Finding local hikers?

12:44 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Just wondering what the best way to find local hikers would be? I am very new to hiking, never hiked before in fact, and would love to jump in but I would like to meet and maybe do some hikes with folks that have a little more experience at the beginning. There are no outdoor stores in my local area so I am not sure where to start my search. I live in the eastern panhandle of WV FYI.

3:07 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Your local chapter of the Sierra Club, if there is one, may be the best bet. http://westvirginia.sierraclub.org

6:07 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Hey Nubster, rexim is right, I always tell people the best thing to do is find a local hiking club or group. That way you are off having fun with people who are experienced and can give you good advise that is relevant to your area. Also pay attention to the types of gear they have selected and don't hesitate to ask them to tell you about it. I have met very few hikers / backpackers who are reluctant to give you a complete inventory and what they like / dislike about their selections.

6:34 p.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

http://www.potomacappalachian.org/ This is the address to the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, they have a West "By God" Virginia chapter.

12:41 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Most colleges and universities have outting clubs - they tend to do different levels of hikes and trips. If nothing else they'll have information about local trails and local outdoors clubs.

You could volunteer some time with a local BSA troop - they tend to go on hikes and you'll get that golden glow that accompanies helping the youth of America learn to appreciate the outdoors!

Another place to find hikers is on local park trails - just start talking to people you meet - most hikers / birdwatchers / backpackers are more than happy to share experiences and the like with others.

Whiteblaze.net (an Appalachian Trail centric site) has a lot of information about hiking in the East - and trouthunter mentioned the Potomac Appalachian trai club - I've done more than a couple tree planting days with them - they're good people.

Just beware of those folks who look like they stepped off the pages of popular backpacking magazines - the ones with the latest and greatest gear - they tend to offer rather expensive advice when it comes to equipment! Better to look for people wearing/carrying gear that shows a lot of wear .... ;=)

11:39 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey Nubster,
I highly recommend checking out meetup.com and looking for hiking groups close to you. This is how I found a lot of cool hiking groups that organize a large variety of hikes from easy to advanced. I've signed up with a few of them and I've been able to schedule at least one hike per weekend for the next couple months and all of the people I've met so far have been really nice. I don't know what city you live in so I wasn't able to do a search for you, but you can easily do that yourself.

12:13 a.m. on May 31, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks everyone. I'll give everyone's suggestions a try.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply