About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

LOOKING for this VINTAGE backpack FRAME!

2:37 p.m. on February 12, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

hi,

i need some help finding the backpack frame shown on the picture:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/RoCKo_1975/2-1.jpg
(copy and paste to your browser, please!)

please let me know what kind of backpack frame this is!
thanks a lot!

RoCKo

4:28 p.m. on February 12, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Hi Rocko,

I'm as versed in this sort of thing as anyone and I'm stumped. Do you have more photos? Do you know a brand name or can you provide a bit more description?

7:00 a.m. on February 13, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Not trying to be harsh, but could you, perhaps, have gotten less of the frame in the picture? From the rather limited view provided it doesn't resemble any frame I'm familiar with - but for some odd reason when I looked at it my first thought was Jansport -

5:39 p.m. on February 13, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

Steve, it doesn't look like Jansport to me. I remember them using a block connector. (I think it was Jansport that had those.) That thing looks almost handmade. It looks like it has boxes stacked on it, but you are right, the picture is pretty useless.

8:50 a.m. on February 14, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

You know - you're right - and thinking back - when I was in Scouts (during a period known as "the almost dark ages" OR the late 1960's, early 1970's) a kid in my troop had a backpack that was screwed together with phillips heads and (I assume) threadserts. It did not, however, have the shelf that the frame in question appears to have.

I wonder about the reason for the individuals curiosity - could it be that they're attempting to establish value for - say - an ebay autcion?

Smile - it's icing outside - (at least here)

Steve

10:23 a.m. on February 14, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

If I had to throw out a guess, I would go with something like Himalyan. They made low to mid end frame packs back in the day and I belive were imported from Japan. The frame is certainly not a Kelty, Jansport, Camp Trails, Alpenlite ..... variety.

2:20 a.m. on February 21, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

Alan, I had a Hillary that was sold at Sears if I remember right. It had the fold-down platform and a 3/4 bag. Wasn't quite like the one in the picture though-mine had round corners.

4:54 a.m. on February 21, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Years ago I once saw a photo put out by an engineering school showing a fellow wearing a desktop computer and monitor mounted on a backpack frame. It was a spoof on portable computers.

IMHO, the unit on top shows what appears to be ampex mil spec connectors. Looks like a radio to me.

2:13 p.m. on February 21, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Tom, I remember the Hillary's being sold at Sears, but I do not recall any other details about them. That's a possibility.

6:44 p.m. on February 21, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I think Ed is on to something with the military connection-it would help if Rocko came back and gave more details-like why he wants to know what this thing is and a better pic. It could be Russian Cold War vintage gear for all we know. Maybe a backpack nuke?

11:59 p.m. on February 21, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

It looks to me like part of a costume from one of the Star Wars movies -- the one where they're battle it out on snow against those giant walking tank-like things. (A long time ago I had a Luke Skywalker action figure with a backpack and quilted outfit similar to what's visible in the photo.) If it is indeed part of a movie costume, it was probably custom-made.

12:56 a.m. on February 22, 2007 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

This is an old pack for sure. Have you tried ebay or maybe an Army Navy Surplus store also check out US CALVARY they sell alot of field equipment. Good Luck on the search....

4:46 a.m. on February 22, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Dave may be zeroing in.

The boots the "storm troopers" (or whatever they were called) wore, were actually white Hanson ski boots.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply