Appalachian Trail Speed Record Attempt

12:58 p.m. on June 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Just a heads up to say I (Karl Meltzer) will be attempting to break the AT speed record of 47 days 13 hours, 13 minutes starting on August 5th on top of Mt. Kathadin in Maine. I am fully supported, this is not an attempt to do it muled, just a legit supported run/hike. Check out more info at karlmeltzer.com, and whereskarl.com. Live tracking of the run, podcasts, and prizes to guess where I am....very cool if this stuff interests you. Now go run!

3:44 p.m. on June 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Good Luck, Karl.
Let us know how your attempt goes.
UL

5:39 p.m. on June 18, 2008 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Go Karl Go!

11:26 p.m. on June 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Anyone know the record for the slowest continuous AT thru-hike? That's more my speed.

9:52 a.m. on June 19, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Rexim, if we had a slowest hiker contest I think I'd win by a long margin.

Best of luck Karl. Speed's not my cup of tea, but knock yourself out.

7:51 a.m. on June 21, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Back in 1990 or 1991 I met two thru hikers on the AT. If they weren't the first ones to complete the trail that year they had to have been close. "Raggedy Anne" was the girls trail name, all I remember about the guy was "Andy". They were pretty nice, very fit and all about hiking 20+ miles a day. Nearly two months later in CT I was driving up to the AT for a day hike and gave a ride to what may have been the two slowest hikers on the AT. Both still had a bit of a gut and were coming out of a small grocery store loaded down with junk food. Those guys were a blast! I find myself devolving more towards those last two guys.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply