How comfortable is a sling chair really?

11:10 a.m. on December 14, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm developing an alternative to the popular folding camping chairs you see everywhere and would appreciate your thoughts on chair comfort. I'm doing market research to determine if I should continue with my current approach. Here's the question (It's directed mostly at people who already use chairs while hiking and camping):

If you saw an alternative to the current folding sling chairs (the ones with the x-pattern legs that stuff into a long stuff sacks) that was (1) as light or lighter and (2) the same price, but was more comfortable, would you buy it? Or are the current chairs comfortable enough?

Thanks for your help!

12:07 p.m. on December 14, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

Actually, there are a large number of variations on the camp chair theme - folding chairs as you mention, but also folding stools, the CrazyCreek style of folding pad, the sleeves that you can put a sleeping pad in (either inflatable or foam pad), and so on. Maybe you are thinking of the kind of "chair" I was given that is basically a fanny pack plus a foldout section that has sleeves that you slip over your ski tips (skis stuck in the snow), that forms a sling chair. That one is really light, as long as your are backcountry skiing. There is a similar one I have seen that uses your hiking poles. And people often just sit on their packs.

12:14 p.m. on December 14, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the response! I'm talking about any chairs that suspend you above ground, have their own legs, and use fabric for the seat and back, but that fabric is in one continuous piece or a bag-like shape. I know - I'm talking like an engineer! Is that type of chair so uncomfortable that a more comfortable one is worth developing?

3:54 a.m. on January 5, 2010 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

i have one that da frame telascopes out makeing it like a little hammock.is comfy once you get in it but its hell getting out.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply