Old Woodsmans

9:48 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

A few years ago, when I re-discovered this sport, as a lark, I asked my daughters to give me a "special gift" for Father's Day--- a gift set I found on the internet that included two bottles of "Old Woodsmans" bug repellent and one of those old time felt hiking hats.

Well, although I had used it sparingly- my love of garlic seemed to do the trick- a week ago the bugs were too much so I went for the gold and put it all over my body. It worked as well as anything else I have used. When we got home, I unpacked my weekend travel bag and left the saturated hiking clothes on the floor to be washed....at a future time. Needless to say, my action did not promote a healthy marital arrangement.

Has anyone used this product ?

11:13 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I think it is just like Adirondack Black Fly Dope.

If so yes I have and it works well it is the best I have ever used although it stinks like hell.

10:53 a.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,052 forum posts

What are the active ingredients in Old Woodsman's and Adirondack Black Fly Dope?

We use Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent (oil of lemon eucalyptus). I think it works well. There is a somewhat strong smell at first, but I don't think it's a bad smell.

There's another product, made here in Maine, that I've used too. It was reddish, and occasionally stained stuff, but now I can't remember what it was. I'll have to look in the local general store the next time I'm there.

I think it was Lewey's Eco-Blends (formerly Buzz-Off). It uses essential oils of rosemary, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, peppermint, and soybean.

I prefer the Repel one though.

I also see that the Olde Woodsman's Dope is made here in Maine.

1:17 p.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Alicia I have no idea what the ingredients are, I have not seen Adirondack Black Fly Dope in many many years I remember it from when I was a teenager. I think it may have been one of those products that has been pushed out of production because of the ingredients. Personally I don't see the big deal it never hurt me nor did I grow an extra appendage. But you know how it goes "This product is known to cause cancer in the state of California"

11:33 p.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Like Mike068, I used that old time concoction, in my case, Old Woodsman's, way back in the day,along with REI Jungle Juice. Since my wife has sensitive skin, I have been carrying a skin sensitive solution by Cutters. I have to say I like that smell from Old Woodsman's....weird, I know. I also have no idea what the ingredients are. I'll look into the Repel product. Is it available in most outdoor stores?

2:17 a.m. on July 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Most all bug juice comes with some deet in it but in this neck of the woods if you want it to actually work you need to look for 100% deet but I can only find it small containers like 1oz - 2.5oz the good thing is you don't need much of it.

3:21 a.m. on July 3, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
709 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

Years ago I did three summers of trail work for the USFS. They supplied us with big government-issue spray cans of 100% DEET. We wore these orange fiberglass hard hats with a plastic (PVC) band kind of suspended from the shell by big plastic rivets. One guy thought he'd be smart and sprayed his hard hat heavily with DEET. About fifteen minutes later, probably when he was whacking at a root with a pickmaddox or something like that, his hard hat fell down over his eyes. The DEET had melted the plastic rivets.

Scary as it is, that didn't stop me from using DEET or, when I later worked in NZ, 100% DIMP (dimethylpthalate), in big brown bottles straight from the pharmacy. When the black flies come out, I want something that works, or nothing at all. When I tried Woodsman's years ago, it was DEET free, smelled pretty bad, and didn't work nearly as well as 20% DEET Cutter's. Maybe it's different now.

Having said all that, I don't think I've used any repellent at all in at least seven years -- the bugs never really get all that bad here in Norway, at least the parts I have travelled in.

Obvious question: are the essential oils used in natural repellents made from plant extracts less toxic than DEET or DIMP? That seems to be a general assumptions, but plants are pretty good at producing toxins...

8:52 a.m. on July 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I found where you can buy Old Time Woodsman and wow its expensive but if you have ever been in peak black fly season its a small price to pay.

Here is a Link
http://www.predatorpee.com/old_woodsman.html

Also here is another product that I have heard of but never used but it is suppose to work pretty good.
http://www.dancingroots.com/

Here is a short article about black fly's
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf598029.tip.html

Here is a recipe I cam across
"Three ounces of tallow, one ounce of camphor, one ounce of pennyroyal, one ounce of creosote. Mix, and cork tightly."

1:21 p.m. on July 3, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,052 forum posts

I buy the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent from REI when I have an order. It's probably in some outdoor stores, but I don't know for sure which ones.

I've had DEET melt stuff too. I think I was using the 100% in Alaska at the time. I'd use it again as necessary, but try to avoid it.

2:00 p.m. on July 3, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

In Alaska, the Sierra, and Africa, Barb and I have found that Ultrathon (timed release DEET lotion) works for about 6 hours and does not seem to produce any adverse reactions (such as the metallic taste that high concentration DEET does for me). As I have posted previously, the "naturel" repellents (like NaturPel and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus) seem to work for about 10 minutes, and the 100% DEET seems to last no more than a half hour before they start landing. Permethrin-soaked clothes (like Ex Officio's Buzz-Off shirts, or the DIY permethrin soaks you can get at REI) work very well (whole trip to Africa, though they don't protect exposed hands or legs exposed by shorts)

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply