About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Anyone have Hallux Limitus ?

4:41 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I just got diagnosed by the Podiatrist yesterday with hallux limitus (Limited range of motion of the big toe) which causes a host of other problems. Anyone else have this? If so, how did you address it?

8:30 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I don't have the condition, but I have heard of it. Do you, or did you, kick things alot? I've heard that construction workers who kick things, like cabinets into place, are prone to the disorder. I found this: http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Hallux+Limitus
Depending on how much your doc. told you, it may be of some help.

10:45 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I don't recall kicking a lot of stuff. I never played soccer or anything like that. I found that page this morning and was pretty ticked off that the Podiatrist did not tell me what stage I was in. Based on that article, I believe I am stage 3. The toe joint itself does not hurt. But the other pains that are brought on by the limited motion are what I notice..

7:18 a.m. on March 27, 2008 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I would suggest going to marathonguide.com and asking this question on those forums.

One of the members, "Zeke", is a podiatrist and he gives out some great info. He has helped me get thru training related injuries several times.

12:58 p.m. on March 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Thanks for the tip Ed!

1:43 a.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Me! I have serious orthatics. I am on pair 4 of boots (one ate my heels, but made my toe so much better, I let them eat the heels...long story)! I just bought some of the old style Danners; have not really tried them out yet. I wanted something with the Norwegian stitching because of my problem.

I have used some strategies that seem to help a lot. One, I have learned some techniques to tape my feet/arches that also cut down on toe blisters, because it makes my feet behave better. These are techniques I have borrowed from other sports plus a couple of new tricks I learned from a doctor.

Secondly, good stiff soles help a bunch. Learn different lacing techniques. It ma help to tie your boots differently for uphill and down.

Next, I use poles. It distributes my weight better, and I do not have to push off so hard going up "stairs" etc, so I do not hyperflex the ball of the foot.

The bottom line is find ways to stiffen the foot--reduce the amount of bending of the toe. This will also help reduce other possible issues like Morton's neuroma, which gets aggravated by my condition, or plantar faciitis.

If you want to know more about the taping, let me know.

sg

3:43 a.m. on April 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I was giving the posture control insoles from mortonsfoot.com a fair shot but I don't think they are working for me. The people there have been more than compassionate and tried their best to help me. The stuff they say makes sense in my mind too about people should not use arch supports if they have an arch becuase the arch is the shock absorber and it's supposed to be an arch. I think my only thing left to try are the expensive orthotics. I am just dreading the thought that they don't work and then I'll be out a few hundred dollars. I missed a good hike last weekend because it was 8 miles (too far for my feet to handle) So this is really putting a damper on my newfound pleasure (hiking) Stupid feet..

1:51 a.m. on April 20, 2008 (EDT)
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

I understand! I have the legs, not the feet. With the orthotics, stiff soles, and taping, I can get 10miles from my feet (esp if I sit and rest throughout the day). I suggest you find as good a foot doctor as you can afford. Ask lots of questions. See if they can offer any good solutions for taping, etc. I cannot tell you the difference it has made.

My daughter has severe plantar fasciitis (super flat feet), and taping, etc. works pretty well for her.(One day she will have to have surgery, but for now, we can get her out using similar techniques.)

Ask lots of questions. See if you can learn some good techniques. I have kept lots of people on their feet out on the trail.

Good luck!

12:36 p.m. on April 21, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Well I have another appointment on Thursday to see the Podiatrist and then from there to go be cast for the orthotics. I've done a lot of research on the condition. It seems all the leading experts are far from me. I printed out some info to give to my podiatrist about the condition but it seems like it will be hard to present that info without it looking like I don't think he knows what he's doing.. We'll see. I really want to nail this issue because yesterday was the first day I actually had to turn back on a hike, not even halfway into it...

1:55 a.m. on April 29, 2008 (EDT)
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Any news from the doc, Dax?

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply