Grand Canyon R2R's

10:05 p.m. on October 21, 2008 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Has anyone here ever done a Grand Canyon Rim to Rim (R2R)? I did my first a few years ago with someone I worked with at the canyon's south rim. And if anyone has done this you know if its done in one day it can be challenging unless you are fairly fit.
Well, my hiking partner on that first trip for both of us, went on to continuing doing R2R's since then. The amazing thing is he did 106 R2R's in 1996 in his 86th year of age. He started out to do 86 R2R's to commemorate his 86th year. But he when he had completed 86 by early October he decided to continue thru the end of the year. He actually stopped tho after his 106th R2R on Christmas day of 96'. He averages about 12 hours one way.
His name is Maverick and has lived on the South Rim since the late 90's when we worked together at one of the lodges there. He met and married his second wife who also works on the South Rim, but except for a couple hike,she does not do as much as he.
He is actually retired now and does volunteer with the park service down at Indian Gardens or Bright Angel Campground.
I have done other hikes with him like from the South Bass to the South Kaibab in which we did over three days. Back then in 2001, his hiking pace was about one mile an hour, with a 1/2 hours nap every hour.
If you are ever at the canyon and want to talk with someone who is very lively at near 90, look him up. His wife Shirley works at the General Store next to the Yavapai Lodge.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply