Selk bag 2, wearing 2 with Zippo hand warmers.

8:42 a.m. on March 11, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

hi chaps, i have read the reveiws on the selkbag body shaped sleeping bag with arms and legs in another thread post.

Now there is a new selkbag that they reakon gives a few more degrees greater warmth. I know about the bad points about these bags is the surface area getting the legs and arms cold compared to a mummy sleeping bag.

But i have a small rigid inflatable boat and the only place to sleep is in the triangle bow seat at the front with my legs one either side on the centre steering console.

I was thinking about wearing two selkbags 2's, one small medium inside and the outer one larger, for temperatures near to zero or minus two degrees.

But what if you use those Zippo petrol hand warmers/heaters in the arms/ legs areas. Do you think this would provide a warm night sleep?

Your advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

9:34 a.m. on March 11, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Welcome riverkeeper!

0 degrees Centigrade=yes

0 degrees Farenheit=no

At 0 degrees F, I suspect you'll not be "warm," but maybe that's more a function of how many handwarmers you can bring with you, how warm/cold you sleep, how much you ate that day, your metabolism, etc...

1:58 p.m. on March 11, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks Pillowthread,

I was thinking of degrees centigrade, 0 or somtimes minus 2.

I hardly ever use fahrenheit, i would'nt realy want to be sleeping outside of a boat in minus 18 centigrade, i might be a little crazy but im not totaly nuts. :)

I figured i would put some paracord onto the back of my A frame at the stern and tie the cord to the bow and put a tarp over it to make a basher.

I use two relativly cheap vango sleeping bags inside each other, 1 medium summit 1000 and 1 large horizon bag. i sleep on my other boat with the cabin door open as to not get condensation in the cold weather and with the sleeping bags hood both on i am realy cosy.

so i thought that these selk bodybags would perform ok if doubled up with a little internal heat source such as a couple of zippo hand warmers.

I just wondered if anyone has used these selk bag model number 2's. and as to the loft and insulating properties.

I will eat some porridge oats flapjacks before bedding down and a hot cup of coco.:)

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply