Backcountry saw

1:02 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Hi All,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a saw. Here is my dilemma.
When camping I can normally find an abundance of wood, but in unmanageable sizes. I'd like to be able to pack a saw to cut some of this wood to better sizes. Here are my requirements:

1. Lightweight, but durable.
2. Small pack size (collapsible)
3. Ideally operable by a single person (long wire saws are probably out)
4. Be able to deal with wood of a decent diameter (maybe up to 12-15 inches, the un-snap-able stuff

I though about just going to the hardware store and grabbing a hacksaw with a rough blade, but wondered if there were better ideas..
Thanks,
J

2:20 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Looks like my choices are the Sven Saw or the Sawvivor. Anyone used either of these? Any preferences?

The 15inch sawvivor says it will cut logs up to 5 inch diameter. Not sure how much use this will be, I can normally snap (with the aid of 2 trees) wood of this diameter...

2:29 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I've had this for 20 years and it still works great.
http://www.fastbucksaw.com/index.html

It's not inexpensive, but the product is first rate.

4:07 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Looks nice. Is the weight of 16oz pretty reliable?

Also, if you need a new blade, does the Bucksaw take a special blade, or can you pick up a spare anywhere?
Thanks,
J

4:10 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Hmm, It's up against Trail Blazer 18" Sawvivor Saw, weighing at only 10oz..

7:10 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hi jay,

I have a Sven saw and am very pleased with it.
Performance vs. weight is good, weight is 15 oz.
They come in both a 15" & 21" size, they fold up very compact. When open they are quite stiff and function better than I expected. The Swedish blade used is impressive, cuts better than the cheaper little bow saws you can buy with the inferior blades (Chinese or whatever)
If I'm going on week long trips to heavily forested areas I take my Sven saw.
There is an older thread where this topic was discussed, and you may benefit from reading it. I will re-post with a link.

7:11 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts
11:29 a.m. on October 22, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I believe the fast bucksaw blade can be found in a hardware store. I need to replace mine, just haven't made the time to take the blade off, although mine still cuts relatively well. I use the saw around the yard more than I do in the bush. I don't know how accurate the weight is, but I suspect it's in the ballpark. I've not used a Sawvivor so I can't compare the two. When I bought mine the Sawvivor had not yet been invented, or at least not widely distributed.

7:36 p.m. on October 22, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

In Norway we have this saw http://www.sportogfiske.no/product/370776/_SAG_sammenleggbar,_21_.html The saw is light, and the blades are easily changeable. Surely there is something similar in US, otherwise the $ is favorable to the NOK so you may buy it here. I have two of these saws. Snaps up in ten seconds, ok to use. But it will not take up to 15" (40 cm), the limit is about 8". Here the trees are so small it is enough.

7:52 p.m. on October 22, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Otto, my Sven saw is very similar, Sven saw is made in Denmark with Swedish blade. Well made for a lightweight saw.
The one pictured in your link looks well made also.

2:47 p.m. on October 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

In response to a Backcountry light weight saw, i use a survival Knife. On the back of the blade there are teeth that you can use to cut small wood.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply