If you only had one more trip before you died....

10:35 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

...where would it be?

Not to be morbid, just looking to see what folks' favorite or most cherished places are.

Mine would be to the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana, probably up in the Badger-Two Medicine area.

11:11 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I would love to go back to the Philmont Scout Ranch one more time and stand on top of Baldy mountian.

6:21 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Israel, Italy, or Tibet. Whichever one would be more do-able.

7:30 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

I know this sounds crazy, but after 20 years of hiking the Grand Canyon, I would love to go to Mars and do the Mariners Trench which on earth would reach from New York to Los Angeles and is 4 miles deep. The Grand Canyon is about 280 miles long and 1 mile deep.

9:07 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

You might need more water Gary. But I appreciate your aspirations!

1:17 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Although I would also like to do Valle Marineris, there's no way to get there - yet. I would also like to climb Olympus Mons. On the other hand, a trip to the Space Station is available, and maybe soon to the Moon. I am applying for a Stimulus Grant to do one or both, since the tickets are a bit out of my financial reach.

One of the points of retiring was to have the time available to complete my Bucket List. Well, the house rebuild got in the way, but that should be done by August or September, so I have several of my "last trip" expeditions at least in the planning stages. Barb and I haven't been to Asia yet, so Fujiyama and the Japanese Alps (hey, tokyo bill, some guidance needed here), a Himalayan trek including a couple peaks (not 8000 meter ones, too expensive), and the Gobi Desert are on the list. In the Southern Hemisphere, it's back to Antarctica for Vinson again plus The Last Degree, climbs in Paine and Torres NPs, and crossing South Georgia Island (I'd love to visit Elephant Island while down there, too). Another photosafari to Africa, plus Barb wants to do Kilimanjaro (we'll use a different route than the one I did), and I'd like to do Mt Kenya (Ruwenzori is politically not feasible these days). Heading north, a crossing of Greenland and Baffin (plus a bit of climbing on Baffin), and a crossing of Spitzbergen, and maybe something in Iceland (haven't gotten out of Keflavik yet). The Galapagos are in there. Maybe I should do the complete AT in one push, since there are some large sections I haven't done.

Sorry, Perry, I don't accept your "One Last Trip" limitation - so many places, so little time (we are checking off the lists in 1000 places in the World and 1000 Places in the US, but the house project has us bypassing the latest one in the series, 1000 Buildings to See Before You Die).

2:28 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

If I had only one more trip, it would be a long one.

I would start at the southern most end of the AT and go to the tip of Maine the turn south west to the Aderondecks (and hike around there for a while) then go east to the Rockey's area turning south hitting all that through that area. Continuing south to the boarder hitting all the good stuff along the way. Then ending the last leg of my last and final trip on a beautiful beach in Bahajaj Mexico.

Where I could relax one last time and kik off watching a sunset with a drink in a pineapple with an umbrella in it.

4:51 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Well, at least yours is one (long!) trip, Mike! Bill flagarantly cheated--though it's easy to understand, of course.

My last trip would be a "trip home" sort of endeavor. Looking for one last time at the place that took my heart.

5:17 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

If I could only have one more trip, it would be a four or five day ski touring trip in Yosemite National Park up in the high country of Tuolumne Meadows in late-February or early-March.

9:12 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

... Bill flagarantly cheated--though it's easy to understand, of course.

I did not! Retirement is one long trip, with numerous stops and side excursions. Well, it is supposed to be, anyway. But somehow things seem to keep getting in the way.

The idea here is to head out on one of the excursions, stop by the house to sort the mail and pay the bills (though the bills are mostly payable by the bank's epay), then off on the next leg of the "Bucket List" journey. The game, of course, is to see how far you can get before Kicking The Bucket (or until the Bucket bashes you).

9:47 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

lol...okay, I'll grant the "one long trip" bit as long as you don't actually sleep overnight in the house!

11:38 p.m. on April 24, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

OK if I camp in the back yard ;?

12:15 a.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

A prime example of how well regulations and rules work.

The more industrious of us always find a way around the rules like a border collie at an agility event! HaHa.

I hope when I retire everyone just gets out of my way and lets me enjoy the great outdoors however I see fit.

Within the rules of course. (slight sarcasm)

7:23 a.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Too easy!
Sail around the world for a few years, wind in my hair,the high seas....
And i could pretty much stretch the trip as long as i want!

12:32 p.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

No more than two consecutive nights in the backyard, Bill!

Franc--Why does no one ever want to venture out on the low seas?

2:08 p.m. on April 27, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Perry

Franc--Why does no one ever want to venture out on the low seas?

Submarines are too expensive .... :-)

6:08 p.m. on April 27, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

franc,

If you want...I know a guy. Diesel only though.

6:42 p.m. on June 24, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

a trip to wherever my bride of 40 years happened to be.

7:13 p.m. on June 24, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Around the world! Sloooowly...

7:53 p.m. on June 24, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Base camp of Everest...

11:34 p.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,049 forum posts

FYI, I moved the "Would you prefer to die in a hospital or out alone in a tent?" posts to their own thread:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/57629.html

11:44 p.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

My last great trip would be to do the AT, southbound to be different. Then hitch a ride to the ocean and kayak/sail my way all over the Atlantic. Another long trip but sounds fun.

If I had to choose between sailing and hiking, I think I would have to choose sailing, sorry to disapoint.

Everest Base Camp is a cool idea.

3:06 a.m. on June 26, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
610 reviewer rep
674 forum posts

Venzuelan tepui. Much as I love the Earth's colder places, these tropical plateus have got to be among the most exotic places on Earth.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler/articles/1017venezuela.html

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply