Need advice about hiking pack

8:35 p.m. on November 27, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

hello, i just purchased a Mountain Hardwear Solitude 4800cu in. pack. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about this pack. I have read many mixed reviews about this pack. If you have owned one of these packs or know someone that does, could you give me some pointers about it. is it durable? i have read some reviews that say that the rivets break and stuff. is this true?

8:20 p.m. on December 15, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I do not know anything about Mountain Hardware. We have hike a couple of hundred miles in the Grand Canyon and use Osprey backpacks. We have been in flash floods, 110 degree temps, over some of the worst trails around. The Osprey packs have never let us down. I do not know if you can return the pack. If you can check out the Osprey packs.

10:18 p.m. on January 17, 2009 (EST)
62 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

This is a horrible time to be asking questions about your pack. You need to get out to an outfitter that carries a multitude of packs and try them all on and check the pros and cons of each. Research everything you can prior to buying. From my experience Mt Hardwear makes excellent gear (overpriced but good).

10:32 a.m. on January 19, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Good pack. Not the best by most people's estimates, it seems, but from what I can see it's a good pack. Twenty-five years ago, it would have been a remarkable pack, absolutely amazing, probably. The standards by which gear is assessed have been raised dramatically over the last couple of decades. I have and still use an old North Face Snow Leopard pack that almost qualifies as an antique and weighs more than some small trucks. Why do I still use it? Because the damn thing won't quit. I've made a few minor repairs over the years, but nothing major, and it still does the job.

Now that you've got the pack, the best plan is to use it, get familiar with its idiosyncrasies, and make it your own.

IMO there's way too much attention paid by some folks to having the "best" item or piece of gear. The key to happiness is knowing when "good enough" really is good enough.

10:57 a.m. on January 19, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

As always, when deciding on new gear, check Trailspace.com first. "Gear Reviews" is a great place to find pricing and other folks' opinions.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/solitude/

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply