Callus under big toe - found the problem

10:48 p.m. on June 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

So I've been experiencing this problem wherein a few miles into the hike, I get this really sensitive spot right under the joint of my big toes. It makes hiking not so fun after a while. It happens in every shoe I've tried whether using a bandaid over the spot, moleskin, bodyglide, or superfeet insoles.

Did some googling and found this page:
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/mortons.htm

I'm almost positive this is what I have. Odd though, I do NOT have the callus under my second metatarsal, just the inside/underside of the big toe as well as the one under the pinky toe (but this one doesn't get aggravated or sensitive, it's just always kind of been there and I never thought anything of it)

So if anyone else is having this problem of a callus developing under their big toes, it could be this condition called Morton's Foot, funny it's also called "classic greek foot" on the website and I'm half greek!

Now to find the solution to the problem.. According to that site, the solution is to just put a piece of moleskin under the ball of your foot. How this can help, I don't know? Moleskin is basically flat, it won't change anything supportwise..

6:47 a.m. on June 19, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Hope you found yourself a fix!

11:30 a.m. on June 19, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Well, the fix seems to be the products by this site
http://mortonsfoot.com/
I'd done some reading on forums and I found a runner's forum and several have said that their product works well for this Morton's Foot thing. So I wrote to them describing my problem, waiting to hear back. For $45, if it works, can't go wrong when you consider the cost of a podiatrist and custom orthodics.

2:16 a.m. on June 20, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Well I spoke to the people at mortonsfoot.com today and went ahead and bought a pair of their insoles. I'll be sure to let everyone here know how it goes =)

3:22 p.m. on July 2, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Just wanted to let anyone waiting for a reply on this thread know that the insoles from mortonsfoot.com did not help the callus problem. They make a 6mm version as well, and that might work, however, the rest of the insole isn't of much use, there's no support whatsoever, it's just a thin piece of rubber. I much prefer my superfeet for general comfort and impact absorption. After going to REI's website, I'm now looking at some products by Pro-Tec:
http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/products/foot.html

Perhaps it might be as simple as what the Trigger Point therapy site says about sticking a foam pad on the insole under that first metatarsal. And if you look at the Pro-Tec site, they make some metatarsal pads, so the hunt continues for a cure!

10:13 a.m. on July 3, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Just curious, but have you visited a podiatrist for a professional examination and evaluation of your problem? Sometimes people who've received specific, professional training and certification do know a thing or two and can save quite a bit of time and pain.

11:07 a.m. on July 3, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

dax702:

Calluses are not uncommon in runners and backpackers. Calluses are caused by pressure, friction and sometimes injuries. I would look at the toe box on your boots and make sure that they arent too wide or narrow for your feet. If you are getting "hot spots" where the callus is forming, there is friction there. High heeled boots will also put pressure onto your toes casuing calluses.

I run quite a bit and get calluses on my longer runs. I walk barefoot around the house to "toughen" my feet up. Walking too much barefoot will give ya calluses also, so once you start feeling "warmth" under your feet while walking barefoot, stop. I also will file my calluses down with a file, soak my feet in epson salt. I never had much success with moleskin or bodyglide on my feet, for they sweat and the moleskin loosens up and the bodyglide doesnt last and just plugs my pores up. As Steve had mentioned, I would go and see a podiatrist that specailizes in sports injuries. Be sure and to bring your foot wear with you to the doctors so that he/she can see if they fit you correctly and the doctor can educate you on picking the proper foot wear for your feet.

July 13, 2014
Quick Reply