Hello From Maine!

10:23 a.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi everybody!

New to the site so i thought i would get out there and say hey. Im a 21 year old outdoor enthusiast, and i spend every spare minute i have hiking, canoeing, or just going on a simple camping trip. i worked for 3 years at a summer camp in downeast maine called the Greenland Point Center. i started out there as a simple counselor and canoeing instructor. by the end of my 3rd year i was head counselor/cheif instructor of boating safety and leading week long canoeing trips down the st. croix river.

During the summer of '07 some of my close friends and I went on a week long backpacking trip to Yellowstone National Park. That was deffinetly one of my most unforgetable moments in the great outdoors. we have also hiked Mt. Katahdin, and done day hikes around Acadia National Park.

Im looking to get down to the white mountains this summer and do some of the bigger mountains in that region.

well if anyone has any advice or tips, let me kno!

Thanks All!

-Derek-

11:51 a.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hello and welcome to Trailspace

I am in N.Y. so I don't know much about that area I just wanted to say hi and welcome, I hope you like it here.

1:43 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, fellow Mainer.

It sounds like you have taken advantage of a lot of the outdoor opportunities in our state. Just keep on exploring. You'll enjoy the Whites too.

-Alicia

5:26 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey DRokn06,

Glad you found the site! Sounds like you have a good start on an exciting way to live, exploring the great outdoors!

I live in the Southeast, so I'm not familiar with your area, although I've been snowshoeing in the Whites.

Hope to see you around!

8:48 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I have read a lot of info on the Whites and have driven through them but never hiked. One common point everyone makes is to take rain gear and warm clothes. The weather closes in fast and bad situation have occurred from people being ill prepared. It snows every month of the year on average in the Whites.

Have fun!

2:59 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks guys!! Glad to be here, and thanks for the tip on the whites,,,,im getting my gear list together now. so hopefully in a week or two ill be up there!!!

Derek

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply