Share Your Backcountry Recipes Here

10:09 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Here we can post our trail cooking recipes that we would like to share with others.

8:28 a.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Chilli

Ingredients:
¾ cup dry great northern beans
¾ cup dry pinto beans
¾ cup dry kidney beans
¾ cup dry black beans

1 large red onion, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped

4 cups vegetable broth
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1½ tablespoon dried oregano
1½ tablespoon dried basil
1½ tablespoon sage
2 4 oz. cans green chilli
4 jalapeno's minced (more or less depending on heat desired)

Directions:
1. Sort and discard debris from beans and rinse well.
2. Place beans in 3-4 quart pot with water; bring to a boil on high heat.
3. Turn heat down; cover and let simmer for 45 – 60 minutes. Drain and rinse beans and set aside.
4. While beans are cooking bring a pan to medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and green bell pepper and cook till onion is almost transparent.
5. Add onions and bell pepper to the drained beans along with all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil on high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

Notes:
1. I usually dehydrate chilli into a leather at home.
2. On the trail I’ll varry the amount of water I add back, depending on how sloppy I want the chilli.

12:21 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

how do you do it? I been told to put it in the oven on very low temp and even keep the door open and let it sit there for few hours? is that the right way?

12:26 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

nirotem - That is one way to do it. I use a dehydrator (that I picked up at a thrift store) and use cheese cloth to put the chilli on so that it doesn't slop through the cracks. I ussually end up using a few levels on the dehydrator so I'll change the order of the levels occasionally so that the bottom level doesn't look like a dry brick while the top level is just getting dried ... Hope this helps.

9:28 a.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Grind walnuts, flaxseeds, and raisins in a food processor, roll into balls, coat with unsweetened shredded coconut, and refrigerate overnight before eating. But, don’t hesitate to try different dried fruit (ie: apricots, blueberries, cranberries, dates) and nut (ie: almonds, cashews, pecans, pistachios) combinations, or even seeds (ie: hemp, pumpkin, sunflower) and spice (ie: cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla) combinations.

Also, don't forget to eat your greens while out and about! I had mentioned in an earlier post about these cloth bags, which can be used for coffee, herbal teas, and even sprouts. Today I found two neat little pages (http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting.html and http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/bag/hempbag.html) I thought would be worth mentioning for those of you that are interested, or new to sprouts and micro-greens. I feel the $9 price tag for the latter of the two pages to be a bit outrageous. Instead, you can sew your own mesh bag for what you can find while walking around in town, or less.. be thrifty, have fun, and remember to eat your greens!

3:14 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

How well does the chile keep? Does it always remain a leather or could I dehydrate to dry? If kept in the fridge will it last several months?

7:55 a.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Gary - I've taken the chille leather up to 3 days out on the trail but haven't tried it further then that. I've been told that the length of time that a leather will keep depends on how dry it is ... but I haven't had time to experiment with that personally.

As far as at home goes, I usually put any leather that I'm not going to use for a while into the freezer in a ziploc bag. I try and get as much air out of the bag as I can before putting it into the freezer.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply