Out of the Wild- The Alaska Experiment

10:16 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I have been watching this show since it's start this season and I find it very interesting. I do however find it a bit irritatating that they do not have what I would consider proper equipment. I understand that it is a show about surviving in Alaska but if I were going into the wild like they are I would be a bit more prepare(I guess that's the scout in me).

Has anyone else been watching the show? What are your opinions?

10:31 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Keep in mind, it's a "reality" TV show. Gear? They have a helo ready to evac at a moment's notice. Now THAT'S what I call being prepared.

I've watched it, but it's just like all the rest of the reality programs.

10:37 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I did not think about the helo ready to evac... You are right that's being super prepared. They can leave whenever they want.

11:06 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I watch it. I think it's interesting. These people (for the most part) are from the city and have no idea what's going on. I watch it when I can.

2:23 a.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I laugh when they talk about "going on for days without food". If they were really from the city and didn't have food for that long I doubt they would be as sane as they appear. I also think that the first two folks that 'gave up' were forced to do so because they had a wealth of knowledge between them about surviving in the wild. That would have made the show dull and the producers probably slipped them some cash to get lost.

12:18 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I watched last season's slightly different version and this season so far...I like it. It is a "reality" show but I would give it a shot, hike in Alaska, hunt for food or go hungry, try to stay dry and warm...the hardest part would be getting along with your partners that you just met. Some of the people have outdoor experience, but not survival experience.

Outside of the Helo for rescue, they are all sporting nice outerwear, OR, Arc Teryx, Mountain Hardwear, North Face...although one girl has what looks like Duct Tape over the logo on her jacket?

Yes they do have the option to call for a rescue and some have. But lot of people these days are using SPOT for their backcountry trips, I wont knock them for it.

1:23 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

they are all sporting nice outerwear, OR, Arc Teryx, Mountain Hardwear, North Face...although one girl has what looks like Duct Tape over the logo on her jacket?

That's because her sponsor is Duct Tape, Inc ;=>D

Reality shows have paid sponsors, so they cover up, avoid filming, remove, and otherwise conceal competing logos. Ministercreek would have a field day with complaints about that kind of censorship! (no, MC, I am not encouraging you to respond!).

Reality shows have a contractual obligation, as well as a legal one, to protect their actors, er, I mean, participants. There are risks involved even for professional stuntpeople, of course, and the participants do sign waivers. On some of the reality shows, the participants only go out for the filmed part that you see, then go to more comfortable quarters at the end of the day. Ostensibly, the premise of the Alaska Experiment is just that - a bunch of city slickers (just ordinary folks, like you, the TV viewer) are tossed into a "highly risky" environment as an experiment to see if they can survive. There has been some discussion of these shows and their actual realism, including how much coaching the actors, er, excuse me again, I meant participants, get and how much backup there is. You may recall that one of the famous "solo" experts who gets dropped (literally, using parachute, rappel line, etc) into simulated scenarios (plane crash in the Arctic was one of them) had to reveal the amount of backup and support he actually had - doesn't seem to have diminished his popularity, though.

10:39 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

HaHa, Duct tape INC. Good one!

I have watched the show, one the one hand it's interesting, on the other hand it's real cheesy. I would rather watch something like the Iditarod, or the ECO Challenge, remember that show?

For some real reality, try taking only a fishing rod & gorp / cliff bars etc., No freeze dried or other foods. I actually did this once with a friend, Brian D, boy, do tempers flare when things don't go right! We got skunked two days in a row, After eating cliff bars for two days (oatmeal raisin walnut or something) my buddy got so mad he was slapping the water with his rod after missing a fish, and saying things I won't repeat.

Truth be told I wasn't far behind. But it was a good lesson in how tempers flare when a group is tired, hungry, or just frustrated. I now find it very funny to think about.

I see that in some of the reality shows, and I think that's part of the alure they hold.

11:06 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Trout,

I loved the Iditarod. I thought that was great!

12:03 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

The Versus Channel Iditarod series wasn't as well done this year and lost the drama it could have had, given the really bad weather. Last year's was done better and more interesting. Then again, last year we had a friend running the Iditarod. So there was a bit of personal interest. One of these years, Barb and I plan to go up for one of the Iditarod tours. These involve spending about a week, with the first few days spent learning how to handle a dog team and getting acquainted with "your" team and learning how to do the feeding and care (under very close supervision, of course). Then you head out on the actual course for 3 days camping at one of the actual checkpoints on an easy part of the course. No nightime running, though, and a much more leisurely pace (something like 20 miles total for the 3 days, and served meals). One big difference from the real thing is that the group stays pretty close together and there is a lot of supervision on the trail with the guides using snowmobiles to keep close track. It's a bit pricey at any of the choices, but should be a lot of fun. We are checking out several of the outfitters who run these, one of which is the kennel of one of the major past competitors.

2:02 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Bill that sounds awesome, I did not know they did trips like that. Might be someting I would look into as well.

9:10 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I laugh when they talk about "going on for days without food". If they were really from the city and didn't have food for that long I doubt they would be as sane as they appear. I also think that the first two folks that 'gave up' were forced to do so because they had a wealth of knowledge between them about surviving in the wild. That would have made the show dull and the producers probably slipped them some cash to get lost.

I agree with the loss of the first two folks. I sat there and thought "huh?" - It didn't seem to make any sense to me. This season imo is far better then the first. I would hit the mute button and walk away for a snack when they would show what was going on with the old man and his two nasty daughters from the first season (I'm sure you recall them if you saw it!).

I don't like reality shows normally but this one keeps me fairly entertained. I particularly enjoy the hunting sessions.

I don't know how much of their struggle is real or how much assistance they really get so I won't judge either way. Regardless it's not a cake walk. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how tough it really is when I'm on the next season. :)

3:11 p.m. on May 9, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

For those interested they're playing repeats all night long on Discovery channel (Saturday 5/9).

9:53 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

The show is more about surviving than using fancy gear. Makes it more interesting to have to go without fancy modern camping equipment.

Thought it was kind of funny that they said Alaska law requires you to have a guide to hunt black bear and disallows shooting over 100 yards. Neither claim is true although given that they had limited shooting and hunting experience, both are wise recommendations.

3:36 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have been watching this and wonder, what were these people thinking when they signed up? That this would be a stroll in the park? Why sign up for something and then quit right away? I would have loved to take this journey. I am a 53 year old female and havent seen anything yet that would have scared me off or made me quit. Matter of fact, I would love to be living in one of those little cabins in the woods.

2:05 p.m. on May 27, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I watched this show for about 15 minutes and I thought it was a joke just like survivor series. The whole concept of being stuck in a life challenging situation with a few people you do or don't know should bring you closer together and stronger as a group but in this case you get whining and crying. Like the idea that half of them complain that the one guy keeps falling behind or like the complain1ng that they are using all the drinking water when there standing 100 feet from a mountain stream. First of I thing reality tv is B.S. it anything but reality plain and simple. further more when your moving through and unknown environment you pair people up 2 or more and you put the slowest person on point so know one gets left behind. Every one has different strong & weak points for instance I may not be uphill on a heavy grade 5 miles with out a breather but I will guarantee that my knowledge makes up for it. Its like f_klock stated at the beginning of this thread

Keep in mind, it's a "reality" TV show. Gear? They have a helo ready to evac at a moment's notice. Now THAT'S what I call being prepared.

I've watched it, but it's just like all the rest of the reality programs.

But that's my opinion

11:52 p.m. on May 27, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I haven't actually seen the show, but my dad was talking to me about it. He insisted that the challenges were all real, etc., but from what he told me it sounds as stupid and make-believe as Survivor.

He actually got mad when I refused to believe it was "for real".

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply