An Adaptation of a Genius Idea

4:33 a.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Edited to show photos.

Have any of you heard of a Grilliput? It's a collapsable backpacking grill that is the sweetest little thing I've seen lately. Here's a pic of it.

Here's a pic of it collapsed.

They also came out with a folding fire-bowl. Here's a pic of that.

And here's a pic of em together. Genius!

Now here's my idea.

I gave the veggie steamer fire-bowl a try this evening and it worked gloriously. All of the hundreds of holes provided tonnes of air to the flames, (Pine cones and twigs.) and the legs kept the fire off the ground and outa trouble. It didn't warp or deform with the heat, and I don't think it weighs more that a couple ounces. It's the ultimate $5.00 Leave-No-Trace fire pit. I love it!

Enjoy!

Peace!

11:23 a.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,298 forum posts

Interesting idea! There are a number of portable fire boxes out there (I have been given several as samples at the OR Show, but never found them completely satisfactory - usually too heavy).

TJC, do the ashes fall through the holes? That might be a concern for fire safety, if some of the still hot embers can fall through.

1:15 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

If I know I'm going to have an open fire (which I usually don't), I take along a pie tin. It sort of protects the earth from heat, and nicely contains hot embers and ashes.

1:32 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

A large #10 can that soups and things come in for restuarants throw away works for me. And all I do is use a old can opener and put a number of holes in the bottom sides of the can for air. A simple grill can be made from a stiff wire mesh folded down over the top of the can.

Also a Campbells soup can makes an excellent mini stove. Just punch for holes around the bottom sides and around the top sides. Place a easylight briquette inside, lit it and you have a stove, brace it with stones and set your cook pot on it. At one briquette per meal stored in a ziploc bag can be easily store with the food.

2:29 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Good Idea TJ

I liked it so much that I took the liberty (not Jeep ;-)) of posting your pics for you.

When we car camped, for years our grill top was an old wire refrigerator shelf. Would probably still be using it, but someone "needed" it more than we did.

8:13 p.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Hi guys! f klock, thanx for adding the pix for me. Preciated! HA! I've done the wire shelf thing too on group car camping trips. It's amazing how much food you can fit on one of those things, eh? :-) Nope, no large embers ever fell through in about twenty minutes of burning. Of course the holes are only about an eighth of an inch in diameter so only a random spark has any chance of making it through. By the time I was done, and had let the metal cool, ;-) there was only a light dusting of itty bitty white ash bits directly below the bottom plate. Of course one can always cut out the bottom off of a pie tin and roll it up to take along as an ash catcher. Or just use it on rocks. I love it! I'm gonna take some pix of it in use tonight at work. (Yeahhhh, I get to go for hikes and light fires at work. It's rough sometimes, but I cope.) ;-) I might buy some raw charcoal too and see how well that works. Mmmmmm... Fresh chicken breasts over a charcoal fire. (Real charcoal, not briquettes.) Aaaaaaah!!! Um, how do you get drool out of a $150.00 keyboard?

Later!

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply