About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

anyone giving or receiving any cool camping stuff for xmas?

2:25 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

you might be helping others with their christmas shopping.

3:45 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts
Re: anyone getting or receiving any cool camping stuff for xmas?

I believe I'm getting a new thermorest pad - while this may not qualify as "cool camping stuff" I'll be a happy hiker if I unwrap it!

4:39 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Hi Ed,
I bought myself a christmas present, its a coleman Xcursion lamp - it recharges from the coleman xfuel bottles and since I carry an Xtreme stove they are fuel compatible. You plug the lamp into the fuel bottle like a butane lighter and it fills an internal chamber. I lit it up after it had been sitting outside all night and it works well in the 20 degree range without "selfrefriderating" the fuel bottle. Not a lot of light output, but I think it holds 1.6 oz of fuel and its been reported to last up to 6 hours. Thats pretty much sippin it like good whiskey.

Does a new wrap around downhill ski helmet count?
Jim

11:41 a.m. on December 21, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

hey - and don't tell her - but my eldest daughter (17) is getting a new chalk bag (so dad can have his back) and bouldering mat (so when she's in her late 40's, like me, her joints won't hurt quite so much in the morning!) - but mumms the word - right?

1:19 a.m. on December 22, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I purchased a Black Diamond Vectra IQ Headlamp for my brother in law. Not a bad X-Mass gift if you ask me! I had a hard time wrapping it because I wanted it for my self!
Cheers and Merry X-Mass!

4:00 a.m. on December 23, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I bought myself the Hubba Hubba from MSR. I am bubbling over with excitement. Dang snow storm, it is stuck in the wharehouse sixty miles from my house.

I think I will have to set it up in my basement and have a little camp in one night.

Okay, so I am not that excited, but I am ready for spring so that I can hit the trail.

-John

6:04 a.m. on December 23, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

If I had to deal with a lot of snow right now, I would build a quigly in my backyard (is that the right name for the snow shelter?).

You can have a night sleeping outside in your backyard and learn winter survival skills.

9:25 a.m. on December 23, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

My wife bought me a the TNF Prism Optimus Jacket (Gave it to me early). I also had a MHW Alchemy Jacket and a TNF Sticthless Fountainhead jacket on my list. My fingers are crossed.

10:10 p.m. on December 23, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

My wife is getting me a Kelty 3950 external frame backpack. (I told her what to buy.)

And I got a $100 giftcard from a local shop. With that I'm going to get a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. With the leftover money, I'm not sure, but maybe a headlamp.

12:53 a.m. on December 25, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I got Smartwool Midweight Crew top, Bottom and Hat! Thanks Santa!

5:26 p.m. on December 25, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

My girlfriend gave me an MSR Whisperlite. I took it outside and made some breakfast with it yesterday (pretty pathetic, I know..but I wanted to try it out). It won't simmer like my Apex 2, but it sure looks like it's built a lot tougher. Got my brother a TNF nylon vented shirt, a Snowpeak titanium spork, and a Columbia packable pillow.

8:16 p.m. on January 1, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

I got a pair of Black Diamond Jetstream fleece gloves. My old pair of gloves nearly had more holes than fabric left. Also, I got a pair of Yaktrax Pro for running on icy and snowy dirt roads in winter. And I was told I could buy a new heart rate monitor. I’m not sure which one I’ll buy yet -- maybe the Suunto T3 or T4.

I gave Dave a pair of Hind Radiant Pants (because I love mine) and an LL Bean long-sleeve technical zip shirt and a TNF short-sleeve zip shirt.

My two-and-a-half-year-old got a ski helmet and goggles.

8:53 p.m. on January 1, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Oh, I also got "Touching the Void" on DVD for Christmas. Not exactly camping stuff, but still fun.

1:56 a.m. on January 7, 2007 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

My family gave me a really amazing gift (to me) of an REI -5 Kilo (I sleep pretty cold) sleeping bag; now that with my Big Agnus insulated sleeping pad, I should stay plenty warm. They also gave me a TOPO! update for the Mac--now I can fly-over the terrain as I plan my trips! Very awesome for me!

3:19 p.m. on January 16, 2007 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

First post. I've been cruising around reading what you folks have to say. I can sum it up in, "Thanks for putting this together and for being civil. . .as far as I've seen. . ." I appreciate the sense of community and wish we could find it in more aspects of our lives. My wife bought me a Katadyn Vario Water treatment system to replace me Exstream purifier. That's my cool camping gift. . .

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply