Ken Burns...The National Parks!

4:18 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

I am sure that you have all been watching the new Ken Burns film, six episodes in all, of the National Parks. I have seen them all and it was the best TV I have watched in a long time. Good old Teddy Roosevelt...and so may others, like John Muir, that gave us all these awesome places to visit. It does give you back your sole, when you are out in the wild. I know it has for me, as with the job hunt not going so good, a trip in the back country just settles the emotional dust of the mind. So much talk about gear and the such, and old JM would go out for days with a simple pack. can you imagine backpacking Yosemite with Teddy Roosevelt? Wow...that's what John did.

If you want to get a great Xmas Present for someone, and especially if they have a blue ray player and a nice TV, get the National Parks Blue Ray set for them. If you have not already been watching the shows, be sure to, but make sure you watch them in order. I hope it is OK to place this here, as I thought that where better for this post than in the Backcountry.

The National parks....the best idea...Ken Burns....the best filmmaker.

4:42 p.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

yes. these shows are terrific. i didn't get to see all of them, but i really loved the first episode especially. john muir has been a hero of mine for a while now, and i am tearing through all of his books. i also love the whole sierra range, from kings canyon to sierra to the sequoia groves to yosemite. i can't wait to finally get back there. and i agree about such programming putting the proverbial wind back into your sails, if you will. rarely does any television programming accomplish this. good luck on your job hunt, snakey, and happy trails!

10:02 p.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I agree, some of the best TV I have seen in a while!

There is also a John Muir trail in the southeast, I have hiked a short section of it through TN.

10:04 p.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I was impressed with the money given by private Americans, especially Mather who paid out of his own pocket. Can't see a bureaucrat doing the same today. Can't see the billionaires of today (liberal or conservative, especially the liberals who have so much to say) giving away to the National Parks what the Rockefellers gave.

1:13 a.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

If I ever hit the powerball, I would like to buy a vast piece of land and establish Bison heard....a big free roaming heard, so that people could see what it was like when they roamed the country.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply