hasmmock camping

10:11 a.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

My brother an I are going to do a pice of the foothills trail in SC and NC in october. And although I love my ENO hammock, I have never actually tried hammock camping. Anyone have any advice on this topic

10:42 a.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

All I know is that I slept like a baby when I took a few naps on our recent trip and I'm gung ho about taking it to the next level.

11:18 a.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I have a ENO hammock and a Hennessy Hammock and love them both. Spent many a night in both. One thing I find to aids me in a good night sleep is putting your sleeping pad in the hammock to sleep on. When I don't, my back gets cold even in 50s and 60s nights inside a 20 degree bag.

I was out in the Shenandoah National Park last weekend with other hammock campers.I had a pad, they did not. I was warm with just a Poncho liner then complained of being cold and they were in sleeping bags... and to be honest the nights we're not that cold. I'd try it both ways if I were you and you can make up your mind if it's worth it to you... Hope that helps....

P.S. And after you convert to a Hammock, think of all the fun you get to poke at those "ground dwellers" in tents :)

2:13 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I have spent many nights in my $20 Amazonas hammock. They can be very comfortable if you can get past the rocking sensation. Like Stranger said, if you don't have a sleeping mat in it with you, come 1-2 in the morning you are gonna wake up shivering if there is a slight breeze. Your sleeping bag insulation gets mashed flat and is pretty much useless to keep you warm on your back. I froze my balls off in the Florida Keys during a 70 degree night. But once I learned the pad trick its no problem to weather out a 35-50 degree night. I don't really recommend using it if you are going to get below freezing though as you will likely have a chilly night.

6:51 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Hey there jmcwatty,

The Foothills Trail is one of my favorite trails! The Blue Ridge Escarpment is hard to beat for scenery & variety.

Do you have the 'One Link System' or just a hammock?

I would think you would do just fine in a hammock during fall and early winter in this area as far as temperature is concerned. I would add at least a pad to help stay warm especially in windy conditions. When temps get below 50 deg. with wind chills you may want to get an underquilt (that is like a sleeping bag that hugs the bottom of the hammock) because as already mentioned, the sleeping bag offers little insulation from the bottom side since it will be compressed.

I have a Hennessy and do like it for three season use, although I still use a tent the most because I don't like to be trapped in a hammock during long rains etc. A large tarp helps with that and can be handy to have for a wind block as well.

I would definitely recommend trying your gear set up at home to see what changes are needed. Most people find that they need more insulation/clothing in a hammock than in a tent because wind chills will rob you of body heat from below. A pad or quilt helps with this, and sleeping in a properly rigged hammock is quite comfortable I've found, and also lets you camp in rocky areas where you could not pitch a tent of course.

So which section of the FT are you guys thinking of doing?

8:15 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Hey trout.

I originally just got the hammock as something to lounge in around camp. I then got the ENO fast Fly but have found myself just using it to hang my pack under. So now I am going to get the Pro Fly and the Guardian bug net. I really want to try it out.

We are going to do sloan bridge to Bad creek. Just got back from doing Russell Bridge on HWY 28 to Lick Log Falls on the Chattooga River trail. It was great!

8:18 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Do you guys use inflatable pads? Do you inflate them? How much?

11:21 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I have used the REI litecore 1.5 mummy cut pad and inflated it to max cap. It conforms to the shape of the hammock regardless of how much pressure you can puff into it. The other pad I have used as of recent, which I happen to like even better is the big agnes insulated air core mummy pad. It is by far the most comfortable pad I have ever used, even on the ground. I have never tried a closed cell pad in a hammock but could see it not working quite as well but still being functional.

9:05 a.m. on August 10, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

We have an under system for our hennesy hammock, it works well in cold temps. In the Clark, we use a Exped Downmat7 dlx, but only partially inflate it, just to where it holds shape.

9:25 p.m. on August 29, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I exclusively camp in hammocks now. For more information than you can shake a stick at, www.hammockforums.net

12:52 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I just started down the hammock camping road. I am making my own hammock and rain fly because I believe I can make it for half the price and the same weight. I read many tips on hammock sleeping

1. sleep on the diagonal if you want to lay flatter.

2. think about extra insulation(as many here have said)because there is little buffer between you and a stiff breeze.

3. if you switch from tent to hammock, always have a fly. Mostly for rain protection, but if you ever get caught in a windstorm you'll thank your lucky stars you brought one!

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply