Scary camper

6:51 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Boy what would you do if you ran into this character sitting on a log near yer camp?

Bill S when he was just a kid... gee those don't look like trail runners Bill. One thing I always liked about going BPing with Bill is they would assume I was as old as him and let me use the senior menu at Burgerking - Senior drink sir...

Jim S

7:35 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Gee, kinda looks like Bill had to sit down and wait on someone.

But...I wasn't there.

What year was that, and where were you guys?

8:11 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Someplace in the west side of the sierras

Nah not waiting - look he's tweeting someone. About 1997 I'd say. Well maybe he is waiting on me, I was recovering from a shattered knee cause Bill told me I didn't need spikes to enter my first orienteering race. He probably saved my life though as I was finally in shape to join my ski mountaineering buddies and since they were world class I could have been broken up even worse. Madam Disa my numerologist told me that I had entered my period of surrender... and they found my ski mountaineering buddies body on Mt McCoughlan in Oregon, died of a heart attack - dead before he hit the ground. RIP

Jim S

9:45 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

trout,

That was near Wishon Dam, in the Crown Valley area, headed toward Tehipite Valley. That white pack I am leaning on is the Kelty Cloud that Jim and I mention from time to time. We both had them on that trip. We had set them down to pump water from a creek, when a packer, his two clients, plus a pack horse (or mule? I forget) came up to the stream, and the horses shied from the white packs. The packer demanded that we pick up the packs. Seems the horses thought they were some predator. I always wondered what the horses would do at a snow bank in the spring time.

Our packs each were under 20 pounds for that 3 days in that very beautiful part of the Sierra. Jim's pack was a bit heavier than mine, because he brought a bottle of California's finest "fruit of the vine".

Gee, Jim, I hadn't seen that photo before. Looks like it might be near our Duck Lake campsite.

9:50 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

That white pack I am leaning on is the Kelty Cloud that Jim and I mention from time to time. We both had them on that trip.

I immediately noticed the pack and was going to ask if it was a Spectra one. Do you still have and use yours?

10:28 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Bill

I forgot about the packer, then his pack mule immediately crapped right in the stream, guess the packs scared it out of him. That wasn't the only time I've had horses shy from my white pack. Once I was wearing it, we had trouble finding a spot for me to stand so the horses would pass. BTW you have to watch the myth busters show about elephants and mice, they actually are afraid of mice.

Alicia

Actually I think Bill meant white phantom , the original non-modular one like mine, 51 oz as I recall. Mine had the water proof lining disintegrate so it looked like everything in my pack was covered with dandruf. I sent it back to Kelty QA to check out. About two weeks later I called Kelty to see what was up and the gal says "Dude they sent ya a new pack", and the doorbell rang and I asked her to wait a sec, and it was UPS with a new pack! It is the white cloud 6500 a totally modular model but no Ti stays, however the white cloud had no side pockets as it was strictly a high altitude climbing pack, the cloud has 4 side pockets, shovel pocket and top pocket that are all removeable as are all of the straps and it has interchangeable waist belts. Stripped its 29 oz I think with the light belt. I bought another white phantom from Western Mountaineering that they had got for free and used as a haul sack on El Capitan to try to destroy it and it had a small cut in it, and I sold it to a buddy who still has it in almost unused condition. Hes the guy with my old TNF Westwind tent too, so maybe when I get a good job he'll sell them back to me as he is much to old now to backpack, yep hes 3 years younger than me. Hes the guy who got lost in his long underwear he he. Oh yes he would hate me if he ever read any of this - nice boy from the Bronx, shoulda seen his eyes the first time a bear approached us in Kings Canyon hehe.

Jim S

10:55 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

Jim (and Alicia),

No, it is a Cloud 4500 Lg, according to the label on it. It is very modular, with the side pockets, shovel pocket, stays, hip belt, top pocket, ice tool straps, lots of gear attachment loops, ski attachments, etc etc removable, strips down to the main bag at slightly under 2 pounds. It is about 4 pounds full-up with the attachments. Yes I still have it, and use it from time to time. And yes it is Spectra. It is no longer the pure white color (except for the thread, logos, and straps). I could probably wash it, but that would spoil its "character".

10:08 a.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Apart from being light, how do the packs carry? Solid suspension system? I've not seen one in the flesh, but would love to score one in a thrift store someday.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply