Colorado Proposes Fee for 911 Calls From Pikes Peak Hikers

11:50 a.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts
12:01 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Great idea!

And for those who want to save money, they just have to injure themselves before making the call. Also a win!

12:42 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I think it's about time they have these people pay for their mistakes instead of the tax payer.

1:14 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I think that it's an amazing concept to make people accountable for their actions.

2:49 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Responsibility? Accountability? Self-reliance? Independence? What's going on? Didn't we abandon such archaic notions back in the 20th century?

I mean, we elected a president who said that "When people hurt, the government has to do something," and then we traded him in on one that wants to spend a trillion-dollars-plus saving mostly people who made bad decisions from the consequences of those bad decisions.

The moral of the story so far: If enough people make bad decisions, no one has to be responsible. So don't be responsible and self-reliant; instead, convince your neighbor also to abandon those quaint concepts and stick his hand out for a government check.

Heck, under this theory, maybe they should pay the people that call 911; obviously, after all, it's in society's best interest to get them back to safety and productivity as quickly as possible.

4:26 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

If you are too 'tired' to walk down, yea you should have to pay for the fact you are a moron. If you are actually hurt kinda different story. I do wonder though what effect this has had on the response to real emergencies? I am sure there is some sort of alert level or code depending on the magnitude of the situation but still could some idiot calling because they are to tired to walk down effect the response to someone who has fallen and has a serious head injury?

Perry- Wether I agree with you or not, I often get into the woods to get away from the heated political debates going on in the world. I like this web site because a lot of us come together because we share a love for the outdoors and wilderness, however we may not share a love a particular political party. So, in an effort to keep the politics out of my otherwise politically untarnished hobby think we could do without political references? Not trying to be a jerk, sorry if it comes off that way, hopefully you understand what I am saying.

5:24 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I say hold them accountable, every one should be held accountable for their actions really. If you wander off into a forest and get lost, well, you should have to pay somehow, at least in part. For those who can't afford to pay for a rescue mission maybe they could do some volunteer work for a while.

I do feel that this notion that society is some how obligated to come to every ones rescue for free, to be silly at best. Societies should be willing to help their members, every one needs help from time to time, but in times past it was reciprocal.

It used to be that a community would get together and do barn raising's, harvests, and such, but the recipient was obligated to give back in kind. It was not free.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents.

6:39 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

turneej--

Sorry to have spoiled the untarnished for you. Figured since I was being equally dismissive of both parties, I was safe. Also thought the opposing trends (if one can call Colorado's consideration of charging the uninjured for 911 calls a "trend") interesting and relevant. Didn't mean to be any more political than Jay Leno. That said--my apologies.

9:46 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

What surprises me about the proposal is that some govt. official, or corporate enterprise has not exploited this cash cow. Think of how much money could be made by selling rides off the mountain. Maybe turn it into a package deal... come to Pikes Peak Outfitters where we offer you two nights at a luxury hotel, continental breakfast, gear rental, transportation via motorcade to Pikes Peak, live viewing of your climb via youtube, picnic and 8x10 summit portrait, limo ride down, welcome back party with all your friends, followed by a morning photo shoot for a national magazine.

10:08 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I'm up for the welcome back party. Oh...and the hotel too.

But,......I'd really rather climb some obscure mountain with places still untouched I think.

8:04 p.m. on February 25, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

trouthunter, if you find such a place let us know, we promise not to tell anyone ... and if its a really good tip, we'll even throw you a party here on Trailspace (lets see...if we each chip in a penny... )

Also, agree with previous posts re accountability, though don't know if anything will change human behavior.

1:59 a.m. on April 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

laughingbear, Actually, you aren't THAT far from reality. A tired hiker CAN take the cog railway train back down for about $20. No limo, but the folks on the cog will applaude as you board and the conductor will sell you a book full of postcards of the views along the way for another $10. Oh, and if you want to stop half-way up and spend the night, Barr Camp will accommodate you with a bed for the night and breakfast in the morning (for a small fee, of course). Close enough for you? HA!

10:48 a.m. on April 10, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You do have to pay for heli rescue here. There's a few provincial services where you can be a member for 75$ a year and get free rescue if you need it. I also have a very cheap 200k$ insurance with my Spot.

It' sad to say but i've seen some abuse also. It's sooo easy to get yourself in trouble when you know a heli will come pick you up if you mess it up. Self-rescue should be advertised a bit more. I got myself into trouble before but heck i walked it out.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply