Canopy Tours - An Interesting Way to Experience the Outdoors

4:58 p.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
32 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/index.html

I've never heard of canopy tours, but the concept is interesting. I just wonder how much nature you'll actually see / enjoy while you're zipping through the treetops.

5:08 p.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

There have been a couple of programs on Discovery and Animal Planet channels about this. A variation on this is doing the same basic thing by hot air balloon, though it seems to me that this woould pose at least a couple problems (noise of the burners scaring the animals and the safety question of what happens if there is a balloon malfunction)

The zipline version I have seen on Discovery and Animal Planet seem to get you close up and you get to see (at least in the video programs) lots of closeup views of the life of the canopy and at various levels (they showed the zip lines at several levels). The animals (birds, monkeys, various insects, lizards, mammals I am not familiar with) seemed pretty tolerant of the humans in their rigging, helmets, etc, and the noise of the zip lines (just like the Nat Geo and Disney wildlife photographers seem to get up close and really personal with the wild critters to an extent 99% never can). But there also seemed to be a bit of "risk adventure" in that the people seemed to spend a fair amount of their time doing the zip line bit, compared to using the zip lines as access and studying the biota. I suspect it depends a lot on you, the participant, and maybe how much the operators tailor the adventure to your personal goals.

10:18 p.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

As a tree climber, I can tell you that the climb isn't where you see the good stuff. It's when you settle down at the top and observe. Canopy tours are the same way. You get to watch and see some amazing views, flora, and animals at the stop stations. In between the stops you get the thrill of the ride on the cable. Whoo hoo!

11:04 p.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Tbastress
OGBO

A couple of years ago I was in Port Vallarta, Mexico and took a Zip Line Canopy tour. The perspective you get just by being so far above ground is quit an experience. Quit like looking down over the edge of a cliff onto the tops of trees, or eyeball level with the tops of trees.

The tour I was on was nestled in a valley and we zipped from tree to tree landing on platforms. For this tour a good amount of time was spent waiting for the other people of the party to move across to the next tree. Only one person on the “rope” at a time. I did enjoy that part a lot. To be zipping from tree to tree can be fun too.

Through lack of practice and no mountain climbing experience it took a long time to trust (?) the equipment. The Zip line was no thicker than my baby finger. The figure eight ring that we used (we each had our own rings, clips and such) looked rather well worn, and the gloves used to stop were well used. All of this is supposed to hold a person over 200 lbs? Never the less we all survived the adventure.

If any of you have the chance or opportunity, give it a try. You might like it. Remember, once done, repeat not necessary.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply