Experiment Alaska

3:42 a.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Anyone else watching this show and the numerous errors being made by the people on it?

The back episodes can be found here http://video.discovery.com/#

8:36 a.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Hi Mr Haze, I have watched one episode so far. It was the one where the groups got a gun to hunt with. I was not very impressed with the firearm instruction given to the poor guy who got "scope eye" as he fired a rifle for the first time.
But it was entertaining, and I guess that is all the show is going for. I plan to catch the next episode. I live in the southeastern U.S. where we don't have a lot of snow and many people here don't know how to dress properly for cold weather, so maybe this show will be of some help in that regard.
You are right about the numerous errors, learning everything the hard way is not the way to do it, but fun to watch.

6:30 p.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

I... CAN'T... WATCH...

6:56 p.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Thanks for that link, I just watched another episode.

7:09 p.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

My brother in law is a hunter. He told me that rifle is worth like $3000. I found it interesting how the bears in the area have learned that the sound of a gunshot followed by an animal falling mean food for THEM if you don't get to the prey first.

10:47 p.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I find it funny:

I have done some backpacking in many types of climates - only after reading on this site and others like it about the type of climate I will be going into. Keep in mind, my knowledge is very limited and my experience even more so, yet I sit here watching the shows, saying "what the....?...are you doing!".

Somehow, it keeps me coming back though :| Perhaps its my lust that I have towards Alaska and the back country that keeps me viewing.

3:17 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

I tried, but I can't watch it. The incessant manufactured high drama is driving me crazy, as is the purported scientific nature of the "experiment" with all the "protocols" that they keep violating.

3:20 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

For example, why stick one couple out in the bush, and then fly the man out for a goat hunt? How does that represent a real survival experience?

5:53 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Hi rexim, I agree, let them sharpen a stick and try to spear some salmon, it's harder than it looks, and I can make it look REAL hard.

1:45 a.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

If you have not read it already, check out The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell. It is the story of Heimo Korth and his family that lived the real Alaska wilderness life. It held my attention.

5:28 a.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

Heck, I'v tried the link, but all it said was it did not work in my region. Any way to avoid this? Interesting topic, something in the range of "Brat camp" which have had several episodes here. Hopefully they will send it some time later here.

Should give the young people something to think about. For many of them it is a major crisis if the Ipod or the remote controller is out of battery, not to mention the mobile phone.

12:18 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

I tried to watch an episode - I really did - from what I observed (about 12 minutes) it's almost as good as "man versus wild" (I did manage to watch almost half an episode of that once).....

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply