Taylor Mitchell

9:02 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Saw a report today. A 19 yr old young lady and promising recording artist was killed by coyotes while hiking alone somewhere near Cape Breton, Canada. She was on or about to start an east coast tour. She was found alive and transported for medical treatment, but died the following morning if I recall correctly. Ok, here's a start http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2009/10/29/coyotes-attack-kill-canadian-singer/

12:02 a.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Just read the reports. One source from Canada said that coyotes are not hunted in that Nova Scotia park and are therefore not afraid of humans. In Prince Edward Island they are hunted and trapped and are not a problem to humans. (CBC internet article) One official said she may have tried to run from them, causing them to see her as prey. In most US states , I understand, they are overpopulated , considered vermin and can be killed on the spot. This is a very upsetting story. I will stop talking now.

6:42 a.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Just wanted to let you know that this story was mentioned in the blog and already has some comments over there too:

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/10/29/canadian-folk-singer-killed-by-coyotes.html#comments

9:56 a.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

I remember when coyotes first started appearing in NS in the 1970's. They rapidly spread across the province. Farmers at the time lost a lot of sheep, but gradually began to keep Kuvasc, Komondors, Great Pyrenees, and other excellent sheep guard breeds who lived with the sheep day and night. Quickly livestock killings dropped. Small pets disappeared, but fishers take those as well.

These coyotes are typically much larger than Western coyotes. The prevailing habitat for them in eastern NS and Cape Breton is spruce forest with minimal hardwoods, cut over many times. Not many deer per sq mile, little farmland, small rodents would be their main prey. At this time of year they are getting especially hungry.

With two snarling canines the size of small Alsatians approaching from two directions, it would be hard not to run. The local trees (spruce) tend to be stunted, so I doubt climbing was an option. Even if the young lady stood her ground, the attack would probably have occurred.

We should remember that we are not always the top of the food chain. To carnivores, we are carne.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply