About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

You know you're a backpacker when...

12:45 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you get calluses on the sides of your fingers from wrenching on boot laces.

1:34 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

During the winter, most of your internet browsing history contains new places to backpack, new gear, etc.

4:22 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Your wife tells you to buy the bigger tent because if you don't stop ordering new gear we are going to have to live in it.

4:36 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

You pack your stuff in boxes to move, and there are more boxes labeled "gear" than there are labeled "kitchen"

(Just did this. It's rather sobering.)

5:49 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

You pack your stuff in boxes to move, and there are more boxes labeled "gear" than there are labeled "kitchen"

In our case, when moving to the temporary rental, not only are there more boxes labelled "gear", "climbing books", "climbing magazines", and similar, but half the storage locker we had to rent because the stuff wouldn't fit is devoted to bicycles, tents (in their stuff sacks), skis, snowshoes, climbing gear, packs of assorted sizes and purposes, etc etc. And that's after all the donations to GoodWill, Friends of the Library, etc. Kitchen? Oh, you mean the cook kits and stoves for backpacking!

5:49 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You insist on taking the stairs at work and when you get to the top, you stop for a snack break.

Bill,

i can't begin to imagine if both of us backpacked, we would need a bigger apartment!!

6:54 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Your truck payment is late because there was a sale at REI.

You close your eyes at night and still see the white blaze.

You're always saying..."I just wanted to see if that way was quicker".

You have calluses on your shoulders.

You go around telling people about LNT and they just slam their door in your face.

Your the only person at the party who knows what a delrin buckle is.

The only person at the rest stop wearing a wool kilt. (not me)

You tell the clerk at Goodwill they should have a synthetic and wool section. (me)

You cook spaghetti noodles and then dehydrate them. Same with beans.

When not out backpacking you waste time on internet forums talking about it.

7:12 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you spend more nights out of the year in a tent than under a roof.

9:38 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

...you realize that you think the people who don't backpack are just a little....weird....

10:09 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You randomly organise a carpool for the 6 hour drive to MEC and back just because

There's an MSR pot gripper on top of your stove at home

There's a car under 5 feet of snow in the driveway because you unscrewed the liscence plate to make a brake on your winter sled (i just put it back yesterday :)

All your socks are expedition weight merino wool

You use your 90L pack to carry the groceries

You sleep on a thermarest

Your keychain is a swiss army knife/fox40/flint combo on a biner

Your homepage is Trailspace.com

12:48 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

...when you call in sick because it's the first nice day in ages...

1:29 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

You set up a hammock stand in the bedroom, sell the mattress set, and use your camping hammock all year....

9:28 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you name your sleeping bags (yes you can come with me this time, Hayden McWeatherfordshiredam IV)

11:49 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

... you fondle wonder if that crazy hermit that lives in a cave up on the mountain will be you one day...

11:58 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

...who's fondling crazy hermits??

4:34 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

My backpack's name is Landrover

You name your blisters things like "Evil postmaster", "switch-back", "section O" "elevation gain".....

You talk to squirels

5:11 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

When your preferred habitation is the tent over a house.

Then you are in the backpacking spirit.

When Randy Wruck decides it's the right time to make fun of you at his church functions, along with Phil Shadler concerning the same.

When you call those harvestmen your best friends. http://www.backyardnature.net/longlegs.htm

3:04 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,043 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

You wonder if the meal you are eating can be dehydrated effectively...

7:58 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

East,

Quite correct... Fondly wondering...

... you go to REI just to fondle the next tent you are saving up for....

(was going to say "piece of gear" but that would have given East more ammo..)

11:17 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You are given the weird look when you try to explain to your co-workers how you ended up burning your hand when your homemade pepsi stove exploded..

11:21 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I know what you mean. They have the Kelty Orb Tent on sale on their outlet Site right now. Talk about a great deal on a quality four-season tent! See for yourself: http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/792280

Now I do wonder if haply this tent could hold up to hurricane-force winds. I do wonder...

Nice enough tent.

11:37 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Your picture on eharmony is a copy of the one you provided for the last REI catalog. Nylon travel shirt, Granite Gear pack, Sunday Afternoon broad brimmed hat, Keen hiking boots, REI Sahara zipoff pants...

11:44 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Stranger said:

I know what you mean. They have the Kelty Orb Tent on sale on their outlet Site right now. Talk about a great deal on a quality four-season tent! See for yourself: http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/792280

Now I do wonder if haply this tent could hold up to hurricane-force winds. I do wonder...

Nice enough tent.

aaaaaand, you know you're a backpacker when humor threads drift off topic to gear chat. :D

12:38 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

aaaaaand, you know you're a backpacker when humor threads drift off topic to gear chat. :D

LOL

You got me there!...LOL :)

2:56 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you see a hailstorm as a unique opportunity to test your tent.

3:15 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

It's -40 outside and when your friends jockingly say let's camp out you stop and think about it..

8:42 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

You know you are a climber or backcountry skier, when it's -40, your friends say let's camp out, and you don't hesitate to grab your gear and head for the door.

10:51 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

When you visit relatives for the holidays, you camp in the backyard

You sleep in your sleeping bag cause you just can't get comfy under bed covers

You never stay in motels when traveling, but stay in the woods nearby

you cook on your campstove at home, cause thats the only cookset you have

when you go hiking for the weekend, you don't want to go back to work on Monday

11:55 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you learn edible plants to save weight in your pack.

9:52 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

...you see a hailstorm as a unique opportunity to test your tent.

Or a hurricane.

I plan to do this very thing. No kidding on my part.

9:54 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

When you visit relatives for the holidays, you camp in the backyard

You sleep in your sleeping bag cause you just can't get comfy under bed covers

You never stay in motels when traveling, but stay in the woods nearby

you cook on your campstove at home, cause thats the only cookset you have

when you go hiking for the weekend, you don't want to go back to work on Monday

I can personally relate to all these statements.

I do these very things. :)

9:57 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

You know you are a climber or backcountry skier, when it's -40, your friends say let's camp out, and you don't hesitate to grab your gear and head for the door.

What about this Bill: Your friends inform you a hurricane is approaching and rather than evacuating you decide to ride out the same in your quality four-season tent.

10:03 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Your picture on eharmony is a copy of... REI Sahara zipoff pants...

In my case it would be a pair of Campmor brand Trekkmor zip-off pants.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11224

11:20 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Bill S said:

What about this Bill: Your friends inform you a hurricane is approaching and rather than evacuating you decide to ride out the same in your quality four-season tent.

and you think about pieces of the house coming off and damaging the tent, instead of thinking, OMG, my house is damaged!

1:24 p.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You sub-lease your appartment for the summer, leaving all your furniture, electronics, clothing and pictures and you think "OMG, i just hope my winter camping gear is there when i come back!"

1:25 p.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

ministercreek said:

Bill S said:

and you think about pieces of the house coming off and damaging the tent, instead of thinking, OMG, my house is damaged!

It's hard to imagine me living in a house.

I truly believe my tent will hold up to such storms, namely hurricanes.

9:22 a.m. on April 20, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

(sunday morning)

"Honey, would you like some cowboy coffee?"

"you went and got new coffee? we have some in the freezer... yeah ill have a cup."

cowboy coffee is no longer allowed in the house...

7:45 p.m. on April 20, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

...you test your new sleeping bag in your room with the windows open, during winter...And maybe the fan blowing on you...

12:55 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

You never stow your gear it always stays mostly packed, accessible & ready to go at a moments notice.

8:31 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

You pull out you gear and set it up in the yard because the weather is great and you can't get to yor favorite trail

8:38 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

You pull out you gear and set it up in the yard because the weather is great and you can't get to yor favorite trail

Say what now? How about: "you pull out your gear and set it up in the yard because it's raining balls and the wind's blowing it sideways and you want to know if your new tarp leaks." Oh, and... "you can't get to your favorite trail."

9:32 a.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

jmcwatty said:

Say what now? How about: "you pull out your gear and set it up in the yard because it's raining balls and the wind's blowing it sideways and you want to know if your new tarp leaks." Oh, and... "you can't get to your favorite trail."

.... and to wake up soaking wet and say " I guess I need a new tarp..."

4:38 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

jmcwatty said:

Been there

9:33 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

...when you partake in a spirited debate about boots. ....and tents in hurricanes.

You ask questions no one can answer like: How do you get snail slime off a tent.

You hike all day just to cook over a beer can cause that is the real test of your stove making skills.

You use terms like: Nobo & Sobo, Lat / Lon, Kicking steps.

You try to get away from all the bells and whistles but somebody always carries one or the other.

You spend 275.00 on a new 4 piece rod and reel. (me)

9:28 a.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

You never stow your gear it always stays mostly packed, accessible & ready to go at a moments notice.

yup, I check on my two packs at least once a week. I don't want them gaining weight when i'm not around...

10:33 a.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

You join a hiking group, sign up for a hike, pack your day pack the night before with the ten essentials, set out your trail shoes and Smartwool socks, throw some probars in the pack, study the trail guide to determine whether you need gaiters, take along your pop can stove and beer can pot just in case you'd like some tea, your wind/rain shirt, a fleece just in case, rise and put on those nylon pants and wicking t shirt, throw on the broad brimmed hat, don't forget your bug net....

... and end up walking the trail alongside people wearing spongebob socks, Skechers, shorts, and carrying a Subway sammy for when they get hungry. Maybe three of them remembered to bring a bottle of (flavored, vitamin enhanced) water.

And then when they are all hot and tired and dying of thirst, you pump them some water, give them some bandaids and moleskin for their blisters, and become a salesperson for good hiking shoes. Plus you find that one who disappeared on the way up the hill when the group is going back down; he's having a minor heat exhaustion problem beside the trail and didn't bother to tell anyone he felt ill.

And the very next group, fully half the walkers have nice new sale rack Asolos, Keens and Lowas - and find that they don't fit properly. UP the learning curve we go....

I am in a meetup group - the organizer made me an assistant organizer. While I have been known to pop a Quiznos in the pack on a day hike, I also carry three extra liters of water and extra food. Plus walking talkies.

4:11 p.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

...when you partake in a spirited debate about... tents in hurricanes.

Only something I would think of too! LOL

However I am very serious concerning this.

5:56 a.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Ministercreek, you have obviously never been through a hurricane. Last September when the hurricane hit my area, I went to AL on a three day Pinhoti Trail hike. I figured I could pick up the pieces later, have fun while it blew.

12:44 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You stay in a 100$/night room in a hotel and cook your dinner on the window sill with your alcool stove...

6:28 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

NotQuiteThere said:

" ... and end up walking the trail alongside people wearing spongebob socks, Skechers, shorts, and carrying a Subway sammy for when they get hungry. Maybe three of them remembered to bring a bottle of (flavored, vitamin enhanced) water."

Been there done that! They all seemed to think I should lighten up with all my preparedness crap. You know, just go with the flow.

9:54 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

NotQuiteThere said:

" ... and end up walking the trail alongside people wearing spongebob socks, Skechers, shorts, and carrying a Subway sammy for when they get hungry. Maybe three of them remembered to bring a bottle of (flavored, vitamin enhanced) water."

Been there done that! They all seemed to think I should lighten up with all my preparedness crap. You know, just go with the flow.

It's all fun and games until you're on Half Dome in a bikini wearing flipflops over your blisters, sunburned like unto a hot cheeto. Then it's all about the hikers with the sunscreen and the electrolytes, bailing your silly unprepared @$$ out of the backcountry.

12:18 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Ministercreek, you have obviously never been through a hurricane. Last September when the hurricane hit my area, I went to AL on a three day Pinhoti Trail hike. I figured I could pick up the pieces later, have fun while it blew.

No unfortunately I never been through an hurricane (yet).

Hopefully this will change in the near future however. I did purchased a quality four-season tent that I trust will hold up to the strong winds and heavy rains hurricanes are known for.

10:20 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Ministercreek,

Try one in a real building first. Then decide it you really want to try one in a tent. All that stuff you read about the wind on mountain tops being at hurricane strength is all cool, but there are no trees and flying debris on Everest. If you want to do it, go for it. But it can be a very scary thing to go through in a well built brick and mortar structure. I consider myself to be somewhat hardcore on things like that, but I would never consider a real hurricane in a tent.

Far be it from me to tell you what you should do, but as someone who has spent 39 years living on the gulf coast and lived through scores of hurricanes (and who is considered to be stupid by everyone I know because I wont normally leave my house for a hurricane) I would encourage you to really think about it. Some hurricanes are nothing at all, some are scary as hell.

That said, if you should decide to try one in the MS or LA area, let me know. I will come check on you when it is over.

5:01 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
11 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

...you enjoy eating whatever the hell you want guilt free with a beautiful view and nobody to disturb you.

7:16 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Ministercreek,

Try one in a real building first. Then decide it you really want to try one in a tent. All that stuff you read about the wind on mountain tops being at hurricane strength is all cool, but there are no trees and flying debris on Everest. If you want to do it, go for it. But it can be a very scary thing to go through in a well built brick and mortar structure. I consider myself to be somewhat hardcore on things like that, but I would never consider a real hurricane in a tent.

Far be it from me to tell you what you should do, but as someone who has spent 39 years living on the gulf coast and lived through scores of hurricanes (and who is considered to be stupid by everyone I know because I wont normally leave my house for a hurricane) I would encourage you to really think about it. Some hurricanes are nothing at all, some are scary as hell.

That said, if you should decide to try one in the MS or LA area, let me know. I will come check on you when it is over.

I was planning camping at Airy Lake just north of Gulfport Mississppi during the hurricane. That is located in the Desoto National Forest.

My hurricane tent has arriver here at the Madison REI Store. I will be picking up the same in a bit. I did get the Kelty Orb 2 that was on a special closeout at REI-outlet.com.

Thanks for the suggestions and follow up you have planned.

11:58 a.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have been there before. Nice camping area. They have a restroom and potable water. I backpacked in from Hwy 49, not knowing that I was on a trail that crossed all kinds of roads and has two public campgrounds on it (all accessible by roads). It is a beautiful forest and nice trail. I prefer the Black Creek Trail in that area, although it is not in the best shape now because of the sever damage caused by hurricane Katrina.

If you really want to do that, let me know. I aint gonna do it with you, but I really will come check on you.

2:37 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I never kid about such planned adventures. This is something I desired greatly to do for many years now. Either I was stuck working a job or lacked the time/funds to accomplish such an outdoor adventure.

I was praying for such a time as this. Now let's just hope my wish is honoured by Heaven.

2:47 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Well, since I live where such an event would not be good for me, I wont wish you good luck on it happening. But, like I said, let me know if you do it. I live within a 2 1/2 hour drive of that campground. I will come check on you after it is over (and bring a chainsaw to get the pine tree off you). Also, dont hike from Hwy 49 to the site, drive there. And, dont be surprised if NF employees come to run off.

Don't get me wrong. I can understand the desire to see nature at her worst and brave her. And truth be known, most hurricanes are not the monsters people act like they are. But, I have lived here all my life, so I dont want to get that close to one even though I wont run from them like so many others here do.

2:51 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Explorer Robby said:

.... "And, dont be surprised if NF employees come to run off".

Always someone has to ruin the fun/excitement of such an most worth endeavor.

Thanks for the warning!

Too bad these same employees can't prevent thefts in the backcountry. But to purposely interfere with my plans is totally unacceptable. And just think I have been waiting so long to accomplish the same!

Sorry for the rant!

3:34 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you don't understand "themed" threads.

3:44 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Don't get me wrong. I can understand the desire to see nature at her worst and brave her. And truth be known, most hurricanes are not the monsters people act like they are. But, I have lived here all my life, so I dont want to get that close to one even though I wont run from them like so many others here do.

All my life, even from childhood, I was always fascinated by storms. I can still recall all those hurricane and tornado pictures I drew and posted the same on walls.

I think people tend to overreact to storms, in my opinion. I for one welcome such wonders of nature. If these same most fearful blokes are so terrified by these storms, just maybe these same persons should ask themselves why they made the decision to move into such hurricane-prone areas.

Good question I think.

Too bad these people are NOT very concerned when it comes to making the most disturbing noises at night, to ruin a peaceful time in the backcountry. I never forgot that idiot next door who decided to blast the sounds of that stupid solid body guitar (the kind of guitar I hate I must point out) over his stereo system, all the night long. Plus all the noises caused by all those assembled drunks. Let the hurricane wipe these people out is what I say!

It only goes to shew drunks don't even know what a good guitar is. I myself only like hollow body electric arch-top instruments, like the Guild Starfire models and Gibson Byrdland for example.

4:24 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Well, I must say, I am a Les Paul fan. I play an Ibanez RG 350 DX. But hey, cant we all just get along? Hehehee. I like all guitar music. From bluegrass to heavy metal. Big John Denver fan. And yes, most hurricanes are overblown hype. But we can never know which is and which isnt. I believe in freedom. If you choose to do that, go ahead.

And yeah, I have had to camp near enough rednecks (wait, I am technically a redneck) in my day to know what you mean. I prefer the solitude of backcountry. Freedom at its best (and I leave all music makers at home when I go).

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread

4:53 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSANqrdsjWw&feature=related

I will abmit I love this group, The Soft Machine. These guys were most talented. I for one love the ending of this particular song. Nice work on the Gibson EB 2. The sounds of an hollow body just reasonates through the hollow body don't you think, something one can't get from an solid body instrument. Just my opinion though.

4:50 p.m. on May 2, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Sounds great. Guitars are like backpacking gear, alot of what you like has to do with personal taste. I personally like the feel of a solid body guitar much better. But heck, I like certain styles of music better that others.

Its like the gear questions "which so and so is the best?". No real answer to the question, just opinion based on what each individual likes. I do admit, that is a great sound.

9:15 p.m. on May 2, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

as long as it doesn't have a pointy headstock, I'm ok with it.

3:06 p.m. on May 3, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Sounds great. Guitars are like backpacking gear, alot of what you like has to do with personal taste. I personally like the feel of a solid body guitar much better. But heck, I like certain styles of music better that others.

Its like the gear questions "which so and so is the best?". No real answer to the question, just opinion based on what each individual likes. I do admit, that is a great sound.

I must say I agree with your point-it's all personal tastes.

I always like the look/sound of hollowbodies. It's just me. I love the f-holes too. Very artistic in my opinion. May it is the more "natural" sound plus the sounds from the pick-ups that appeal to me. Something to brainstorm about.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/guildStarfire.php

Thanks for the info concerning Airy Lake. Good to hear they have running water there. Good for cooking and keeping clean. Thanks very much!

3:08 p.m. on May 3, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Like the GIBSON Ripper or Flying V models?

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/03/gibson-grabber.html

http://www.flying-v.ch/

11:24 a.m. on May 4, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Like the GIBSON Ripper or Flying V models?

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/03/gibson-grabber.html

http://www.flying-v.ch/

no those gibsons rock out just fine. i'm talking solid state amped up neon green with built in handle locking tremelo pointy... can't stand em.

the flying v is a nice axe. never played a g1 but my buddy stu says he likes em...

12:04 p.m. on May 4, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I wish you can post a link to what you are referring to. I would like to get a visual. Then I can have a better understanding.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Topic. My fault though-I did take it off-topic with my rant.

For this I do apologize and beseech your forgiveness. :)

2:41 p.m. on May 4, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

...you tell your friend, "Yeah I think I've heard of that. Isn't it called a television?"

10:50 a.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

...you tell your friend, "Yeah I think I've heard of that. Isn't it called a television?"

I never watch television. A complete waste of good time in my opinion.

Someone once made this statement to me: "everyone watches television, why don't you"? My answer: "I'm not everyone, I'm just me and I hate the same with a *perfect hatred*.

10:23 p.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

When your friends call or e-mail for recommendations for equipment ( and you give them 5 equipment options for every question).

When you can outfit art least two of your friends completely so they can go on a trip with you.

When you have to sneak new equipment past your spouse into the house.

When you've memorized, to the 1/10th of an ounce, the weight of all your equipment.

Eric

10:23 p.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

When your friends call or e-mail for recommendations for equipment ( and you give them 5 equipment options for every question).

When you can outfit art least two of your friends completely so they can go on a trip with you.

When you've memorized, to the 1/10th of an ounce, the weight of all your equipment.

Eric

10:37 p.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Bill S

"You know you are a climber or backcountry skier, when it's -40, your friends say let's camp out, and you don't hesitate to grab your gear and head for the door."

I'm ready. Bill I know you're ready too. Thing is most of my friends would never say that, not to me anyway... if you know what I mean.

Why are you in a rental?

Hey 12 years after breaking my leg I can run some and chase my dog around. Of course she's half greyhound, so she always wins. This is a "waiting dog", that is, no matter where I go, shes passed me and is always sitting patiently waiting for me to get there.

YOU KNOW YOU"RE A BACKPACKER, backcountry skier, etc, when your gear is worth more than you enquity in your home.

Jim S

10:47 p.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

300 Wind bag :->

"

___________________________________________________________-

Umm, I can outfit 2 friends except for Winter, if theby have boots. And of course I know the weight of every piece of gear, to .1 oz. But a real man doesn't have sneak past his spouse with new camping gear... No - A real man just stashes it in his 4x4 and takes it out of the REI bag at the trail head. So I'll bet you ask for a plain brown bag huh? Or better a Safeway bag - good camo.

Jim S

2:09 p.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

"no I don't need a bag and yes Ill be paing in cash thank you."

3:05 p.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

Jim S asked why I am in a rental - because the old house was no longer large enough to contain all our climbing, skiing, bicycling, and camping gear, along with the maps, guidebooks, and other books related to the woods and hills, so we had to bulldoze the old house and build a new one with double the square footage. That plus the fact that the old house was deteriorating seriously from neglected and deferred maintenance that never got done because Barb and I are always off in the woods and hills

-- oh, wait, I guess that says we are "backpackers", doesn't it? (Jim will testify that my comments about lack of room for the gear are true, not made up).

As for sneaking the new gear into the house, Barb gets at least as much new gear per year as I do, so which spouse are you talking about?

- you know you are a backpacker when you and your spouse argue over whether to do the AT or PCT next summer ... then compromise by one of you doing the AT and the other doing the PCT.

True story related to the rebuild - we wanted a 2-car garage to help store the gear. The People's Republic of Palo Alto (same folks as are now wanting to eliminate the Public Comment section of Council meetings, because "it takes away from the real business of the Council to have to listen to these wackos" - and that is a quote in the minutes of a recent meeting) have a rule that a 2-car garage must have a 20x20 foot clear space inside. The city planners looked at the elevation views and declared that the garage was too big. So we proposed that it be considered a one car and 7 bicycle garage (so we could have more closet space inside and still stay within the allowed footprint for the house). The Planning Office rejected that proposal (PA is supposedly a "bike-friendly city"), insisting it to be a 2-car garage, despite the fact that no one in Palo Alto uses their garage to park cars.

5:53 p.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Eric

When you don't have a spouse because you're always out backpacking with other people's spouses, so never meet anyone you can spouse with yourself.

When you can recite the URLs of your favorite cottage gear manufacturers when you are asked for recommendations on the trail, as well as prices and a general summary of the user reviews from backpackgeartest.

When you can bring two extra stoves, two shelters, two extra pads and random rain ponchos to the trailhead, because you know someone will forget something.

When your bear canister has more miles on it than your car.

5:46 a.m. on May 11, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

When you can outfit at least two of your friends completely so they can go on a trip with you.

I can outfit 6 backpackers (sans the boots) and there is just my wife and I living here.

But, you know you are a backpacker when you go to a fine resturant and your wife notices you eating the pasta dish with a spoon.

7:52 a.m. on May 12, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

...you evaluate prospective spouses based on their gear holdings. Mine had an original North Face Oval Intention, dubbed "the Bim-Bam Room" (yes, we name our tents). Love at first sight...

6:27 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

You mean like those so-called campers who cower in fear when the smallest little cloud forms over their tent?

My soul hateth and despiseth all such persons. No lie.

1:44 a.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

you keep energy bars and bottled water in your car...just in case

you wear a rain jacket on a sunny day JUST IN CASE

you pass my the cooking section in walmart and double take cuz you could have SWORN you saw an MSR pot

you get excited when you have no dinner plans so you can use your cookset

you're the only one in 10 miles that's happy when the power goes out in winter

you ignore your boss's emails to click on *30% off sale at REI.com*

you think about your next hike durring you current one

Trailspace is your homepage (its not mine but it should be!)

1:47 a.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

oh yea.....you planned on hitting the hay 2 hours ago but got lost on backpacking forums and ebay jacket bids :)

9:16 p.m. on July 30, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you find yourself cutting open hairspray cans to make new alky stove prototypes.

11:22 p.m. on July 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

You've never done it and like reading about it

11:46 a.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

You check daily like a ritual to see what your fellow backpacker friends are doing and saying on Trailspace!

7:28 a.m. on August 2, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Your dream job is testing gear.

9:41 a.m. on August 2, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

'Pack a lunch' for an afternoon outing means stove and freeze dried food - even though you know you'll pass multiple grocery stores and food establishments on the way.

11:33 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

You buy a bed (first one in over a year) and you would rather sleep on the floor.

1:15 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Most of your recipe's will work on or off the trail, and the aproval process of new recipe's includes trying it out on trail.

7:12 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

When you realize that sewing does come in handy.

12:00 a.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

...you test your new sleeping bag in your room with the windows open, during winter...And maybe the fan blowing on you...

Oh my god. I've actually DONE this before.. and yes, with a fan on. (I need it anyway.. gotta have some kinda noise)

12:06 a.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

btw, howzit trout? Been busy, we're launching new air service to Beckley, West Virginia and i have been SSSSOOO distracted by the New River & Gauley. Need to go hikin before the Boy Scouts turns the area into Philmont-East (they just bought like 100,000 acres)

9:34 p.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Doing well, have been real busy myself! Gotta make time for a trip. I want to do the Foothills Trail this winter.

9:50 p.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

When your back at home and you say to yourself....."I think there's half a snickers bar in my pack."

12:32 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...you can accurately guess the weight of "trimmable" stuff from a pack.

12:50 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yes but the supply's needed to sew with are a pine needle and a piece of tread off of the hem of your pants.

12:53 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

...you find yourself cutting open hairspray cans to make new alky stove prototypes.

Is that the voice of experience ? ;-)

11:44 a.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

When water-proof adhesive tape is used for cuts and blisters on hands, fingers and feet more often the band-aids.

10:57 p.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

...when you think "It's a shame seam-grip doesn't work well as a liquid bandage..."

11:03 p.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Yes but the supply's needed to sew with are a pine needle and a piece of tread off of the hem of your pants.

Duly noted!

11:03 p.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Duly noted!

12:01 a.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Ruh oh. Did someone put vodka in Trout's bladder again?

9:59 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

- you get back from a trip and people ask where you have been and you tell em. They always ask "where is that"? - anywhere off a highway is unknown to them

- you don't care if you have to dig a hole to take a dump....

10:11 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome frank in oz,

I am considering teaching my next trail dog how to dig those holes for me, I think it is possible. HaHa

Travelnate.....yeah, ME!

11:51 a.m. on October 24, 2009 (EDT)
333 reviewer rep
127 forum posts

- when you keep your backpack fully stocked and ready in the trunk of your car so that with any chance you get to hit the trails your gone immediately

- your friends call you Grizzly Adams

- you feel crowded if there are people within 5 miles

- you wear hiking boots to your wedding!

11:39 p.m. on October 24, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

...when you ask your relatives to save ALL metal cans for you

...you spend hours in the garage working on an upside downdraft wood gas stove, just 'cause

...you take a break from the stove project 'cause Survivorman is coming on

...your wife suggests: "Can't you just buy a stove like that, you were looking at one on the computer?"

10:16 p.m. on October 27, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

You see an M&M that someone dropped on the trail and you eat it.

10:35 p.m. on October 27, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

rambler,

Nice, funny, and totally believable!

1:04 p.m. on October 28, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,910 forum posts

You see an M&M that someone dropped on the trail and you eat it.

A few years ago we were hiking with some relatives (all active folks, but not regular hikers). My young son was eating trail mix during a snack break and dropped M&M's on the ground. I immediately picked them up and ate them. Some relatives were horrified.

I tried to explain that it was just a little dirt and good LNT practice, etc. They thought I was nuts.

10:55 a.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

-every time you go somewhere new you spot good campsites....even in town! (I'm sure Gary is doing this too..)

-If you get your hands on a small scale you immediatly start weighting all your new gear.

-You take the stairs at work and stop at the top for a snack break.

-you wear your down booties at home because they're soooo comfortable.

-Your wife has never seen you in a pair of jeans because "cotton takes so long to dry"

-You start your white gas stove in the house just because you miss the noise.

-Your dreams always involve a topo map.

-You try to explain to the clerk at the grocery store how to pack an ultralight backpack.

-You know how much calories there are in a Snickers.

-You're using your car's liscence plate on your winter sled more than on your car.

5:52 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

...you get calluses on the sides of your fingers from wrenching on boot laces.

Try tying your shoes with a Square Bow knot and pulling it tight, it is like a square knot bow, instead of a Granny Bow knot like most people were trained to tie.
I have some tennies I can slip on and off, tying them with a Square Bow I can avoid retying them for months at a time.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply