CPAP machine while camping. Possible?

8:26 a.m. on June 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello,

I am wondering if it would be possible to run a CPAP machine off of a deep cell marine battery during the night while camping. If it would work, I figure I could charge the battery during the day using a solor power charger. (CPAP provides Continuous Positive Air Pressure through a mask worn at night so I can supposedly sleep better.)

Anyone have experience, an opinion or an idea for me?

Thanks.

10:03 p.m. on June 13, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I've seen a batteryoperated CPAP on cpap.com, I think.......

11:22 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I use a CPAP. I asked my sleep doctor about it and they do have battery operated units. They are quite pricey, though. I think he told me around 600. But that was several years ago and things could have changed since then. I thought about the macguyver/battery idea as well. In theory, it should be an easy set up. If you try it, let me know!

1:49 p.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

I need to train for high altitude. Can I run it in reverse?

3:57 p.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

BigRiver, years ago I saw a high altitude simulator that could be used in a gym. Not battery powered though. I was thinking about getting one for training, but never did. No idea if they are still around, but now with the Internet, shouldn't be too hard to find out.

3:26 a.m. on June 21, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

Elite athletes have access ($$$) to high-altitude simulated rooms, but I think there was some discussion of banning their use as a form of doping. I suppose some kind of face-mask could be a budget substitute but, no thanks, I'll make do with running and biking here in the city, and occasional trips to 1500 to 1800 m, and just hope for the best when I go over 4000 later this summer. It's not all that high!

9:49 a.m. on June 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
580 forum posts

BigRed,

I have some suggestions:

1/ Induce polycythemia -- too many red blood cells -- easy enough to do.

2/ Go to a Hyperbaric Oxygen Center near you and ask them to set it at 4000 m. (That should be interesting)

3/ Attend a Congressional hearing. They seem to be chronically suffering from oxygen deprivation :)

4:48 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

An old professor of mine once measured elevated CO2 levels in various lecture halls, leading to the suggestion that the apparent soporific effect of scholarly lectures might not be entirely due to their content or presentation. I wonder what the CO2 levels in congress are?

11:18 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

An old professor of mine once measured elevated CO2 levels in various lecture halls, leading to the suggestion that the apparent soporific effect of scholarly lectures might not be entirely due to their content or presentation. I wonder what the CO2 levels in congress are?

Are you suggesting that all that hot air in Congress and the various parliaments and other legislatures, dumas, knessets, etc around the world might be a significant contributor to Global Warming, despite their total lack of contribution to peace, understanding, and the solution of local, national, and world problems?

Sorry, off-topic.

Anyway, on the CPAP for camping - some of the senior instructors on courses I am on staff for that involve camping use CPAPs. Almost all are in places where electricity is available (albeit sometimes with very long extension cords). But one fellow had some type of battery powered machine. The battery was big enough and in several sections that he had a couple other people help pull it into the camp on a wheelbarrow/trailer (only a couple miles in and fairly easy trail).

One thing about the CPAPs when camping, though, is that they are a bit noisy (less so than some people's snoring), which can bother your more light-sleeping neighbors. The people who have used them in the camp situations have all been valuable and respected instructors so that we are more than willing to get used to them (the sound is fairly steady and rhythmic) and/or accept the earplugs that these folk bring along to hand out

11:59 p.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Get some EPO.

11:14 a.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Leave the CPAP at home. That's what I do. I figure that way I'll scare any bears within about a 10 mile radius and my wife sleeps so soundly when camping that I don't even wake her up.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply