Walking in Crocs

7:53 a.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

After getting my trail shoes soaked the other day I decided to hike the remaining 20km on trails with just Crocs and a wee pair of socks. What a revelation! after going from heavy boots, to trail shoes, I now swear by Crocs for easy terrain over a long distance, comfortable, dry so quick and wet socks dry while wearing them. What next! I wonder if my Grivel G10's would...

Anyone else got Croc stories?

10:50 a.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Crocs are great to wear around camp. They are VERY low impact when you have to walk on less than durable surfaces. They're light, they float, and they dry super-quick. They even have built in carabiner loops to attach them to the outside of your pack. Crocs come in a wide variety of colors and styles (now). Even a fleece lined model,and a model with no holes.

Things that I will caution you about though:

1)They offer very little toe protection. I have stubbed my 1st and second toes BADLY on a root while wearing crocks.
2)Even though they float, the standard Crocs come off easily in the water. I wouldn't recommend them for kayaking, rafting, or swimming. For these activities, try the off-road version. They have an adjustable Velcro back strap.

Crocs also has a recycling program. You can send worn out shoes back to be ground up and made into new ones. Many are then donated to underprivileged children in other countries.

I've said it for years now: I love my Crocs!

http://www.crocs.com/

10:54 a.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Amen!
Do what works for you as long as it does not compromise your safety.
Conventional wisdom is good to a point, it was developed by trial and error so it establishes good guidelines for us. But there's nothing wrong with us trying to find better ways of doing things.

I wear heavy FGL boots in rough terrain while backpacking to protect my feet, I've experimented with lighter boots and had foot problems.
But around camp I wear mocs, sandals, and yes crocs.
Crocs are durable and offer decent protection, they are also good for stream crossings.
Sandals and crocs are so comfortable to me and are a welcome companion around camp.
For short hikes away from camp I like to wear mid calf mocs, fur or felt lined in winter. Very comfortable and mostly waterproof if you get the real mcoy with a gusseted tongue and take the time to seal them well. Mukluks are even better.
Good for you mckain!

5:56 p.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

What kind of arch support do they give you? It almost seems that something like these would be better.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1226

It is kind of ironic that there is a "waterproof" tag on those Keens. With my high arches it seems like Crocs would be a recipe for disaster.

6:10 p.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Quite ironic indeed dm1333, I was just looking at this exact Keen model for a possible replacement for my trail shoes, fast drying with heel and toe protection

10:46 p.m. on August 16, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

One plus that I forgot to mention is the $30 price tag on the Crocs.

11:02 p.m. on August 18, 2008 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Although I carry crocs for use around camp, and around town, be careful when trail hiking. They give no lateral support. For example, if you are carrying a pack and step on the side or edge of a rock, your foot could slide right out of the croc sideways.

9:26 p.m. on August 19, 2008 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I have all sorts of Croc stories and like f klock said, one of my stories involves a cracked toe bone when I blasted a hidden root in the things. But ya gotta love the old Crocs as they serve dual purpose, both camp shoes and creek crossing shoes. And of course I've walked for miles under a hefty load using the Crocs, they work okay, but sometimes there is that lateral slide, especially on very steep downhills. One time I duck-walked under a blowdown and pulled out a side grommet/snap but luckily found it close by. Another time in a quick panic to get out of the tent I shoved them on and both snaps flew off and I never did find them again, so carry a spare snap.

5:42 p.m. on August 27, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

My wife finally convinced me to try some Crocs about 3 months ago, after she bought her first pair back in 2006. For a $22 closeout special, they are a great lounge sandal....but my Chaco and Tevas are still my 1st and 2nd choices when I hit the trail or jump in the boat.

Admittedly, the flap-strap (in my model) offers some nice versatility. And if I were an extreme-minimalist freak, I might opt for the Crocs....because I don't know of anything even remotely close to the Crocs on the light-weight front.

Keep in mind that Crocs seem to run big. I wear a 10 1/2 or 11 in most everything. So I bought 11's....and they definitely have room to spare. Still, for oversized sandals, they still snug the feet remarkably well. Part of me wonders if a size 10 might snug my feet well enough to consider taking them into the backcountry. Maybe....

Or maybe not! As mentioned above, there's no lateral support. And based on my short usage, there's no way I'm picking the Crocs over my Tevas or Chacos if I'm looking at a creek/river crossing!

I've often viewed my sandals as "boot backups"! Never needed to do it personally. But I was on an outing once with 10 or so people a few years back in the Sierras. One person's boot had a major malfunction (cheap boots, I think); another person got a couple of nasty blisters [and we were out of moleskin, as I recall]. The first person had a nice pair of Tevas, and she was actually able to do the final pass on our way out. The second person didn't...and he slowed the group up considerably.

Thinking back on that particular trip, I'm not sure I'd want Crocs as my boot backups. Granted, I don't know that I'd want to carry a large pack with my Tevas or Chacos either....but I feel more confident that I could in an emergency.

4:15 a.m. on September 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I am glad someone somewhere finally found an actual good use for crocs. Personally I hate them. I was given a pair after winning a beach volleyball tournament and found them highly irritating in sand (ironic seeing how they sponsor the AVP), I also thing they look stupid. I prefer plain old cheap flip flops, but to each his own.

11:24 a.m. on September 16, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

other than the flip flops part, i agree^ haha

6:05 p.m. on September 16, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Yeah, they're not good in sand, you are right.
But it does depend on which style you have. I don't like the open sided Crocs as much. And Croc does also make a good flip flop. Mine are made like a shoe with laces.
I use my Crocs for stream crossings, which are numerous around here, they stay on my feet and offer way better protection from rocks than my flip flops , although I like flops better around camp.

I have the All-Terrain Croc as pictured here:
http://shop.crocs.com/pc-129-4-all-terrain.aspx?reqid=129&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear§ion=products

12:02 a.m. on September 18, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

We just got back from the Channel Islands kayaking a couple weeks ago (see related review), and my wife took her Crocs as her water boot. Her particular version didn't fare all that well for shore landings and departures. A couple of times, a rogue wave came in, knocked her off balance, and the sandal came off. I think the uneven rocky terrain didn't help. Whereas my Chacos were great (as expected).

It may be that different Crocs would do better than hers. A couple of the other kayak guides also wore Crocs, but they may have fit differently. Can't be sure.

Everybody knows Crocs fail miserably in the minds of the fashion police. I'm not even part of the fashion police, and even I don't care for the way they look. But....admittedly for lounge shoes around the house, they are great. And as I said before, I think they would make nice base camp lounge shoes as well.

I am a flip-flop Californian if there ever was one! I wear my Teva flips into the ground...and then some. My general sense (out here anyway) is that sandal people tend to like Crocs a lot for comfort.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply