Knee & Elbow pads...

6:20 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

Do any of you guys use them on your trekks, if so can you recommend any?

I'm thinking robust, lightweight if possible, all leather affairs would do the job, not just for protecting oneself (and clothing) from falls but also for all round camp duties.

Many thanks in advance.
Andrew

6:46 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Never use them on climbing trips or when telemarking (though lots do). Only use them when spelunking (potholing to you), which I haven't done seriously for years, or for some carpentry tasks. Too much extra weight for sticking in the pack to have to carry.

10:37 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

I have only seen soccer and hockey players wearing these, with the occasional tile installer and guy on roller blades.

My advice is to avoid falling down whenever possible. This will alleviate a lot of aliments that may occur as a result of sudden ground impact.

11:00 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I got them for inline skating, which I do on occasion, but all I wore were the knee pads and wrist guards. Tele skiers wear knee pads but I think they just use skating pads. You could ask on Telemarktips.

11:11 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Sometimes at work I wear knee and elbow pads and a spinal protector from a company called Rockgardn. The make stuff for moto cross. I've never thought about bringing any of it while backpacking though.

1:46 a.m. on January 9, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Knee pads around camp isn't a bad idea. Think building a fire etc. That is, if you're "camping", not backpacking. Too much extra weight to carry on a backpacking trip.

I keep a pair of plastic-capped knee pads in my SAR pack. I wear them while tracking because I often have to get low to the ground to get a different perspective of the tracks. Also, the new silicone-capped, floor installer type pads are great if extra grip is needed.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply