isobutane/propane canister question

11:21 a.m. on July 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello guys I'm new to the forum. I have a question that maybe you can help me with.

I'm using a optimus crux stove with a snowpeak titanium pot/pan combo. When storing, I like to put two 4oz MSR Isopro canisters with the crux all inside the snow peak combo. It's a perfect fit with two canisters. This way I always have one full 4oz, and one partial 4oz with me. The down side is the cost of the 4oz canisters, and limited amount of fuel.

Here's my question; Do you know of any 8oz fuel canisters that are short like the 4oz MSR isopro canisters? So I might be able to pack two 8oz canisters in my setup?

Thanks for your help. Mike

11:33 a.m. on July 7, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Welcome Mike!

Well, if I read your post correctly, it seems your trying to put 8 oz. of sh-tuff into a 4 oz. can. I would imagine if Snowpeak (or any other manufacturer) could put twice the gas into 1/2 the space, they would have done it already. After all, that would save manu. cost creating more profit for the company.

How long do you go out for? 6+oz. of fuel should last quite a while. I've done a full week and a half with one 4 oz can and my Jetboil. I carried a spare, but never touched it. I'm sure others have done better than that.

12:32 p.m. on July 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Yeah, your probably right, I just thought I'd ask. Or I was thinking maybe someone makes a 5 or 6 oz canister.

I'm really trying to make the backpacking experience comfortable for my wife to be happy and go out with me. So I do carry a little too much gear. And sometimes, talking too much, not paying enough attention to the cooking as I should. Cooking for 2 for a week, this last week, I almost ran out of the 8oz I had with me.

Probably the best solution is to stuff an extra 8oz fuel canister in her pack next time. I always carry the lions share of gear, and she thinks I'm crazy as I try to cut weight with lighter and lighter gear. Last week she was laughing at me as I was replacing my standard guy line with Kelty triptease line to shave off ounces. I guess it is silly if you think about it.

Peace, Mike

1:25 p.m. on July 7, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

cruiser,

I think one thing you are looking for is a way of determining how much fuel is left, so you know whether to put in an extra canister. There are 2 ways. The easiest in the long run is what I do - weigh an empty canister of the right size on a kitchen scale (one that measures to the nearest 1/8 ounce or nearest gram). I have a list of the container "tare" weights for a variety of canisters, ranging from a couple brands of the tiny ones to the large nominally 16-ounce ones. You can then weigh the canisters as soon as you get back from the trip as part of your unpacking and write the weight on the canister in grease pencil. That way, when you are packing for the next trip, you can immediately see how much is left and determine whether to take one or two extras (maybe all you need is a 4 ounce canister, or maybe you discover you need several of the largest ones). This also helps you figure out exactly what your fuel consumption rate is for future planning.

Second way is that there are now 2 or 3 brands of temperature strips that change color with temperature. As you burn off the fuel from a canister, it is evaporating in the canister and cooling the remaining liquified fuel. The point at the change in color is your fuel gauge. This is not as accurate, but does give you a running gauge during the trip.

7:15 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a seperate question. I have an MSR Windpro stove and a Snow Peak gigapower lantern. If I use a MSR isobutene fuel canister for the lantern or vice versa is it gonna blow up on me or something? I thought I read somewhere only to use msr and snowpeak fuel for the stove and lantern respectively (don't mix brands), but can't find any legitimate reasons to back this up. Both canisters look to have the same threads for adapting it to the device. Are they not the same type of fuel? They read the same...

9:50 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have used all different kind's combination's and i'm still here. I have a Snow Peak gigapower lantern & stove. As far as I know of the type canisters that you will use are all acceptable.

11:20 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a seperate question. I have an MSR Windpro stove and a Snow Peak gigapower lantern. If I use a MSR isobutene fuel canister for the lantern or vice versa is it gonna blow up on me or something? I thought I read somewhere only to use msr and snowpeak fuel for the stove and lantern respectively (don't mix brands), but can't find any legitimate reasons to back this up. Both canisters look to have the same threads for adapting it to the device. Are they not the same type of fuel? They read the same...

I don't usually like "RTFM" answers but sometimes a question calls for it. A little bit of research would have led you, not only to answering your own question, but a better understanding of the whole subject, which is a very good idea, since most of us consider stoves an essential part of our gear.

OK, I will make up for my rudeness by giving you a great link. If you want or need to know more than this, you are on your own bubba:

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Stoves.htm

No kidding, it really is a good idea to have a firm understanding of this stuff. It will help you make really good decisions about what to take, how much of it, etc.

11:29 a.m. on July 17, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Thank you for the link.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply