About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

12:05 a.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for developing such an incredibly rich community for people that love the backcountry. I'm new to the site (obviously) membership, but have been perusing the community for a couple of months in an effort to get back to the woods. I'm starting over, meaning I don't have a lot of gear, but I do have a little experience. You all have convinced me that it's well worth the time and effort, and to tell you the truth I can't wait to get back on the trail! I guess my topic doesn't really have much substance to it. I just wanted to let everybody know that because of you all and this site, I am getting back into Backpacking, and backcountry living in general. Thanks to the regulars, and the guests!!! I live in southern coastal SC (HHI) and am excited about the completion of the Palmetto Trail. I have mostly done solo trips, in fact my very first serious backpacking trip was (unintentionally) solo on the AT, hence the username... think sick, without the k....but more of that later. I need to sleep, but feel like a kid on christmas eve reading all of your posts and checking out gear....Thanks for having me folks!

MahoosicMayhem!

1:50 a.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,742 forum posts

Welcome, I think we have some members from down your way. We have members from all the way back East to the West Coast and Canada. If you've done the AT, you aren't exactly a beginner, but if you have any questions, just post them. If you been spending some time here, you can see that many of the members have been hiking for a while and have a lot of knowledge they are willing to share.

12:36 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Welcome MahoosicMayhem,

Great to have ya with us, look forward to sharing info and experiences!

1:17 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Tom forgot we also have members in Australia, Japan, Norway, and several other parts of the world. An international group with a wide range of experience from Old GreyBeards to newbies (some of whom are very experienced in particular areas and are just newbies to a particular part of the outdoor experience or to a particular part of the world they are headed toward).

2:01 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

mahoosicmayhem,

We were all newbies once, and I plan to keep on being one by continuing to learn new things.

Welcome!

2:17 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,742 forum posts

Bill is right, I did forget to mention our international friends. My apologies to all. Their contribution is very valuable to us. They often get to see and use gear we don't have here in the US.

4:17 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, mahoosicmayhem.

It's nice to have another fellow Mainer here.

In your bio you mention a lot of great northern New England spots. You'll have to tell us more about the origins of your username.

6:31 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Hi Mahoo,

I live in the Charleston SC area.
Don't despair! There are a lot of cool places close by, I love the mountains and often travel upstate or into NC & TN for a few days.
Around Charleston I like to travel by canoe or boat and camp on the Intercoastal Waterway islands or the islands on Lake Moultrie.

But alas, not much snow here. I guess you are missing the skiing.
Anyhow, welcome to trailspace & to SC.

10:16 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Well thanks guys and gals, I truly feel welcome. I'm sure I'll be picking several brains for vital information and opinions. Bill, What's the last O stand for just below your username? It better be something more interesting than "Owner"!!! If you want to know about the origins of Mahoosicmayhem, check out Outdoor incidents, the continuation.

12:24 a.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll fit in here. Everyone is super friendly and nice.

6:56 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Old GreyBearded One

Hey, mikekey, some of us Ancient and Official Curmudgeons are not friendly - we are curmudgeonly (is that a word?), especially first thing in the morning. And as we return from 3 weeks in the woods, we sometimes get told we aren't so "nice" (smelling, that is). {;=>D

10:34 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Bill you're not fooling me. Maybe some urban yuppie who ran across you with his double latte grande foamy cuppy wad of junk, but not me.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply