About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

RSN to become Outside (magazine) Television Network.

11:08 a.m. on December 13, 2009 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

After the announcement of Nat Geo Adventure shutting down, This is interesting...

http://www.rsn.com/node/7203

1:07 p.m. on December 14, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

An interesting comment in the article is that both RSN and Outside have large bases of "affluent"consumers. There is also a reference to "lifestyle" as their target audience.

I have run into a few people at the Outdoor Retailer Show whose motivation is targeting the "consumers" of the outdoor "lifestyle", who they perceive as "affluent". While many of the exhibitors are what I might call "believers in the cause", I think there are way too many of the people in the "outdoor business" (and other businesses) whose main goal is parting "affluent" people from their money, and playing on the "lifestyle" (that is, what people want to be perceived as) as a means of doing this. Again, my perception - too many people do not really believe in what they are doing, they just have found something they think they can use as a way of making money. I think this explains a lot of why the sock people, for example, are pushing "this season's exciting new colors" instead of improvements in the durability, comfort, and general functionality of the product.

A lot of the magazines and TV shows about outdoor sports are really all about how to pass yourself off as an adventurer and outdoorsperson, not really about how to do things in the outdoors.

1:20 p.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I have been a long time reader of Outside, but haven't read it regularly for years. Some of the writing is very good-Tim Cahill, Jon Krakauer, for example, but most of the advertising is aimed at people who make way more than I do. $250 pairs of sunglasses and $7500 mountain bikes are not uncommon in the gear sections they run. Nothing inherently wrong with this stuff, just not things the average outdoor user needs.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply