11:38 a.m. on October 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm new to hiking and one of my first trails will be Davis Mountains this November. Anyone ever hike the trails there? How about in November? I'd like to hear some experiences you've had. They say the black bears are coming back, and the javelina are easily seen. I'm looking forward to it.

--
Matthew

11:56 a.m. on October 6, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Too many years since I hiked there. But beautiful place to hike. There have always been javelina. As an astronomer by professional training, although long retired, I still have acquaintances at the observatory. There have been bear there as long as I can remember. But bear have been increasing almost everywhere, and they seem to be getting bolder, and more educated to human food sources (must be the graduates of Yosemite Bear University spreading the word across the continent).

As I recall, spring is the best time to hike, with fall a close second. Summer is hot, and winter can have occasional snow fall.

Better call the locals in Ft Davis for more current beta.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply