Winter Activity

6:15 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Even though I enjoy hiking in the winter, I've noticed that I just don't seem to get out as much during the winter months ... and I was just curious if this is the same for others.

6:40 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I work outside all summer and spend my winter at school in front of the computer watching cartoons or making/shopping for gear. It sucks being in a city in the winter with no car, there's not a lot to do, so a friend and i decided to pull big tires and plow the sidewalks when we're bored. It's good exercise and beats sitting at a desk all day or drinking beer, another winter favorite. But i still manage to piece together a couple week-long trips and a few week-enders with the buddies.

7:07 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

I don't go out as much during the winter, but like [b]Franc[/b], I make time for a few trips. During the winter you face different challenges that require some different skills so by going out it helps to hone your overall skills. I try to be well rounded in my ability.

7:46 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Living in the Southeast, winter is relatively mild. I enjoy hiking and backpacking in winter.

I also love wade fishing in winter, a little sleet just tops it off.

8:53 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

I am in the South East. Winter is mild. My closest elevations are under 6400'. I love winter. It is so peaceful. Less crowded. Challenging at times. No bugs. The list goes on. I miss winter - all summer long.

Why do you think your trips are less frequent in the Winter?

When I was focused on whitewater I used hiking as a winter hobby to keep busy (and entertained). Maybe you could find a substitute for hiking during the cold months. Or find a partner that loves winter hiking and try that for a while.

9:10 p.m. on November 4, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Good thing all you folk do not live in California. The weather here is terrible and you would have to stay indoors in the city all the time. I, on the other hand have to suffer with bicycling or hiking every weekday and skiing and ice climbing in the Sierra most weekends, with the occasional rock climbing trip to Pinnacles.

See, the problem is that all year around here in the SFBay area, we have to suffer with monotonous weather - highs in the 60-80 range, lows in the 30-60 range, mostly sunny, with a few days of rain, when there is snow above 2000-3000 ft, though in Fall and Spring, the rainy days bring many feet of snow above 6000-7000 ft. Plus when it is dumping snow in the Sierra, we have to put up with the snowplows on the road, keeping all the snow off to the point we have to put the vehicle into 4WD (except our Subaru which is in AWD all the time). In the spring we have to put up with lots of whitewater in the rivers, calling for the kayaks to be pulled out of the garage.

So be glad you live in climates where you get to spend lots of time indoors taking care of exciting things like working on your income tax return (see, out here, we generally only have a couple days to do the taxes at the last minute, because of being forced to spend all that time outdoors riding the bike, hiking the trails, running the rapids, sliding down the snowy slopes, and all those terrible things).

So stay FAR AWAY FROM CALIFORNIA! You don't want to suffer from overexercising, overhiking, and overskiing!

11:33 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Hell's Bells, I LIVE for winter skiing/snowshoeing and camping. I'm a ski patroller and this is my 12th year at that, including the 1979 Pre-Olympics and the '80 Olympics at Lake Placid (Nordic patroller then, alpine last 2 years).

I used to teach Army ROTC cadets winter survival, in class and on tactical overnighters. We'd insert W/ Chinook choppers. FUN! And the nighttime shoot-em-ups were fun also.

Eric

8:28 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

usualy i winter camp as much as i can but we havent got near as much snow as we normaly do and i had knee sergery 5 months ago so i have been spending a lot of time in da weight room.

9:51 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

In the Washington DC metro area, winters are pretty mild. i miss true winter hiking and camping, but with weather this mild, it's not much of a barrier to being outside. in many ways, winter is a better time to hike here. any temperatures below freezing send people into a panic, and the trails are empty.

11:30 a.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am out this time of year just as much as any other time. I love the different view of the landscapes I frequent with the snowfall. So far this year we have had a decent amount of snow and temps with windchill have dropped into the negative numbers a few times. Hot or cold I am going out. I don't deal well w/cabin fever.

leadbelly, isn't it funny how the whole city shuts down when they get an accumulated snowfall? I was born in Silver Spring Md. and my family had a business in DC(SE 8th)and alot of my family still lives in the area(Ft. Washington, Damascus, Rockville, Bethesda, and across the Potomac(Va..)

I am very familiar w/the area. I'm there @ least 10x a year.

10:09 p.m. on January 18, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

I too love the winter, but sadly we have had little snow here though it has been very cold for a time. Since I live above the Polar Circle, the days are short still, but I have seen the sun for the first time already :) We usually take the first trips longdistance skiing in the beginning of February.

Pros for winter: easier travel, one cover longer distances and rivers and lakes may be crossed over the ice. With the dog pulling 30 kg in the pulk, I have more safety and lux with me. Cons are just the colder climate and more awareness for avalances and bad weather.

11:54 p.m. on January 18, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Hey Otto, no snow? Hard to believe. We are even getting snow in the mountains here in Southern California. First big storm in a long time.

3:51 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Money. Winter gear often just costs more and you need more of it.I also tend to have to do a bit of travel to reach my preferred activities, and travel is more difficult in the winter, especially when one of southern Ohio's famous "wintery mix" storms blow through and leave 3 - 4 inches of solid ice on everything...including the roads.

I vow eventually to make it to this annual winter hike a couple hours from my home. It takes place in the Hocking Hills region of Ohio, an area known for it's dramatic landscape compared to the rest of Ohio's hill country. Alas, it's still only a day hike

5:32 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I look forward to my winter treks all year.

7:01 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I personally have not had the chance to do any outdoor activities this winter de to a nasty spill scrambling over some rocks in late fall. This left me in a knee brace for a week and a severe spained ankle. This along with doctor's orders to take it easy for a few months has had me dreaming of getting back out to the woods. My grounding is now coming to an end and I have a bad itch. Of course the fall was jst completely lack of contration and stupidity on my part.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply