How are things at your nearby state parks?

1:09 p.m. on March 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

We're working on a story about how state parks are balancing demands for budget cuts among rising usage by people trying to save a few bucks amid the recession.

I'm curious if any of you have seen evidence of state parks' straitened conditions, either by deferred maintenance, limited hours, outright closings, or some combination of all three.

Also, if you've heard of innovative ways states are dealing with their parks' issues, feel free to share.

Thanks in advance.

6:27 p.m. on March 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I recently spent a few days with a friend down in Francis Marion (SC). I was flying out of Wilmington so we spent a night at Huntington Beach State Park in Myrtle Beach.

After settling in, we took a peek in the woods behind our "Rustic" tent site and were mesmerized. It was a food graveyard. Anything and everything that the raccoons had gotten there paws on was out there.

It appeared that the campground "host" was performing the cleanup duties as he came by with a trash bag to each site. The landfill behind them wasn't touched, so I can only classify that as "deferred maintenance".

Also, I don't know if it's normal this time of year, but if you left the park and came back after 8:00PM, you had to unlock the gate yourself with a combination as there would be nobody attending the entrance to the park.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply