So....what makes a perfect campsite for you?

1:39 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

After many years of backpacking it is apparent to me that there is no perfect campsite, though some are close.

There are always the obvious things to look for of course, a clear spot for tent, tarp, bivy or hammock. No widowmakers hanging overhead, source of drinking water, shelter from the wind, and an area that drains etc.

I don't think there is a one size fits all approach to picking a good site, just too many variables for each person, or type of terrain.

So...what is your thought process as you search for a site?

What special considerations do you have, if any?

What tricks do you use to make camp life easier?

3:11 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

When I look for campsites in state / national forests here in Ohio that are travelled frequently by others, I look for CLEAN sites. Nothing bothers me more than obvious vandalism or trash/food laying around.

3:28 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Well for me ...

As tbasress stated I have the same opinion.

I also look for a nice tranquil area that includes a small stream for a water source, a small valley for protection from stronger wind, a close buy scenic view, the sounds of nature wind animals etc and a campfire. Im sure there are a few other things that I would appreciate also but that's the basics.

It sounds like we look for basically the stuff so I guess if we were all in the same area we would be fighting over the same spot or sharing it lol.

4:13 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Usually i look for an east facing campsite with a view to get first light in the morning. I also like to get a bit higher than the valley bottom to be out of the cold air, a small crest or a ridge maybe?

In the winter nothing beats camping in the middle of lakes. You get a view all around and clean snow to melt.

5:10 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Lot's of pines and high ridges, like the Lamping Homestead here in Ohio's Wayne National Forest.

5:27 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
593 forum posts

It really depends on what is available.

Once I was caught by approaching darkness on the top of a mountain in the Grampians and the wind kicked up to a gale, but dry, no rain. So a large, dry, sheep-wallow which put me about two feet below the flat, heather-covered surface was ideal. There was room to pitch my tent and the worst of the wind passed right over. (Pitching a tub-floor tent on thick, springy, heather, OTOH, is not easy. :)

Another day I was caught above treeline of a mountain in NH White Mountains. A thunderstorm with heavy rain came up just as I hit the peak (why is it always that way?). Fortunately, I found a natural campsite in the center of four massive granite slabs, the floor was gently sloping sand; a tree big enough to attach my poncho to grew on one side. In no time I was snug and dry under the rock overhang with my poncho stretched taut to provide a lavish tent. A good night's sleep as the thunder rolled.

When I have time to make deliberate choices for a campsite, I look for the usual - squaw wood; water; a dry, level area to sleep; and a windbreak. For long-term camps I get fussy. :)

7:07 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I personally try to find a site that is close to stream or river but far enough off the trail where Iwant constantly have other hikers coming through my camp especially if I am hiking in and camping a few days and then hiking out (which I do quite often). I love listening to the sounds of a river or stream as I am laying down to go to sleep. Also if I am going to be staying in a campsite for a few days, I would love to have a fire ring. I would never start a fire if there was not one exsisting but I do like having one. Helps to keep bugs and other predators away.

7:34 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

In alpine country I like spots that have soft earth or soft grass to bed down on. In desert country I choose areas with no rocks that cannot be moved to make at least a spot for my sleeping area.

If I am using my tent I make sure it is big enough space to place it down without branches from above sticking in or brush too close around. I try not to have to brake of plants or limbs unless they are dead already.

If I am going to have a fire I choose camp within 20 feet of the fire and dig a hole deep enought to bury the cold ashes when I leave with the same dirt I dig out and mound around instead of blackening rocks and leaving a scar. Or I use already placed firepits.

If I am bivying without a tent or just a bivybag, I try to find a place where I can mold myself into the landscape without making much improvements to the camp spot.

I always try to camp away from trails and roads if possible to stand out less. And camp away from water about 100 feet unless it is in a sandy area. I leave the area clean as it was or better.

11:10 p.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

I agree with Franc’s comment about winter and lakes. I prefer at the edge of the lake, possibly with a brutal mountain range to look at. A large flat open area to enjoy the sun and the huge Blue sky. At night Lots of stars. Rest of the year it depends on where I am camping. Canada’s wild west coast. You know beaches, forests, the usual.

12:54 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Oh, no, I'm not about to share my secrets for finding great campsites. Unh-unh. No way, Jose--you're on your own. I'm not gonna tell you I prefer reasonable proximity to water, at last moderate shelter from wind, and a good view on a perch a bit above most of the surrounding area, but well away from the highest points. I'm not about to mention that I like to be at least a bit off the trail, so as to discourage casual visitors. I suppose you'll figure out that I, like most, prefer level terrain, or a gentle slope helping avoid pooling of rain, and don't much care for sleeping on scree or shingle. But that doesn't mean I have to share with you that I like having a fire, if reasonable and appropriate, especially when it's cool. Or that I like to be away from light sources, to enhance one's view of the night sky.

Nope. Not gonna tell you any of that. It's all classified, actually. Need-to-know basis, that sort of thing. Good luck to you, though.

12:57 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

By the way, I do know where THE perfect campsite is. And no way am I sharing that information. Won't even tell you what continent it's on. Some secrets I'm taking to my grave!

2:59 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

There is two amazing camp sites, one in the 1st lake I go through, and another on the next lake. Someone made this incredible fire pit with all flat rocks, great for cooking, both great swimming areas.

3:02 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

As far as winter camping goes I like to be in the pines or in a spruce grove. I like how the snow lays on and weights down some of the branches and the smell of the woods are awesome, Ya ya i'm simple I guess.

Above all the basic requirement for a camp sight is someplace in the woods, wilderness a tent in a back yard just wont do lol.

10:46 a.m. on March 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Most of my camping is done via Canoe in Algonquin provincial park. Aside from the obvious of relativly flat ground without too many rockes and being off any trail, etc. I usually try to find a site that has both forest cover and a sizable rock/boulder that over looks the water. Forest is nice for some protection against the wind that seems to show up regularly, but the rock makes a great place to relax and enjoy a great view. Not to mention that at dusk, when you're taking in the amazing sunset, the rock is quite warm, which is always nice.

10:10 a.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Matt09,

Such is life on the Canadian Shield I see.

I'm sure it's a very beautiful area you are in.

11:31 a.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

Anyplace I can sit or lay down after a good day's climbing, hiking, or skiing is perfect. Anything else is just a bonus.

12:39 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

When I was younger and living out of a pack and stealth camped combined with wilderness camping, anyplace was a near perfect camp. If I found some bushes and a treeline behind a grocery store, it became my own little perfect campsite for the night. I still remember fondly some of my old cemetary bedroll camps.

Now, as I get older, the perfect campsite for me is located as far as possible from a road. The deeper and further in I go, the better the campsite. Sure, it's nice to camp by water but some of the best sites for me are way off from water and are planned for accordingly. The wilder the place, the better the camping.

Open bald camping is also a favorite, especially in the winter, as you never know what storm will blow in and how deep the snow will get. It's a great place to test out a tent, too.

7:23 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Flat ground is my big thing.

After camping on a slope of 5-7*, and having to slide my sleeping bag/pad up each time I moved, I will never do that again.

Clean area, near water, away from other people, etc. are all nice too.

12:31 a.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

I look for a relatively level spot that is out of the wind if possible, has no large standing dead trees, a good source of water nearby, minimum bugs (in summer), a good place to hang food if I don't have a bear canister a good fallen tree or rock big enough to seat two or three for dinner and if we're having a fire, firewood. If I start looking an hour or so before I stop hiking for the night, I can usually find a spot that satisfies all these criteria to varying degrees sometime within that hour. As I'm hiking, I usually look only for the item that I deem to be most rare for the area. For example, if in a mostly pine forest, I'll pretty much be looking for a good tree to hang my food as pines won't have any good branches for this. Once I find this item, I'll look and see if it satisfies my other criteria. If I'm in an area with pretty uneven ground, I'll look for the first level spot I can find, then see how it meets my other criteria. In a dry area, I look for water. If I can hike looking for just one thing it makes it easier rather than trying to look for a spot that has six or seven. Once I find an area with this item, I’ll look to see if it has the other things I’m looking for.

2:34 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I like sites high up on ridges, covered with pine trees (like many places here in the Wayne National Forest) and lots of privacy. I prefer not to camp around other people. The ideal weather conditions I favour are severe thunderstorms with plenty of wind.

8:02 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Whereas my favorite area is Yosemite N.P. The four to five hour trip from San Jose to the Tuolumne Meadows area of Yosemite N.P. By the time we get there, get everybody ready to start on the trail it is in the afternoon. So I look for a campsite not to far from the trail-head. By the time we get to the campsite, most of the day hikers have past.
The campsite I am talking about is at May Lake, it is one of the High Sierra campsites. After an early evening, we are set for a long next day. I like this place the best because we get early morning sun and a short hike towards Mt. Hoffman enables you to see sunset.
I also have found it is a great place to take first time backpackers or old timers who have some ailment, arthritis, etc. to get into the back country without without a significant physical effort.

10:24 p.m. on April 2, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

A: gotta be flat, level, and relatively smooth and not an obvious potential watercourse (I live on the west coast - it rains a lot)

B: south facing for sun and shaded (or not, depending on season)

C: preferably near water

D: some shelter from prevailing weather systems

E: spectacular view for when I wake up and look out in the morning

Special tricks: in winter I pack a large stuff sack full of fresh snow at night before retiring for melting in the morning so I don't have to go out of the tent before breakfast if it's crappy out

and ... so I don't have to go out of the tent in the night ... a pee bottle (I use a bright yellow Nalgene one so as not to confuse it with anything else :0 )

11:22 p.m. on April 2, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

A little tip for those of you who like fires (who doesn't) but know better than to make a new fire ring (which you all should): Use a pie tin. It's really lightweight to pack in, allows you to discreetly scatter the ashes, and doesn't scar the ground nearly as badly as an open fire.

Also, don't burn wood bigger around than your wrist and it will all burn to clean ash with no unsightly black clumps.

As for me, I actually prefer BAD camping spots. It deters other campers, which is my main concern. Luckily, it rains and storms every time I go camping, and I much prefer cold weather camping to summertime.

10:51 a.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

... relatively level spot that is out of the wind .... minimum bugs...

WIS,

The best place to find minimum bugs is on a windy ridge. Mosquitoes particularly love sheltered spots in the woods, and especially if a boggy area is nearby.

11:04 a.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

.... The campsite I am talking about is at May Lake,...

This is one of the most popular and overcrowded campsites in Yosemite that qualifies as a backcountry camp. Because it is a very short distance from the trailhead and is also one of the High Camps (originally built by Curry Company, now run by whoever the latest concessionaire is), lots of people are around the lakes. It is one of the few backcountry camps that requires reservations because it is so popular.

OTOH, Hoffman is right there, an easy hike at dawn to enjoy the sunrise (despite the numerous "casual" trails that scar the slopes). It is best as an early spring ski tour, when the road to the trailhead off the Tioga Road is still blocked with snow.

Hoffman is described in Muir's My First Summer in the Sierra as an "easy day hike" from Yosemite Valley! Could be one of his other books. I can't check right now, since most of my books are in storage while the house is being rebuilt. I think it is about 35 miles from the Valley floor, and something like 6000-7000 feet of elevation gain. I have never figured out from his description whether this is a roundtrip day hike, or just one way. But Muir was one tough cookie, making us modern types look like a bunch of wimps.

11:34 p.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

My favorite spot is between two trees. I leave level spots for the tent dwellers. Hopefully the trees are at sufficient elevation to not have poison oak around them. Partway up a hill is generally ideal.

9:15 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I love camping on frozen lakes too. Not much protection from elements but that can be fun sometimes.

This week while hiking with my four year old son a thunderstorm came on us fast. (or maybe I should say that hiking at a toddler pace put me a bit behind schedule) So anyway, we came across an old half rotted canoe on the beach. A couple sticks for support and it made the perfect lean-to. Kept us dry and we had a lot of fun.

So I guess my idea of a perfect site changes with the weather. lol

11:25 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I agree with the spirit of Tipi Walter's response: it depends on why, when, and where you need one. I've had only a few truly horrible ones-a Union Carbide dump standing out at the front of the ranks, and behind a drunken nazi rally in a mosquito-infested Slovakian swamp is a close second.

I like to have a maximum amount of sky to look at, and good (or no) company. Fire and water are nice. Maybe with a lake of stew and one of whiskey too so I can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe.

Great topic by the way. It's really interesting to read the responses.

10:03 a.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
85 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I agree. This is a great topic. It really makes you think about your own site selection strategies.

9:10 p.m. on April 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

We found one this past weekend. While on a hike with a buddy and his wife and two labs we found a campsite that was simply perfect. It was off the AT by about 100 yards down a very steep trail from a gap. It was a marked blue blaze so we knew there was water down there. When we got to the water source, it was the beginning of a spring bubbling over a small waterfall into a nice collecting pool about 3' across. The site itself was no larger than 15 yards square and barely big enough for 3 tents, and surrounded on both sides by ravine-like walls. At the base of it was a stepped-down firepit that provided a direct view of the sunset. My tent was, no kidding here, less than 3' from the edge of the spring, which bubbled away all night lulling us off to sleep. We are definitely going back.

2:43 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

3:00 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Goyo--
You made me laugh! I thought of the time I was sleeping under a maple tree next to a church when across the way in an apartment complex a fight broke out between two guys and shots were fired in my direction. I jumped out of my bag and hid behind the maple tree. Was it my favorite camp? Up till that time, yes.

Another time I was camped under a parked 18 wheeler by an airport in California and kept thinking the thing would start up and move. A perfect camp? Nope.

Some of my best campsites have been on house decks when visiting friends, especially in the winter. There's nothing quite like bedroll camping in subzero temps in a town all closed up with the cold. You could hear a pin drop and everybody's indoors. But I'm not cuz I gotta get the all important bag nights

The nazi rally made me laugh and got me to remember bedroll camping in a cemetary next to a college campus when a group of drunken frat boys passed thru and ran all around me shining their flashlights in my face.

The freedom to simply lay down under a bush nomatter where and have a good night's sleep should never be taken for granted in this age of couch potatoes , gas-guzzling car addiction and home mortage meltdown, and so I include these places along with the wilderness spots as perfect places to camp.

8:38 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Woooooo! I just read the posts and tought "humm..my campsites are pretty ordinary". Then I remembered this:

I slept in a park, under a big spruce tree in Vancouver for a week. Something happened every night!! I got awakened by a rat staring me in the eye, the size of a big house cat on the first night, wet by the sprinklers the second, some dude almost peed on me (my face was 6 inches from his shoes!), another droped his pants in the same spot and a girl ran with his money (you can picture me laughing my head off, the guy trying to run and pull his pants up at the same time screaming "give me my money!") and a dude got shot across the street at the McDonald's. I also got a visit by a very nice social worker at 3 AM...i had a very tough time convincing her i wasn't running away from home.

I hadn't tought about this for years! it's fun being careless and free, i miss it a bit....

9:45 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Franc--

Now, that's what I'm talking about! Your story reminded me of the time I was camping in a city park under a huge oak tree and a drunk came up in the middle of the night and started to, basically, howl out to the night sky. He said, "God! Why have you forgotten me!", and just about that time he flung his wallet away thru the air and it hit me in the face as I was hidden in the night. I guess he was taking a short vow of renunciation and worked it out between him and God but he didn't see me down in the dark.

7:21 a.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I love it!!

The city is definetly a whole other wilderness when night comes! The local fauna might be a bit more dangerous at times, but you see more of it than out in a NP for sure.

3:19 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

Well, since we are talking about "adventure campsites" -

While in college, a group of us decided to take a long bike trip (that's a pedalbike, not a motorbike) down the California coast, camping along the way. We gathered from several directions, finally met up in Long Beach, rode as far as we could before it got so dark we couldn't see the bike in front (no one had lights), so we headed through a hole in the fence and just threw our bags out. Next morning we were awakened by a bunch of scuba divers hauling their tanks across the beach and down the cliff to get abalone plus a bunch of surfers with their boards. We then headed farther south, taking a brief tour into Camp Pendleton before getting escorted back to the freeway (short section you where bicycles were forbidden, before the bike bypass was built), got separated, and found our various campsites - mine turned out to be about 50 feet from the main coast railroad line, as I found out at about 2 AM, a couple of the others camped on the beach in an officially day-only park, and were awakened at 0 Dark O'clock when the incoming tide started soaking the feet of their sleeping bags. Next day took us south of San Diego, again camping in the dark at what appeared to be a reasonable spot, but turned out at dawn to be an unofficial city dump for San Diego. At this point, I rode home arriving after dark (this was winter with very short daylight), about 111 miles.

Then there was the bicycle trip where we ended in a small town in the hills and the half dozen of us decided to camp in the city park - no adventures like Tipi, but the local police force (all 2 of them for the town) rousted us at midnight, since sleeping in the park was illegal, then decided that we were a bunch of college kids, so let us alone, though they checked on us "every hour on the hour" and chased us off as soon as it got light enough to ride without lights. It was a nice park with picnic tables and all, but today it is part of the SoCal urban sprawl, looking like a downtown area.

1:11 a.m. on April 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Reading all of these stories reminded me of some of my earliest camping memories. My family had a cab-over camper and spent time on the Straits of Juan de Fuca in Washington State. I used to convince my dad to let me take my sleeping bag out on the sandy beach, build a campfire and fall asleep listening to the waves gently lapping against the sand. I guess it's no wonder that my favorite camping sites are still solitary (far enough off the trail that you could walk right past me and not know I was there) and near the sound of moving water.

1:41 a.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts

Reasonably flat, reasonably near water, and far far far away from civilization!

12:21 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

Hmmm, a perfect campsite ...

- nice level spot with some soft cushiony needles or leaves under my tent :)

- east facing view so I wake up to a sunrise

- water source nearby

- terrain which allows me to locate my tent a reasonable distance from my cooking/eating area

- not too windy, esp. in cold weather, but in summertime, a place with a nice breeze to keep any insects at bay :)

- no other campers within earshot

- no active bears or other critters nearby :-)

3:03 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

When we were married, instead of registering for housewares like normal people, my wife and I passed the hat for a Klepper folding kayak.

Two years later we took a 6-week delayed honeymoon in New Zealand, where I had worked for two summers in Fiordland National Park. One of my big ambitions for the trip was to paddle on Doubtful Sound or one of the other big fjord systems. We studied the maps carefully, looking for places where the relentlessly steep fjord walls eased up enough to allow landing and camping. The only places with any promise were at the heads of the various arms of the fjord, where rivers had bulit small, flat deltas into the depths. We picked one of the more steep and narrow arms, Crooked Arm, and fought a vicious headwind to get to its head.

Our "perfect campsite" turned out to be a god-awful sand fly (=black fly) infested totara swamp, level, sure, but very soggy. We retreated up the fjord aways and found a place where a landlslide had built a rocky landing, and manage to squeeze our little tent ("The Nuptual Pod") between rocks and trees, right at the edge of the forest where we would get better light and maybe a breeze to blow the sand flies back into the gloomy forest.

Some time in the middle of the night we both woke to the sound of water lapping dangerously close to the tent door. When we zipped it open, we saw that the fjord was about to join is in our tent. You see, in Fiordland it rains so much (300+ inches year) that the fjords have a 10 foot deep layer of freshwater floating on them, from all the water running in from the rivers that feed into the fjord. There are no seaweeds, barnacles or other intertidal life to cue you in on the high tide mark, and during neap and spring tides, as it was then, the water just comes right up into the forest, and the trees don't mind because it's fresh. We grokked all that in about 30 seconds, then leaped up to move our tent further back into the forest.

The next day it rained as it can only rain in Fjordland, and all-day downpour (I have seen it rain 20 inches in one day, the record is over 24) so we basically hung out in the tent. At one pont we had to go out and do some civil engineering to divert some rivulets that had opened up right under the tent. Later, we heard a motor out on the fjord, chugging along quietly. The fjords are really wild, there is very little boat traffic on them (except Milford). It was a sort of little houseboat that took people out fishing, based near the youth hostel at the head of the main fjord. We had hauled the kayak up into the trees, so when we came out to the edge of the fjord and waved, the people on the boat only saw two vagabonds appear on the shore without any visible means of getting there or away.

@"G'day," they yelled, "Are you lost?".

"No," we yelled back "Are you?".

We lauunched the Klepper ("Hal", short for "Just for the Halibut") and went out for a visit. We were treated to hot tea and cookies, and went back to our imperfect campsite with some fresh-caught fish for dinner.

After two more days of rain, wind, and heavy chop, we had to give up. The fjords are beautiful, but not all that friendly, even to something as seaworthy as a Klepper. But I'd still like to go back and try again. We also did some beautiful paddling in Abel Tasman National Park and the Bay of Islands, where we found some very idyllic campsites indeed.

3:04 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Now that I've told my tale, what about the perfect campsite?

Call me a wimp, but my perfect campsite has... a picnic table, or at least some sort of elevated surface for cooking. Gets your food up out of the dirt, and you don't have to kneel or squat or hunker over the stove. In the backwoods, of course, I don't mind going without, but if I have to pay for camping, that is my minimal expectation (second priority being a warm place to s*it). It's a constant source of irritation/frustration to me, because on road trips, usually en route to and from hiking trips, we often end up in commercial campgrounds. We have a comprehensive campground guide to Norway that has dozens of inscrutable little symbols for rec room, TV room, kitchen, laundry facilities, boat rentals and on and on. But is there a symbol for tent sites with picnic tables? No, you're on your own buddy. About a year ago my wife and I were en route to a 3-day kayak trip on Geirangerfjord, pulled in to a commercial campground at about 11 PM, just a place to crash and eat breakfast before heading on. We took a quick look around: wall-to-wall "bobiler" (RVs), not a tent in sight. What were we thinking? We turned around, headed back up the road, ended up having a very pleasant night with the tent pitched on a bed of moss at a semi-abandoned firing range owned by a local hunt/fish club. No picnic table, but it was free, quiet, and nobody seemed to mind. (Actually, under allmannsrett you can camp for 24 hours anywhere as long as you are a certain distance from houses and other buildings, but we pitched our tent right in between the shooting stand and the clubroom).

10:06 p.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

My perfect campsite is actually far from perfect because everything about it was wrong.

1. It was right next to a cliff. (deadly for those middle of the night calls of nature)

2. It was very near a waterfall. I love the sound of running water. (not so good if you are in bear country as the falling water masks the noise of an approaching bear)

3. It was exposed to high winds being right near the top of a chute which acted as a wind tunnel channeling the wind right up the chute.

But... it was my favorite campsite ever. To wake up to the sound of the waterfall and the sun just peaking over the distant mountain casting a warm glow on the valley below, nothing like it.

10:22 p.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

BigSmoke says:

"2. It was very near a waterfall. I love the sound of running water. (not so good if you are in bear country as the falling water masks the noise of an approaching bear)"

Hey my friend...you could try a big dog with large ears! Works for me, my dog seems to hear everything, even over the sound of running water or with the wind howling. My own hearing isn't that great, so I watch the dog.

I also love camping by waterfalls & streams!

10:54 p.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I second camping near rivers or streams. As a matter of Fact I am going to spend the whole Memorial weekend next to the Chattooga River Trail. I must say I can't wait to get away from everything and just enjoy the piece and quite with no stresses of everyday life.

4:42 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

No poison ivy or oak, no poisonous animals, and no annoying loud people

11:37 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

My perfect campsite includes several members from the sweedish bikini team... Stranded somewhere in Baxter State Park.

12:59 p.m. on June 23, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

My new discovery from last weekend is no fine loose dirt/sand in windy areas. It blew into the tent all night and I woke up looking like I had been playing in a sandbox.

2:20 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Camping here at the Lamping Homestead Recreational Area in Ohio's Wayne National Forest. It was here I battled those 70 mph winds high up on this ridge.

I was using my ALPS Mountaineering Taurus Outfitter Tent.

2:23 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Where is this photo taken at? Nice place.

5:57 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

It might not look that comfortable but this was one of my favorite camping spots ever...

10:51 p.m. on July 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

The first thing I look for in a campsite is safety and cleanliness. The next thing I like is the water view that's what really makes a site better to me.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply