PCT "travel" book

4:13 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I was looking for a travel book of a person that thruhiked the Pacific Crest Trail, something like a Walk in the Woods shows the AT?
Anyone have any ideas?

5:49 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

If you are looking for a guidebook, there are several out there that give mile by mile details, including good campsites and resupply points. Look on Chessler's website (go down to "The Pacific Crest Trail" - for some reason he lists the books alphabetically by full title, so it is in the "T"section). Also, go to the Pacific Crest Trail Association website, where you will find journals by people who have done the PCT, as well as pointers to a lot of information that will be of use (click on their FAQ section).

7:55 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

I haven't read it, so this is more of an FYI than a specific recommendation, but my college squash coach wrote one:

Pacific Dream by John Illig

He also wrote one about doing the AT: Trail Ways, Path Wise.

2:18 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks, Bill and Alicia.

I think Pacific Dream is more what I'm looking for, I have read a ton of trailjournals, but I wanted something a bit more novel feeling to inspire me. I have a plan to Thruhike either the PCT or the AT, if I get layed off in this downturn before I look for new work. While I have read a ton about the AT, the PCT is right in my backyard..

Thanks for the help.

2:48 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

You might be looking for something like Pacific Coast Trail: Escape to the Wilderness or Dances with Marmots . You can download this last one instead of buying the hard copy for a bit less, if you like it from reading the first chapter on line.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply