New Here

12:42 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

I check this site alot. Good info and reviews. I've been backpacking a long time. Trying go ligter weight now. Live in upstate South Carolina.

Ron Jameson

12:55 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Welcome, Ron. I'm pretty new here myself.

2:12 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Welcome. I'm new as well.

3:45 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Me too, only a couple months old now!

5:21 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hullo fellow newbies. Just joined last week. Great site don't you think?.

6:58 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

The best!

8:45 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome

I hope you enjoy you time here

9:32 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Hey I'm new too:) Wonderful site, great conversation!

10:32 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Hey Ron where abouts do you live I am in Greenwood. I assume by your member name you are a tiger fan as well

12:38 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

If you live in SC you have to be a Tiger fan 'cause that's the only football team we have!

Hey Big Tiger,

I live near Charleston SC, Welcome to trailspace!

I must say I'm a little jealous of you upstaters, you're entirely too close to the mountains.

6:04 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

I live in Clemson SC . Great win over DUKE last night. Students had a good time. I stayed after game to watch. Ron

8:24 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Yes that was unbelievable! I had a hard time getting to sleep after!

8:36 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

I've got a nephew that lives in Greenwood. I believe we talked over at the Backpacker magazine site.

Ron

10:33 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Yea very possible. What's his name? Maybe I know him.

11:59 a.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

Andy Jameson his wife teaches at Lander College. I went with Anderson Co Backpackers Club to Springer and back a couple of wks ago 16 miles snow cold good trip.

6:42 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

wow is everyone new here? I'm new too

9:15 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Not everyone is new. There are a lot of people who have been around since Trailspace was rec.backcountry.useful and rec.climbing.useful, as a part of Views From the Top, getting close to a decade. Trailspace is several years old, as taken over from VFTT by Dave and Alicia. Plus there are a number of people here who have been going into the backcountry for all or most of their lives, everywhere from the far northern Arctic (especially our Norwegian members and our serious expedition climbers) to the far south in Antarctica, and around the globe west to east (or the other way, if you prefer) from Australia and Japan to Africa (and a few who have been to Nepal and other locations in the Himalaya). Activities include dayhikes, weekend backpacks, through-hikes on the PCT in the West to AT in the East (and at least one who has biked and another who has hiked on the respective trails across the continent), climbing on rock, ice, little hills, and big hills (like various of the "7 Summits"). This includes people who regularly camp and travel in deserts, swamps, jungles, on glaciers, in deep winter, in pine, fir, and redwood forests, along extensive sandy coastlines, in sunny weather, hurricanes, blizzards, and plain old rainshowers and thunderstorms, from the extremes to the "perfect, bluebird" days and clear starry nights.

This is a great place for newbies (both in terms of new to the outdoors and new to this site) to get information and advice from highly experienced woodsy types (and outdoor gear and gadget freaks), several of whom have been doing that sort of wilderness wandering for much more than a half century (out of regard for their elderly egos, we won't say how much more than a half century).

So welcome, bienvenidos, wilkomen, bienvenu, karibu (pick your language!) to all those new here!

10:26 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Welcome. We have a lot of good people who post on this site; nobody will treat you like a nit wit when you ask a question or seek advice, as happens on some sites. We have folks with very strong outdoor resumes, yet no overstuffed egos.

1:25 a.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Heck, let's have a party!

Trouthunter--Where near Charleston do you live? I lived in Goose Creek for a few years as a kid.

5:07 a.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

when do the mosquitos come out to play?

10:15 p.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Hey guys,

I live on the North end of Goose Creek near the swamps, and about ten miles from Lake Moultrie.

We grow real big gators here! Nothing scarier than hiking on the islands at night, sometimes in mud and knee high water only to get the crap scared out of you by the low rumble of a male gator in the spring....late at night. Guys around here carry a boat paddle for a trekking pole. You can defend yourself with it and dig for clams too, fan a fire etc.

At the bottom of the dam we have refrigerator sized catfish, and on the islands we have raccoons thicher than ants. Lets not get started about the Cotton Mouths, May Flies, and Mosquitoes.

Does that sound familar Perry Clark?

11:39 p.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Familiar? Heck yeah. You must live not too far from where we did when I was a kid. We went to Lake Moultrie lots--some neighbors had a cabin there. I recall one Scout campout in Francis Marion Nat. Forest where I woke up one morning--we were all sleeping in hammocks stretched between trees--to find a cottonmouth coiled at the base of one of the trees. None of the other guys came over and shooed the thing away until they had breakfast. I also recall another time when we were hiking along, a small group of us, with me in the rear, and I looked off to the side and there, no more than four or five feet from the trail, was an alligator, about seven or eight feet long, sunning in the shallows. I'm guessing my socks are still there, unless somebody picked 'em up. I sure didn't go back after 'em. Not sure my feet touched ground for about fifty yards.

Haven't been back in that country for years. Kinda miss it. Except for the 'skeeters, snakes, gators, no-see-ums, and whatnot, of course.

2:35 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I just had my first run-in with a baby monk seal :P They bark like a dog. And yet SOO cute. But I hear they bite, and hard.

So if any of you hike in Hawai'i, bring your bear bag!

9:49 p.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I too am new to this site and find it very informitive. I live on the west coast, but hike all over. It would be nice to see areas broken down to specifc regions, if I need info regarding say N.C. I can go to that particuler region and vice versus.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply