Mountain House Pro Packs

6:56 a.m. on March 9, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Do they actually save that much space in your pack AND do they really fit in the Jetboil pcs while you eat from it?

I actually like Mountain House meals and living in hurricane country, I buy the 2 serving meals by the case. I have a bunch of 'em.

My last backpacking trip for the year is coming up and I'm looking to cut weight and pack space dramatically for this trip.

5:00 p.m. on March 9, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

While answers flow into Ed's question, could you also suggest a good place to purchase these (Maybe Ed himself can answer that one)? There doesn't seem to be a discount anywhere and they seem to be a little pricey.

Thanks.

Blackbeard

5:52 p.m. on March 9, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Steve,

here are the best prices I have found...

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search?p=Mountain+house+pro+pack&cop=mss

6:21 a.m. on March 10, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I say yes to room saving. I like the Pro Packs for two reasons. One: they fit in my pack better and two: the two severing seems to be just a bit too much. I have found the one serving, generally 16 onces is just about right for me. The two severings are generally about 20 onces and is a tad too much.

The weight difference is very little.

As for the GCS. I eat them out of the bag. I cannot see any reason to dirty a pot when the bag even has a zipper seal so that I can shake them up a bit.

Hope that helps.
-John

6:27 a.m. on March 10, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

John, thanks for the response.

I too like to eat directly out of the mountain house bag, but the pro pack is advertised as being able to fit inside the pcs cup (use cup as a holder - food still in envelope).

Just curious if this claim is true and if the cup is stable with the envelope in it.

Last time I was camping, a deluge suddenly presented itself. In my scramble to get a rain fly up, I stepped on my brewing mountain house meal and the contents shot out like someone stomping on a packet of ketchup :)

A pro pack in a protective cup is exactly what I need.

12:08 a.m. on March 11, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Ed,

I can see where that would be a problem. I am not sure if I would put the bag into my hot cup. I assume you are using the same cup to boil your water in.

Also, I would have to try stuffing the bag into the cup. From memory, it seems like it would fit. I have not had the need as you mentioned for such a container.

The other thing you might be able to do is find a 500ml wide mouth nalgene bottle to place it into.

-John

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply