About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

new survey on backpacker.com

11:48 a.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Would you try "indoor hiking" (man-made trails that are indoors)?

To me it kind of defeats the on of the main reasos I go hinking to get into nature.

opinions?

12:13 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

No, I don't think so.

1:22 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

No, not at all. I go hiking/backpacking to get outside because I live in a cubical all week long. I have backpacked in rain that was just above freezing and I had fun doing it. What have we come to as a society?

1:24 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Who wants to hike w/o setting up camp and sleeping? This sounds like some kind of climbng wall or corporate hoodwink. Dayhikers might like it, but they are a peculiar breed fixated on the nightly bed and the indoor couch. Just think if somebody built a huge indoor trail system where you could spend two full weeks hauling in a 70 pound pack and camping every night--any takers? Of course, you'd be doing a lot of endless loops.

1:32 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

The more I think about it sounds like it's for lazy hikers: ones that don't want to develop the skills to go into the back country!

1:45 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I'll bet they would put in a coffee stand every half mile or so as well. I can see it now, this tree is sponsored by (such and such) and this rock is sponsored by (you get the idea). One thing that I'm confused about is how they will get a helecopter in there to help evacuate people who don't want to walk back to the enterence of the building.

3:14 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

The California Academy of Science's recently opened museum, which replaced to old Steinhardt, has a 4 story tall rainforest. Now if I could spend a weekend hiking and camping there (and saving a few thousand bucks and carbon credits in airfare), that might be ok. Barb and I spent about 2 hours going through that section a few months back when the museum re-opened.

Actually, the idea of indoor hiking and climbing expeditions has been around for a while. Mostly, these have been for inner city kids to provide an educational experience that they otherwise would not get. A similar thing is the SpaceCamp programs, where kids go through a couple weeks of a summer camp, simulating the preparation and carrying out of a trip to the Space Station or the Moon.

But I don't think that's what backpacker.com has in mind.

4:49 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

lol what a joke of an idea BUCK UP RUCK UP I say.

But then again if you think about it, if they are that sorry do you really want someone like that in the wilderness near you. Because you know what would happen when they get lost we woulds have to go find them. Just that's because that is the way most of us are.

But I could get into starbucks every 100 feet lol

5:52 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

It sounds like you could get the same experience camping at a zoo. Then you wouldn't need a second building to replicate the same environment. Either way it's a manufactured environment and I agree with mike068, I don't want them in the woods with me anyway.

8:07 p.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Would you try "indoor hiking" (man-made trails that are indoors)?

My immediate thought was, isn't that just like going to the gym? Now going to the gym on occasion for a workout is not a bad thing, especially if you can't get outside, but it's not the same experience as hiking, camping, and backpacking in the least.

It sounds like you could get the same experience camping at a zoo.

You can do this at some zoos. For example, the Kansas City Zoo (a place I've never visited; I find zoos incredibly depressing), offers several overnights:
https://www.kansascityzoo.org/Education/Program.asp?IdS=00431B-15ED9C0&TypeKey=4&~=

They might be kind of fun for Scouts or other youth groups (if you can tolerate a zoo and don't have a problem with them), though it's obviously not comparable to a regular outdoors camping, hiking, and backpacking experience, to which all kids should be exposed, preferably regularly.

Back in my middle school days, my Girl Scout Troop had a sleepover at the Boston Museum of Science, which I still think back upon fondly. It was very cool to lay out our sleeping bags on the museum's floors by the various exhibits.

But, back to the original question, No, thanks. I don't see the point. I'm curious about what the questioners envisioned though.

12:01 p.m. on January 29, 2009 (EST)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

If I wanted that kind of experience, I'd go back to my days of sleeping under a bush by the courthouse or curling up in a bedroll camp under a cedar tree next to a church.

12:29 p.m. on January 29, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Maybe like hiking in an artifical place like on a giant space station in a hundred years with the artifical atmosphere like in a huge greenhouse or something from a sci fi movie.

2:36 p.m. on January 29, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,741 forum posts

Gary, rent Silent Running. It has that theme. If people want to walk indoors, they can just go to the mall. I don't see the point otherwise. Someone in Dubai is probably behind this idea. They waste billions on bad ideas like this.

7:57 p.m. on January 29, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Nope, not me!

4:57 p.m. on January 31, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hey if you put some electronics shops and a food court and a kick-butt discount outfitters store in there I might go in there and walk 6 miles to buy a new PS3 controller or some tent poles or something.

7:43 p.m. on January 31, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Add fifty Raccoons, a guided overnight stay, and an outfitters as dobber suggested and you might have something.
You could have several "camp areas" like they do on TV shows.

Oh yeah and of course WiFi in the coffee shop.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply