Teacher killed by wolves in Alaska

9:14 a.m. on March 13, 2010 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This is an interesting article about a teacher who was killed in Alaska by a wolf attack.

Fatal attack is 1st on U.S. soil in more than 50 years

10:43 p.m. on March 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Pretty rare it seems. The link has a photo-shopped picture of a pair of male wolves snarling at each other by the way. Pretty unprofessional, too. A search reveals that the story is legit however.

I'll bet there are a lot more dog attacks on people in the course of a year than wolf attacks. But "Little Red Riding Hood" and Peter and The Wolf" feature wolves, so our earliest little kid fears favor the wolf, or disfavor him. Were I in Alaska I'd not be going unarmed into the boonies anyway, what with bears and lunatics in ample supply. I'd not be comfortable being under-dressed.

You know, you don't go bowling in street shoes.

In any case it's a terrible thing however/whoever/whatever done it and my thoughts go out to her family.

Drake

11:09 p.m. on March 16, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

A sad event. I wish her family and loved ones well, and pray for each of them.

10:15 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

She was actually from the Pittsburgh area. Her parents still live here.

Oh, and I totally agree. That picture is a bit over the top. Its the media what do ya expect other than make the bad out to be the worst it can be and make the good the best possible....

10:36 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

this is very sad and unfortunate.were i live and play da wolf grows in number and da hunters say da deer pop. goes down.i frecqently day hike and backpack solo.there are times when i feel as tho im being watched a very erie felling.i was skateing on da snowmobile trail a week ago and a big wolf ran rite down da middle of da trail.this stoy will fuel da fight to start to kill da wolf.i guess we all need to step back and think about how we could avoid this from happening to us.mabe bells and whistles are an answer.ive come apon bear that scaired very easy by just snapping my treking poles together and shouting bear bear bear.i mite by a hi pitched dog wistle it mite help in a wolf attaic.ill say a prayer for da loved ones as well.

2:27 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

The death is very sad. I'm sorry for her and her family.

As others have said, the Photoshopped snarling wolves picture is unfortunate and inappropriate. A news organization should know better than to use something like that. It doesn't add to the coverage or a better understanding of what actually happened to this woman.

3:39 p.m. on April 10, 2010 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I read about Candice on a Wednesday evening in my university's quarterly magazine, The Rock. As an educator, her dedication inspired me to write a letter to her to express my admiration for her work, especially for the children in need of special education services. On Thursday afternoon, I put a letter together and planned on getting her address from a friend who works for Slippery Rock University. That evening I heard about her death. Crazy stuff. Here is the article. . .it's on page 8.

http://administration.sru.edu/publicrelations/RockMagazine/RockMag-Winter2010.pdf

1:07 a.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

This is the second fatal attack by wolves on people in North America in the past 5 years. In 2005 a man was attacked and killed in Canada.

If one were to analyize most of the fatal attacks by wolves, both, and attacks by bears we will find a common thread, most were precipitated by an action that we, the human, initiated.

In Candice's incident, as tragic as it is, a couple things standout as markers that should have not been found. I am not blaming her but each of us when we go into the wilderness MUST understand the rules that are real and not bring our habits to an area that they are inappropriate.

The wilderness she was in was having problems with 4 wolves that were somewhat habituated to humans. Bad thing. These wolves had been seen in the village on numerous occasions and the local native and non native populations were taking steps to protect themselves. Like not allowing kids to playout after school and even at school. Some recess's were cancelled. Yet Candice decided to run on a road that went to the airport, wearing an IPOD that allowed her to miss a connection to the local environment. She was a small woman and a large target. Plus she was running. This kicks off instictive behavior in most predator animals.

We are all responsible for our own actions and should live by the local conditions. Her behavior might have been correct in Pittsburg or many other cities, in wilderness Alaska it was not. Again I do not blame her but she should have understood the problems that could arise from her behavior.

Should the wolves involved be killed, of course. Once an animal is habituated and has no fear of humans they become dangerous. I do not believe that it should be open season on wolves. If it should be open season we should also start shooting cars as they kill more than wolves ever will.

I work as a wildlife photographer and bear researcher. I am the founder of Bears Unlimited. We do education, research and preservation activities. I spend many hours each year with bears and wolves in the wild. On the Yukon last summer I had brown bears and wolves walk through my camps when I slept. Nice to be greeted by large tracks next to your tent in the morning. I do not fear them as I know what causes them to attack and I provide security for myself to stop such an issue. I do a great deal of my work solo. It is just knowledge and understanding that we live in thier home when we are there. It is sad that a young woman died in this manner but we all need to understand that we have a place in the wilderness and a resposibility to protect ourselves.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply