Serious Question

10:38 a.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am physically fit but suffer from "diaper rash" for lack of a better term after a day of hiking. I where typical breif underware, should I where something else?

Seriously, it has effected my desire to go and definitely how far i go.

Any serious help would be appreciated.

Red eye

10:50 a.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I too have had some problems in this "area". Something I have found that works nicely is to stay AWAY from cotton under garments. Cotton holds moisture, and moisture is what causes the rash. Polyester, Mesh-type, breathable briefs have all but eliminated this issue for me.

Good luck!

11:12 a.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

No cotton underwear (as f_klock already said)!

Get some good fitting briefs or fitted boxer-briefs made out of synthetic material (the men folk can correct me if I'm wrong on this fit suggestion). There are also some wool and wool blend underwear, but I haven't tried those for personal underwear yet and if your skin is sensitive, it might not be the first thing you should try.

Anyway, there are a lot of non-cotton options out there. I really like the women's capilene hipsters from Patagonia, but you can get others from EMS and other stores. They may cost more, but buying a pair or two is definitely worth it and if they're decent quality, they'll last a long time. Look for sales and overstocks and buy whatever color/print they have in your size, if you want to save money.

After you address the underwear issue, make sure your outer pants/shorts layer is also non-cotton and isn't causing further chafing or moisture retention.

Good luck!

11:36 a.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

We have a saying in Troop13 regarding the best method of application of Gold Bond Powder to alleviate heat rash in the delicate areas:

"Lift and Fog"

11:54 a.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

HaHa..good one Brerarnold.

If you are in a cold climate try using synthetics, you may have to experiment with materials and styles to find wjat works best for you.

If you are in warmer climates just go commando. Much cooler!

um...but not with a Kilt please!

1:44 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Have to agree with everybody on synthetics. Got Exofficio boxers and have never regretted it. Alicia has an excellant point on pant/short material also. Everything needs to breathe.

There are products to coat problem spots before serious problems occur but have no personal experience with them though a packet of Sport Wax is in my first aid kit.

Only thing left to mention is the syn. boxers dry quickly so I wash mine at night and sleep in cotton somethings which seem more comfortable to sleep in to me..

3:44 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

+1 for ExOfficio briefs. Very breathable, good fit for me, and one can literally wash them with a little water and Dr. Broners, wring, and wear again. My body heat dries them in very short time, with no adverse effects.

+1 for a lubricant. There can be some animosity at first, but the alternative option is much worse when you really think about it; lube up.

4:41 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

taint paint

ttp://www.taintpaint.com/main.htm

never used the stuff, but i always wanted to buy some, even just for the novelty.
oh ya, and the F.A.Q.'s on that website are pure gold.

5:36 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

.ghost -- That is one of the funniest F.A.Q's and info page I have seen for a product in a long time.

7:12 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

Umm...continuing the lubricant mentions, I use BodyGlide sometimes on my inner thighs for running. It definitely reduces or eliminates any irritation from the occasional chafing.

I'd deal with the non-cotton underwear issue first though, since that's likely most of the original poster's problem.

Oh, and one more suggestion from a guy friend of ours who's done some adventure racing: lightweight synthetic compression shorts alone under your pants/shorts (not bike shorts though). I'm not a guy and I've never done it myself though, so take that as you like it.

Oh, and whatever you try, watch out for bad seams. You want seamless construction and paying a little more for decent fitting and designed underwear can be well worth it.

9:12 p.m. on August 30, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Oh, and whatever you try, watch out for bad seams. You want seamless construction and paying a little more for decent fitting and designed underwear can be well worth it.

To go along with that I've had compression shorts, with seams, that were good for keeping the chafing away. But after 10 - 12 miles they didn't help in regards to fending off a rash.

12:19 a.m. on August 31, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I wear briefs made by Jockey. Not sure what model-not the skimpy ones made of cotton though; these are made of a synthetic blend and are great for winter camping or skiing. They have about a one inch waistband and say Jockey across the front in block letters. Very comfortable and no problems with heat rash from sweating.

4:29 p.m. on August 31, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Try Underarmour Heatgear Boxer Jock 9".

I've been using them all year and no monkey butt.

12:05 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Well I ware boxer briefs they don't ride up or chafe. You could also try regular boxers. You also look into skivies mad of a wicking material this also may help. Because the mostly cotton material holds the moisture from your sweating and the wicking material would help move it away from you body. But for me when its hot and humid I usually go commando, Its cooler and I get more air circulation. Because of the fact that I am a heavy sweater.

2:11 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Regular boxers are killer on the trail. They bunch up and entangle your junk and who needs that. I've since bought some Underarmour synthetic boxer briefs with a tight fit. I don't particularly like to wear them (I prefer to free-ball it), but they eliminate chaffing and wick moisture, and that's a godsend while backpacking.

Also, you might just try to go without anything, as trouthunter suggested. I prefer that, but sometimes I can still get chaffing on my inner thigh from whatever pants/shorts I happen to be wearing. In that case the synthetic snug boxer briefs are ideal.

10:09 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

We have a saying in Troop13 regarding the best method of application of Gold Bond Powder to alleviate heat rash in the delicate areas:

"Lift and Fog"

Menthol! (and a womans powder puff) Very humid where I work and play.

11:51 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Another +1 for ExOfficio briefs. Expensive, but a great produce.

10:32 a.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

If I do anyting in the outdoors I wear synthetic boxer briefs especially if it is hot and humid outside. Under Armor has a good product.

4:07 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I had a similar problem that didn't last long after I discussed it with a doctor. he prescribed a medicated ointment that used regularly for a few weeks. rash went away and didn't come back until much later. i still had some of the ointment left, so i applied a little and it hasn't been back since. that was a year ago and even during this past summer i didn't seem to have a problem. the ointment isn't terribly expensive if you have insurance and i'd hate to see you change out an entire wardrobe if this would help. good luck to ya and happy hiking!

3:57 p.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I would recommend running shorts.

5:38 p.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I've been using Vaseline and compression shorts, and this combo works well for me.

11:13 p.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
245 forum posts

Like f klock I also swear to polyester mesh. In my country I have bought a lot of these products

http://www.brynje.no/public/index.php?cccpage=webshop_l1&set_language=en

Keeps me warm even if I'm sweat, dries rapidly, "feels" dry even when wet. Only con is the price, but that hurts only once. I like it so much I use it for everyday-use, even now as I write I have this on.

10:48 a.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

No cotton is very much the key here.Cotton gets wet and stays that way.As for Gold bond,Vaseline or Butter,the type for bike riding,it is a matter of what you like best.Try the non cotton briefs,many on the market, and play around with the lube to find the best combo for you.

4:58 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
69 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

No Cotton! Remember: "Cotton Kills". (In more ways than one)

Keep clean. I recently learned about and used the "Combat Bath" antimicrobial towelettes available from Sportsmansguide.com. They work great. One towel can bathe your whole body top to bottom in a waterless environment. Of course, the area in question should be the LAST area you clean :). It's the cleanest I've ever been on a backpack trip (5 nights - minimal funk).

I use Champion synthetic boxer briefs. They are not expensive, light, seamless and conform well to your body to protect you. Or go without.

11:14 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

+1 on the wipes. Walmart sells biodegradable wipes that have many, many purposes. This is one of them. Starting clean helps keep the rash away.

5:54 p.m. on October 2, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Ex-Officio boxer briefs all the way. And just regular Johnsons baby powder. The combo should be all you need.

And, dont worry about the brand, Champion boxer briefs work just as well,just make sure you use synthetic (polyester or nylon) and you will be okay.

2:10 a.m. on October 5, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

+1 for EXOFFICIO!!!! Personally, they are the best for me!

Also, there is a powder you can get from Gander Mountain called, no kidding,
"Monkey Butt"..... it is like $6.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply