Polar Bears declared endangered

3:34 p.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

This just in (as the newscasters say, or is it "breaking news"?) -

May 14, 2008
The Interior Department has decided to protect the polar bear as a threatened species, amid a decline in Arctic sea ice due to global warming, handing environmentalists a major victory. Opponents said it could trigger new obstacles for oil companies seeking to drill in the Arctic. The official announcement was to come from Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne later this afternoon.

So sometimes the bureaucrats DO respond to letter-writing campaigns.

7:02 p.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I monitor a number of gun-hunting related sites and post on a couple; I am considered a "greenie" and oftimes castigated for my positions on environmental issues....this REALLY worries me........

I noticed today that the sites I read are FULL of outrage about this decision and many of the posters are SURE that environmentalists are COMMIES out to destroy America. I think that it was John Steinbeck, in his earlier novel, "In Dubious Battle" , who observed, ...even the very people you try to help, will hate you...

Appropos of this, we have Muskoxen in northern Canada and the aboriginals there are allowed to "guide" wealthy foreign "trophy" hunters, usually Americans, to shoot one of these innocuous and rare creatures for their "trophy" rooms. The Eskimo and his client get aboard a motorized sled commonly know here as a "Ski-Doo" and roar over the icepack until they spot a herd of Muskoxen.

The Muskoxen have evolved a simple defence mechanism over eons of struggle to survive in "The Great White North" and it is to herd together, with the bulls surrounding the cows and calves, horns out against the predator. The heroic "hunters" then herd these animals together, the sport climbs out and blasts his "trophy" with his scoped rifle and the Eskimos retrieve and skin it for him....REAL tough hunting!

I AM a hunter, I kill and eat wild game and ONLY what my wife and I can consume and I find this sort of thing absolutely, well, if I posted what I really feel, I would be banned from this forum. I feel EXACTLY the same about "hunting" Polar Bears by aircraft and with Eskimo guides and I applaud this courageous decision.

As a lifelong, 40+ year active conservationist, I am simply overjoyed ANYTIME a government makes a decision that will protect ANY aspect of our environment....and I am working to end the type of "hunting" here that I have described above. Can you imagine DELIBERATELY herding these animals with a motorized vehicle to kill one and then being PROUD of this?

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply