About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Share your gear packing list(s) here

1:42 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

It was brought up in another thread, and I thought it worthy of its own.

So, if you're willing, please post your personal gear packing list(s). It would be helpful if you include for where and when you're packing (season, activity, locale, etc). It can be as specific or general as you like.

2:28 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Here is a link to a Basic gear list. You can download it in a PDF or a Word Document formats.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=06ea6e14984eb4be1686155677bb2685aea060d3980d5e6d

3:11 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I Live in NY so the Adirondacks and Catskills are my usual points of interest. Mostly weekend 2 day hikes.

I'm switching gears and trying to go HYPERLITE so I took out some things that I normally packed like a cooking pot, steel bowl, utensils and hand towel. All that sheds a good 2 lbs. Never carried fuel though, always cooked over an open flame.

This is what I'm preparing to pack for my next trip-

80L backpack, Knife (either fixed blade or folding depending on my mood), headlamp(possibly extra batteries), extra socks and undies!, rain jacket, rain pants, hiking boots(....obvious?), 30 degree mummy bag, Tent( I'm working on that...), fleece, bandana, 3L bladder & 2 nalgenes, Food(varies from trip to trip)

The list varies depending on weather, season, and length of stay

11:53 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm in the PNW. Just started to backpack a little over a year ago. I've gotten a lighter 2 man tent. No longer wear cotton. Got a SS cook set, bigger than I need but you never know. Most my hikes are over my weekends. I look back at what I would take last year compaired to this year. Much less, and lighter wieght. I've also added a alcohol stove.One knife and a very small multi tool. The other thing I carry is an extra section of tent pole. I took the shock cord out of them for faster and easier repair if needed.

9:40 a.m. on August 10, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Alicia,

I have several lists: day hikes, car camping, backpacking. There's a lot of overlap of course; the 10 Essentials are on all 3, for instance.

They are in Word .doc files and I don't know how to upload them, though. Being the Big Cheese around here, maybe you can tell me how to share them.

I've developed them over about 40 years in the outdoors -- wish I had some of the early typewritten versions to compare how much they've changed as time goes on and equipment improves!

12:54 p.m. on August 10, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Brerarnold You can use media fire or google docs.
I use media fire you can take a look if you click on my link above

2:37 p.m. on August 10, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

Hi, Brerarnold. Good question about uploading documents. I don't think we have a way to do that (beyond photo uploading), but will check on it. It's certainly something we should be able to do in the future.

In the meantime, you can try Mike's suggestion or do a basic cut and paste into a post. I'd be interested in seeing them either way.

3:23 p.m. on August 10, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

It's a pretty simple operation, media fire will accept any file format. Google Docs only accepts document file types obviously. I would personally recommend media fire has free membership or paid membership for very large file but anything under 100mb the free account will do just fine.

11:41 a.m. on August 11, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Thanks for the MediaFire suggestion, Mike. New one for me -- I guess you just can't keep up with everything. Anyway, here we go, my first try with it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0d8bf4af4a9695d50c814df2efeadc50a749b8794faf50c15be6ba49b5870170

(Edited to say:) Wow, it worked! First time! New tools are good!

BTW, the last time I revised these, it was to share with my Scouts. So I added stuff like emphasizing the Ten Essentials.

Also, I don't carry anything like all of this stuff, in any of the 3 lists, every time I go out. These are memory-joggers, and I feel free to eliminate anything I won't need.

2:00 p.m. on August 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Brerarnold I'm glad it worked good for you. Those are some nice lists they would work good for Boy Scouts to give them a basic reminder.

5:09 p.m. on August 12, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

I try to pack as light as I can. I have either a Mountain Hardware backpack or a Kelty Ski-touring daypack, Golite tent, Golite sleeping bag, Therm-a-rest pad, Pocketrocket stove,one quart cook pot w/lid, nylon spork, Gerber multitool, unless I am going for more than a couple days I wear on pair of zipoff nylon pants, one tshirt, wool socks, a widebrim hat, cycling gloves for rock bouldering, lowtop hiking shoes, sandals if in desert or river country. I use an old Nalgene bottle for a pee bottle so I dont have to get completely out of my bag or tent in the night.

I repack everything foodwise in Ziploc freezer bags, I take seasoning packets, I use two or three Sigg aluminium bottles, a Bic lighter.

I use a headlight and LED light, but try to always make camp an hour before dark so I dont have to use the lights unless absolutely nessessary. I sometimes carry hardwax candles for tent light.

3:12 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Here are links to my recent gear lists:

Summer 2009, 11.37 lbs : NH and Maine AT

http://sectionhiker.com/2009/06/18/summer-gear-list-2009/

Winter 2008, 31.02 lbs : NH White Mountains

http://sectionhiker.com/2009/03/12/winter-backpacking-gear-list-critique-away/

3:47 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

philipwerner

Nice lists, I guess your an ultralight hiker. Question do you keep a pre-made spread sheet if so could you post a copy of one if it could be easily adapted for other people.

7:16 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I actually don't consider myself an ultralight hiker. I still value my comfort.

I don't have a general purpose spreadsheet that I use and that's really shareable. But my friend Sam has one here http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pLvFrzvWtc4n3O6NDaH_2Vw

that seems pretty reusable.

8:04 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Thanks for the links but they don't seem to be a download-able spreadsheet.

8:20 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Yep. You got a point there. Sorry. :-)

10:06 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

philipwerner

No problem, thanks for trying.

8:17 a.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I saw something like this on BPL - I'll root around over the weekend and see what I can find, or I'll reverse engineer sam's format and post it on my site so people can download it.

Is Excel ok? Your virus protectors will freak on a MS document download.

10:50 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Brerarnold,

you used a typewriter? I used the trusty fountain pen; too many ugly words came from my mouth while going through rolls of that correction tape.

8:25 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Oh, I'm a fountain pen guy, too. From 3rd grade until this very day. But the old Brother daisy wheel typewriters sure had their moment in the sun -- my sun, anyway -- I am a fair typist so it was not that awful.

11:08 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

off topic, but,,
brerarnold, you and I are an old breed. I too remain a fountain pen guy; everything else is a crayon.

11:39 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

off topic, but,,
brerarnold, you and I are an old breed. I too remain a fountain pen guy; everything else is a crayon.

Crayon I love it, the last time I used crayon at work on work orders I got into trouble lol

8:09 a.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Here is a link to the gear list spreadsheets I referred to above. Backpacklinglight had a contest a few years ago, and these were the winners.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2005_trip_planning_spreadsheet_contest_winners.html

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply